Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Life?

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Kite Life?

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Just out of curiosity how long do you typically keep a kite? My go to kite for 75% of the time is a 12m. I know a lot of people who buy new kites every year, and that theory makes some sense, as you can still get decent money on the second hand market for it. It just seems like a pretty short life for something that retails between $1200 - $1700.

I ask, because I'm fighting not to upgrade until 2012, but problems are starting to arise on my kite, I've replaced a bladder, only to find a new leak 3 months later. The lines, particularly the depower line are starting to show some real wear.

I ride every chance I get, which I'd guess to be somewhere in the 100 sessions per year, so that's 75 sessions on this kite. So anyways, what's your approach on how long to keep a kite?

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite Life?

Postby aeberl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Do the math:
USD 1500 for new kite
USD 400 resale value
Total cash out = USD 1100
@ 75 session = USD 14.66 / session!

Even if you change your gear every year, you get much more out of your investment then the average kiter.
Don´t forget its your life you are hooking into your chickenloop.... don´t be too cheap to protect it accordingly, don´t kite with deteriorated gear, speccially if conditions are not ideal.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Not to pick nits to start an argument, but you asked about kite life then talked about bladder, lines and depower line wearing out - all of which are replaceable and could be considered 'consumables' ... fix them and you're good to go!

Of course, your old kite may simply be outdated and gutless in comparison to the new ones ;)

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, well the canopy itself is showing some age as well. Basically, I'm just wondering if most people switch their main kites out annually.

aeberl - I agree, it's a small price to pay, especially considering when something breaks it could end in a trip to the ER.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:47 pm

adamj2281 wrote:Yeah, well the canopy itself is showing some age as well. Basically, I'm just wondering if most people switch their main kites out annually.

aeberl - I agree, it's a small price to pay, especially considering when something breaks it could end in a trip to the ER.
who can afford to buy new kites every year? Your kite sounds like it is in pretty good shape even if it's no longer crispy

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm

adamj2281 wrote:...I ask, because I'm fighting not to upgrade until 2012, but problems are starting to arise on my kite, I've replaced a bladder, only to find a new leak 3 months later. The lines, particularly the depower line are starting to show some real wear.

I ride every chance I get, which I'd guess to be somewhere in the 100 sessions per year, so that's 75 sessions on this kite. So anyways, what's your approach on how long to keep a kite?

well, set of bladder patches costs 2-3$ and 3 months is acceptable interval, depower line costs me in my local marina boat shop 3$ a meter. and if you don't let kite lines to fry on the sunny beach they last two seasons easily.
time spent on checking and making small repairs on your kite - priceless and very educational!
and that what windless days are for!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 pm

My motivation is not so much about ´how old is the gear´ but how much i still like it and how much fun I´m having w/ it; while i like it and if it flies I will keep it.

If the love is lost then I will get a new one.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm

i replace my kites every 2-3 years , usually when the new kites have a huge improvements ( i mean very noticeable..not like every year so-called improvement)
usually sold at 30/40% of the original prices.

i kite less than u , but on snow and water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”