Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

useless kite knives

forum for kitesurfers

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

Re: useless kite knives

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Years ago my hook knife saved my life. I crashed and landed about 6ft past my bar. This was an early C-kite. While collecting myself, I felt a line around my right ankle. I reached down and removed it but couldn't see what I was doing. Shortly afterward the kite relaunched and began to loop, pulling me by my right leg. I remember being under water trying to use the P.o.S. hook knife and thinking WTF this thing isn't cutting! It eventually worked but it scared me enough to get a new double blade hook knife. Most likely I won't need it again but I won't kite without a knife of some sort.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:50 am

Tyrone Rabinowitz wrote:Years ago my hook knife saved my life....
Most likely I won't need it again but I won't kite without a knife of some sort.
First documented case here. Perhaps knives are occasionally useful after all. They are not bulky; so why not?

Are there reported cases of riders being killed or injured by not being in position to cut the lines?
I still believe there are more tools that are more likely to save lives and that no one cares to take along.

A strobe light or emergency beacons, for example. There are numerous examples of guys than went adrift and could not be located in time or at all to rescue them. Granted, a locator should not be required at all times and in all spots, unlike the knife.

Helmets are hardly worn...that's a topic well covered. A guy who has a knife but no helmet hasn't got his priorities right. Caring about looks can kill.

More useful props anyone thinks of?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 am

alexrider wrote:
Tyrone Rabinowitz wrote:
Helmets are hardly worn...that's a topic well covered. A guy who has a knife but no helmet hasn't got his priorities right.
Helmets and kite knives "go together like love and marriage".
Attachments
1hk.jpg
1hk.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 883 times
2hk.jpg
2hk.jpg (120.05 KiB) Viewed 883 times
3hk.jpg
3hk.jpg (120.37 KiB) Viewed 883 times

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:59 am

windyway wrote:
I bought a NEW knife from a well known kite brand at my local shop.
It would not cut a tensioned line.

WW
By any chance was this the new knife, which did not cut the line? The reason I ask is because the blades do not appear to be correctly inserted. I will explain in detail what worries me about what I see in this picture, if anyone is interested.
Attachments
New knife.png
New knife.png (61.85 KiB) Viewed 838 times

kochease
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach
Manzanita, Or
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Xenon Kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor

Postby kochease » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 am

kochease wrote:
I had to use my knife once in the water, so glad I had it. ...

Alexrider wrote: In which circumstances ? It would be interesting to know.
Was it a whale that got caught in the lines an dived, pulling you along?
I have used it twice now. Last time I was doing a self rescue when the wind shut off. In my local river tide going out and running out of beach. I took my leash off to tie my board to myself so I could roll up my kite and paddle in, well I went to grab the bar to roll the lines up and the bar had sank to the bottom of the river and got caught on a snag. On a 2010 airush bar. It was too deep down to swim and free it, I tried. I swam down 20 ft crawling down the lines but couldnt make it any further. So I decided to ditch the bar and finish swimming in, it was already dark and I was the only guy on the beach. Tide was ripping out so hard and so much resistance on the kite I couldn't get the lines taken off the kite. I had been in the water over 3 hours by now, tired and cold. I took my knife out and just cut the lines, freed the kite and went to the bar for some shots of whiskey to warm myself back up and mourn the loss of my brand new kite bar.

2nd time was more critical, was ocean riding, went for a jump loop transition and my bar snapped in half at peek of my kite loop. dropped me like a rock and somehow my foot got in a line when I fell. the kite broke 3 lines when the bar broke and it started spinning out of control. I ejected from leash but was still getting dragged through the waves by the kite line wrapped around my leg. I reached for my knife and cut myself free blind.
I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have a knife on me. It was dragging me under water alot!! maybe the kite would have eventually crashed freeing me or maybe not and it could have dragged me till I drowned. But all I know is I am extremely glad I keep up on my knife maintance.

Plus my kitemare expierences is a good way for me to drill home safety, safety, safety, to my students, always prepare for the worst!!! It can save your life. Don't get lazy, take the extra minute to be propared. It only takes a minute, make it a habit. :thumb: :thumb:

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:51 pm

So, which double-bladed kite knife is best - assuming maintenance??

Yesterday my kite went down about 1/3 mile out and I soon realized line(s) had caught on lobster trap buoy. Eventually had to release from bar, got to kite and my single-blade knife was useless. I got outside lines off the kite leaders but no luck on front lines. I started swim into beach and a jetskier picked me up. Then the harbor patrol was nice enough to go out and cut the kite free and I got it from them. But lost bar/lines.

Knife was not rusty but just did not work!

I'm going to get 2 and attach in different areas - maybe one on each side of harness - or????

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 am

Speaking of line cutting knives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... V4CpIu2Vb0

Even if you never used your hook knife to save yourself, think about how nice it woud be to help a fellow kiter out of a jam...and be a hero.

Thanks go out to NWKite forum for this video...not a kiter in the video but you get the idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”