Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advanced technic to bail out in air loft .

Forum for kitesurfers
Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Advanced technic to bail out in air loft .

Postby Billy B. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Here is a vid shot around 2008 that talks about updrafts n stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGhhfcgMhk

Funny you made a foward flight comment, most of the people you mentioned flying foward are skiiers, I also fly foward while skiing, but while snowboarding I prefer backwards flight becuase it is easier to take of n land, while being much more stable in the air. I think GeGe is one of the best foward flyers, I have kited with him and enjoy his style, I started flying foward on skiis after seeing him do so, years ago. Now I like to skim the ground foward and touch down every now n then like a speedflyer while skiing with the kite.

kite4surf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mamaia, Romainia
Favorite Beaches: Brazil Cumbuco
Style: new school, old school, race
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kite4surf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Billy B. wrote: Funny you made a foward flight comment, most of the people you mentioned flying foward are skiiers, I also fly foward while skiing, but while snowboarding I prefer backwards flight becuase it is easier to take of n land, while being much more stable in the air. I think GeGe is one of the best foward flyers, I have kited with him and enjoy his style, I started flying foward on skiis after seeing him do so, years ago. Now I like to skim the ground foward and touch down every now n then like a speedflyer while skiing with the kite.

Wayne sent me great movies with gliding backwards on skis. But BB, you are
right with the gliding forward.

Talking of GeGe, we came to what motivated me to make this movie.

GG told me "Savoir voler, ça peut etre une sécurité" knowing how to glide

can be a safety issue ( over avalanches , rocks ). -Mr Boulgakow was the

witness, see.. http://vimeo.com/8347847

Mr Boulgakow keeps out of presenting more movies with gliding (his movies,
made in a sensible way, are a good promotion for snowkite ), in order to
avoid accidents, because most of the people aren't prepared to understand
the complexity of some situations.

But the snowkite is growing fast , and the gliding is an atraction.

My reply to this ... was the movie posted at the beginning of this thread ,

because if gliding might be sometimes a security issue, the control of the

gliding and the landings are for shure very important. Reconsidering the

kiteloop as a safety problem is a must.

The ascendent current doesen't always pull you up with the same speed,

certainly not at the beginning or ending of the air loft,as you can see if

you look carefully at Eriks and Maliks movies .

In my movie I made the recommendation to avoid conditions that can create

strong ascendent currents ,( be careful, even a building can create one).

I believe (based on my experience and on the experience of others, as well

as on the movies and posts that I have seen) that someone who masters the

kiteloops, has more chances to bail out and to land safely.

More arguments for mastering kiteloops:

-the other maneuvers become easier to do

-you increase your self control

-the majority of the accidents involve kiteloops and it's better to get

used to them rather than to ignore them.

Vlad

kite4surf
Rare Poster

Postby kite4surf » Mon May 02, 2011 7:35 pm

It hasn't been long until a movie came out, which proves that you can

escape from an ascendent lift movement with kiteloop. This confirms what I

have said before.

Vlad

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon May 02, 2011 7:50 pm

no advanced technic there. this guy was completely out of control tugging on the wrong line, and he only realized when the kite was about to crash into land, that he needed to keep looping. he def did not advanced technic on purpose to control lofting. more like help i'm out of control wtf why is my kite looping.

it does go to prove when you start looping, either on purpose or by accident finish the loop! nothing says sore ribs more than getting chicken 1/2 way thru a loop.

kite4surf
Rare Poster

Postby kite4surf » Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 am

edt wrote:no advanced technic there. this guy was completely out of control tugging on the wrong line, and he only realized when the kite was about to crash into land, that he needed to keep looping. he def did not advanced technic on purpose to control lofting. more like help i'm out of control wtf why is my kite looping.

it does go to prove when you start looping, either on purpose or by accident finish the loop! nothing says sore ribs more than getting chicken 1/2 way thru a loop.

First of all, focus on what is important:

Billys' movie proves that it is possible to bail out of a real and unpredictable

ascendent lift movement
with kiteloop.

Second of all:

The kiteloop in an ascendent movement is of course an advanced technique.

Your comment is based on the fact that you believe, Billys' kiteloop was out of control.

I believe that Billy reacted instinctively,very determined and controlled too ( he didn't

hesitate doing the kiteloop, with his right hand, at second 52 , and he did also look at his

kite as he reacted )

I think that everyone who would react like him in such an unpredictable situation, should be proud with himself.

Vlad Postelnicu

But pay attention, Billy Parker masters the kiteloops !!

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIVweDfSX0 sec 08 )

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Had a fun day throwing lots of loops on a rebel 10m yesterday, At one point I threw 11 loops in the air all while switching direction every 2 loops then 3 in the same direction while landing.

I climbed the hill we were gliding off of all while gaining alltitude and having to sheet out between loops and throw them out at the edge of the window to lose lift and to keep from getting blow over the top I was 70 plus feet high during the climb.

Lots off riders saw this happen, I wish some one had shot some video of it. I threw the first loop while a hundred plus feet of the deck and keept climbing up using loops. If there was video of this it could have proven to every one the power of the loop and how you can not use it to "bail out in air loft" I will for sure get some vid of this at some point since I have been through 6 to 7 loops on avarage while climbing the hill any time it is 12m kite or better. We have had crappy snow so gliding is the one fun thing to do right now,,,,,

BB

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 am

Hey Billy, that sounds like fun. I have never seen anyone gaining altitude with loops, except an old flick of Chasta and he does maybe just one (but it sure jacks him way the fugupthere). That was the most inspiring footage I had ever seen, though I never really caught on to gliding and looping myself. I will be coming up the I-15 soon, I'll shoot if you got a camera. I want to see what you are doing, it sounds like you are raising the bar. There's one more macking swell out here due Thursday, and if I don't drown I am coming up through Utah shortly after that. Thanks, Dave

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:30 am

I was lofted once on the water. well went alot higher than expected when jumping.

I was on an 11m edge (which loves to jump high anyway). I sent it for a jump and up i went. alot higher than expected. So i park kite at the zenith let the bar out and stopped going up for a little bit and just hovered there for a second or so. then up i went again. I guess i was about my line length high 25m . hard to tell. but the sea bellow me looked very small.

Any way i leave the bar out. pull the bar in close to the water and redirect for a soft landing. I was about 1km from shore so apple room.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Billy B. wrote: I know what he is saying. After you take off there are two ways you can move the kite. One stroke in the case of the skyline hill and the wind direction in that vid is from the zenith to 11 in the case of the the hill at skyline that stroke brings the kiter down the hill and speeds them up. this is the acceleration stroke and it allows the kiter to build speed and move down the hill..

The stroke from 11 to 1 is then the braking stroke and allows the kiter to slow their speed while gaining lift and staying airborn this is the braking stroke.. the combo of the two are what allows the kiter to pick their speed, how high they are and where they land by controling their flight direction by how much they make one or the other stroke...

If you just pump the kite from side to side, you will have no control and may stall and fall.

Start little fly low then than to go higher...
He was also saying that kitelooping is an advanced technique to come down (@ 1:45 in the video), which you and your friend Wayne was strongly protesting in "advanced technique to bail out in air loft" thread,maybe you guys can learn "somethin" from this BB glide master since your profile said that ur "always open" for learnin.
Don't want to make it noisy,but this is a strong confirmation from a snow kite glide master that proper likelooping is an advanced technique to bail out/come down in air loft.Unless you guys stubbornly refuse to know this fact or probably already did that but pretend to misguide the world for whatever agenda you have behind since Wayne said that he used death spiral technique to come down also. (spiral down is actually a series kiteloops or equivalent to kiteloops in more extreme way because of the G you generated or endured ,FYI :allbegood: )
Shall we conclude this argument?

LastChance813
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Treasure Island
Favorite Beaches: Cocoa, Sand Key
Style: Kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Zero

Postby LastChance813 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm

So have these loftings occurred in very gusty conditions or have they just come out of no where? In the instances I have been lifted off the ground while walking to the water of lifted off my edge I have been very over powered and riding in extremely gusty winds. I promise you though if I were to be over land and picked up more than 10 feet with my kite depowered and sheeted all the way out like I always have it while on the beach I'd just pop the safety and flag it out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”