Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Virgin official partner of the Kitesurf World Championships

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:04 pm

VKWC News:

Virgin becomes official partner of the Kitesurf World Championships

1 vkwc.jpg
The Professional Kiteboard Riders Association (PKRA) announced today that Virgin is to become the official series partner of its Kitesurf World Championships. The long term deal with Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group will see the tour change its name to the Virgin Kitesurf World Championships (VKWC).

Over the past few years, the PKRA has become the only recognized World Tour in professional kitesurfing. The sport is one of the world’s fastest growing outdoor activities and offers huge opportunities for development and improvement. Virgin will be heavily involved in developing the Virgin Kitesurf World Championships, with new public events at great kitesurfing locations and improved media exposure planned.

In 2014 the tour was taken over by Javier Perez Dolset - a serial entrepreneur and founder of ZED, the biggest mobile big data company in the world. Like Richard Branson, Javier is a dedicated kitesurfer and wants to drive the sport’s worldwide growth. Javier believes the World Championships offer enormous untapped potential and with Sir Richard the pair have ambitions to dramatically change the way the World Championships and kitesurfing is recognized.

Virgin is a leading international investment group and one of the world's most recognised and respected brands. Conceived in 1970 by Sir Richard Branson, Virgin Group has gone on to grow successful businesses in sectors ranging from mobile telephony, travel, financial services, leisure, music, holidays and health & wellness. Virgin’s involvement in the Kitesurf World Championships will see it further its involvement in the sports sector.

Sir Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Group said:

“I have been a passionate kitesurfer for many years. It’s a sport I really love and I find the challenge of the wind and waves gives me a great opportunity to test myself against the elements.
I am looking forward to developing this wonderful sport together with Javier and creating an even brighter future. We want to make the Virgin Kitesurf World Championships well known across the world, and build a vibrant platform for the sport so its partners, athletes and venues can flourish.”

Javier Perez Dolset, Founder of ZED said:

“We are delighted to partner with the Virgin Group in what will be another vital step in making the Tour a bigger global operation and look forward to working with Virgin and Sir Richard on a new chapter of Kitesurfing history. Virgin is not only a hugely influential brand to have on board, but their worldwide expertise and contacts are second to none. We look forward to establish a World Tour with well-known athletes, brands and tour stops in the near future.”

The 2015 Virgin Kitesurf World Championships season starts on 23rd of March with its first event in Dakhla, Morocco. At this first event, the tour will introduce new rules, disciplines and other developments to drive growth. Further information about the Virgin Kitesurf World Championships is available on: www.vkwc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”