forum for kitesurfers

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Slingshot Rally Kite Faults

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 am

eree wrote:CaptainArgh and toyletbowl...
and your user names are the reflections of your professional lives, i suppose?

i wonder what you gain from suppressing this matter?
Yeah...you're not getting it. Isn't that eerie? If I posted a glowing review of my favorite pirate film or perhaps a review of a new Captain Morgan product, then yeah, it'd be clear I had an agenda.

To recap, this is what I said, which has nothing to with being anonymous on forums.
CaptainArgh wrote:...But, you can't sit there and defend that the only intent of your post is to spread the good word when your newly created login name is "Rallys are Rubbish." What kind of response did you expect?...
Anyway, no need for this to deteriote into a flame war, that'll just get the post moved. My point is that there is always a back story to a 1st time user post that starts out like this one, and we're not hearing it...

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:22 am

eree wrote:CaptainArgh and toyletbowl...
and your user names are the reflections of your professional lives, i suppose?

i wonder what you gain from suppressing this matter?
haha....good one, but look at the spelling of my username. It's a play on the obvious and no-one knows the real meaning.

no worries...if his info is accurate, good for all of us. If not, then there's an underlining intent.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

A-L
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby A-L » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:37 am

Ladies+Gentlemen,

This is going to be my last post as it seems the topic is steering away from what i actually posted about and into a tirade between people about user names etc, point taken, the user name i choose want the wisest to gain credibility, but i can assure you what i have written about is the truth.

It isnt on all my kites just one of them as luckily they havnt been used so much yet so i can re-enforce the wingtips with dacron tape to stop this happening. My 12m is my most used kite, but still this shouldnt be happening, im sure Slingshot have now listened and we will see a more robust wingtip in future, i hope so as the actual performance from the kite i really like as stated previously.

Slingshot have been very good with previous problems and have always sent me new parts where ever i am in the world, which is why i still use them, i havnt had that service from other brands so Graham you are kind of correct by stating they deal with issues when presented to them, however on this lets say one occasion it wasnt happening and yes i was frustrated hence the user name.

Anyway the pictures show the truth, if you want to believe or not your choice.

Laters!!!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 am

Rallys are Rubbish wrote:"mcampa20"
For your info im a IKO Instructor so know what im talking about.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages :lol:

If the problem is genuine thanks for pointing it out although it could have been done in a slightly better way ...

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 pm

rubbish,

don't take it personally. all we are doing is gathering info to make sure that no-one is over-reacting, etc.

toby...why the hell is this in flamers? no flaming i can see, just posters trying to get to the bottom of this.

took me 15 minutes to find this thread again. sending it to customer, friends who might be interested just in case the wear issue is true, but hiding it in flamers? strange.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:46 pm

A friend of mine flies the rallys, loves them but has exactly the same problem with the LE wear. Call it whatever you want but the pictures speak for themselves. The wear is clearly from the attachment points and is clearly a design error. I think a new kite will be a bit too much to ask for but a apology along with kevlar patches should be the least that SS can do.

Sad to see that people with affiliations to Slingshot act this way on kiteforum. For the customers as well as for the brand it is only good that this is in the open and should be dealt with asap. Its not bad to admit a mistake, it is bad if you don't act on it, denying it is pure lame.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm

as dealer who is affiliated, I'm looking for concrete evidence. do you also have pics? that would help so we don't just take it at your word.

excuse us who have been on here for years and who are skeptical, but this forum and others are filled with bogus threads that flame companies.

that being said, i've already contacted friends and customers (referencing this exact thread) to keep an eye out on this potential wear problem, so there's no denying anything.

just trying to find out the truth.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

ulx
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller area
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am

i checked my 6m, too. no wear there. i noticed that the pigtail-loop is attached the other way round than in the picture. is it possible that some kites where set-up like the one shown in the picture and some of these got the problem and all the others have the piptail-loop the other way round and in that way everything is fine?

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99

Postby Fatfish98 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:25 am

This has totally the wrong pigtail on it! This is one of those pigtails with the little black webbing tag on it to make it easier for you to release the pigtail.
It's been tied in such a way that the stitching of that tag on the pigtail has formed a lump/bulge and it rubbing on the leading edge.
That is not the standard pigtail....simple as that!

A-L
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby A-L » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:34 am

Fatfish98 wrote:Image

This has totally the wrong pigtail on it! This is one of those pigtails with the little black webbing tag on it to make it easier for you to release the pigtail.
It's been tied in such a way that the stitching of that tag on the pigtail has formed a lump/bulge and it rubbing on the leading edge.
That is not the standard pigtail....simple as that!

You own a Rally also? Can you post a picture of the pigtails used on your kite, interested to see if they are different, this is what came on the kite, so as far as im aware was standard. Will take a look at the way the knot is tied, thanks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”