Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Re: Cabrinha = Uncool. Opinions?

Postby gotwind » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:50 am

Luke Palin wrote: Back on the 'uncool Cabrinha' thing- is it just that people love to hate the market leaders and companies associated with the Capitalist US meat grinder?

Luke

100%

JBo
Medium Poster

Postby JBo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:25 am

This thread is so stu.....uncool! Then what is cool?

You ride Cabs so why even bring this up. Drives me crazy when people bring nothing to the table other than stir the pot.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:56 am

I have to honestly say that I've never heard that Cabrinha kites were "uncool." "High priced", "good low end", "easy re-launch", "high priced" (heard that one more than once...), but never "uncool".

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:33 am

Cabrinha and their teamriders are pushing to sport in the direction that I feel is most 'cool'. It shows in their products.

Recent example: Keahi, pkra lanzarote

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 am

jedi1 wrote: yep these guys are really uncool :wink:
And they have boarder short and binding. :thumb:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Feng » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 am

The only problem I had with Cab was the chicken loop.
Somehow the attachement of the 5th line got lose and the chickoop open (I had my kite leach attached directly on the chicken loop.
So suddently was unhook.
I was riding, I did not understound what happend. I though that I had a brocken line so I activated the kite release. And the kite went away.
Fortunatly someone could catch the kite .

To avoid this problem I bought a 2009 chicken loop and I now attach the ring of the 5th line to the kite leach.
Attachments
cabchickenloop.jpg
cabchickenloop.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 812 times

IWB2
Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Regarding the cool side of Cabrinha.. GotWind got it 100% right.

Feng,
Sounds like you bought another chickenloop when when you really didnt have to. The 2009, 2010 , 2011 chickenloops are all quite similar as they all work the IDS system. The 2011 is by far the best designed chickenloop in my opinion. In your case where you accidently became separated from your kite, was potentially down to either not having the IDS oring properly attached or even installed within the velcro pin system, meaning the moment you became unhooked or activated QR1 you will be potentially separated completely from your kite. With any of the IDS chickenloops, you can attach your leash directly to the oring. In many ways beginners (or riders who don't plan to unhook) should take the oring out of the velcro pin system and attach their leash directly to the oring. This means if they accidently become unhooked and panic, they can just let the bar go and the IDS system will instantly activate.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:37 pm

to be cool or not so cool... that is the Q :)
me not so cool... how bout u?

don't mind me i'm just waitin for the wind to start blowin today.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Luke Palin wrote:So, what is the general opinion on this one?...

There seems to be loads of associations with Cabrinha kites that deem them 'uncool'. Are Cabrinha riders usually learners/ people that are overly concerned with 'safety systems'/ been suckered in to slick marketing?

The reason I ask is that I flown Cabs for the last 5 years and have only good things to say about them. Great build quality (something else that people always report negatively about???) and great performance.

However, I have never tried any other kites, so I guess that I have nothing to compare them with. I currently have 2010 Switchblade IDS's (8 and 12). I am considering buying 2011's. Anyone got any better suggestions for a kite that performs better than a Switchblade for unhooked/ amazing relaunch and self landing and launching/ great low end? Admittedly the turning speed on these things is not great, but I guess there is always a trade off.

Back on the 'uncool Cabrinha' thing- is it just that people love to hate the market leaders and companies associated with the Capitalist US meat grinder?

actually cabrinha takes care of it ("uncool" image) for itself!

being one of the leaders of the industry it has no plans to make prices more friendly. and this obsession to make bar system too complicated...
i don't want to even start with the bridle pulleys issue, which imo shows how incomplete bridle design is. ozone achieve same smooth, clear and stable canopy without the pulleys and has perfectly safe and operating simple bar system, so who's "cooler"?

i guess neilpryde ltd shareholders just can not consider themselves as the passion driven entrepreneurs, instead they are just common profit oriented stagnant investors.
of course, during last couple of years they somehow managed to improve graphic design. and they hire andre to do wake style.

but when you see those middle aged cab owners driving to the beach in luxury sedans somehow it not looks so cool...

Feng
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Feng » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 pm

eree wrote:but when you see those middle aged cab owners driving to the beach in luxury sedans somehow it not looks so cool...
And what about the middle aged cab owner with a BMW? Cool or not cool? :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”