All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: fuel/torch/vegas/hadlow pro/C4/RPM?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 am 
Rare Poster

Hi,
I was just wondering how these kites stack up against one another, with regards to unhooked freestyle and powered kiteloops, for anyone who has compared any of them.
Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: fuel/torch/vegas/hadlow pro/C4/RPM?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 am 
Rare Poster

Hey,

I tried all of these 2011 models.

For 2011 Hadlow PRO and Torch are definitely the worst kites- a lot of back stalling, hadlow even comes with pulleys which make it fly like a horrible slow kite, really not worth looking at these kites.

I'd say 1.C4 2. Vegas 3. Fuel 4. RPM. Thats my ranking for these kites.

I know C4 has probably the worst looking graphics, but its actually an amazing kite. Its bar is so simple, its a 4 line and its a C kite. Unhooked is amazing with it, Kiteloops have this upwards lift and it has a lot of slack for handlepasses. All in All the best kite for unhooked, freeride styles.

Vegas is similar to C4 but its a 5 line kite and I hate 5 lines (I like simplicity when it comes to kites). Otherwise it is a little bit less powerful than C4,which makes it more forgiving and probably a better kite to learn new tricks with, but I had more fun with C4. Anyways either of these kites are great.

Fuel is good for kiteloops and nice kite, but it doesnt have a large depower hence you will be buying a lot of them if you wanna ride in different conditions. Its a little bit like torch- very aggressive, powerful, but bad at gusty winds; not good for learning.

RPM is not a C-kite which makes it a bad kite for unhooked tricks. On the other hand it doesnt back stall at all (other people claim it has a C kite feeling, I laugh at these people they are the biggest idiots and know nothing about the kites); there is no slack when unhooked and kite has aggressive constant pull throughout the jump. My brother owns two of these 2011 models, he likes them, but he doesnt do any unhooked; I tried them and in my opinion its a good kite for freeride but not for wakestyle.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

Dude! The C4 has the best looking graphics out of all of those kites! My friend just got a 12m in baby blue, its the best looking kite on the beach...closely followed by my other friends green catalyst. I'm loving the the look of 2011 Ozone kites...what have you been smoking? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:17 pm 
Medium Poster

blind wrote:
RPM is not a C-kite which makes it a bad kite for unhooked tricks. On the other hand it doesnt back stall at all (other people claim it has a C kite feeling, I laugh at these people they are the biggest idiots and know nothing about the kites); there is no slack when unhooked and kite has aggressive constant pull throughout the jump. My brother owns two of these 2011 models, he likes them, but he doesnt do any unhooked; I tried them and in my opinion its a good kite for freeride but not for wakestyle.

Impressive that you've been able to ride all of the C-kites, and I think that your input is quite valuable to the TS. One thing about the RPM, while it's not a C-kite, it's more than capable of doing unhooked. Seems Youri Zoon and Andy Yates aren't having the problems that you describe.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hmm. I have the 2011 Hadlows and like them a lot. IMO backstalling is a trim issue, and I donøt have that problem. Haven't tried the new Torches but I doubt a well proven kite like that will have that problem either ........

Had a 2009 Vegas. Did not like it, but I guess the never ones are better. Still no grunt in kiteloops though from what I hear. Can't believe a Vegas has less grunt than a C4 as the C4s I have tried have to little grunt for my taste and weight. C4 is a nice kite when powered well however.

I believe the Airush Razor is also worth mentioning, at least from what I've read.

RPM. Tried that last year. No comparison to C kites. Didn't like

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:12 pm 
Frequent Poster

how does 2011 HiFI fit in this ranking ?

anyone tried it ?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

idobyms wrote:
how does 2011 HiFI fit in this ranking ?

anyone tried it ?

Thanks!

From what I hear The 2009 comp was good.

Last edited by Dr_Rosen on Sat May 14, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

it is a C kite...so far as i know...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:53 am 
Frequent Poster

I have flown hadlows, RPM and 2010 Fuel

How you feel about a kite is a personal preference. You could fly kite A on one day in perfect conditions and tell everyone how its the best kite in the world. Try the same kite in more average conditions for the first time and you would probably curse it.

My preference is for kites with a good top end, low bar pressure and average turning speed.

If I lived in dream world where I could kite in waist deep flat water with consistent winds I would get Hadlows.

Real life I would get as 12m RPM, 9&7m fuels

2011 Hadlow

Unhooked - Awesome slack. Not questions this beats anything I have ever flown. Downside is I found when I am powered there was very heavy bar pressure which I disliked as at the top end I find its easier to lose edge/get too overpowered as you unhook. just a personal pref. Also found the kite a bit twitchy and a bit to quick which is not a good thing when unhooked. the kite moved around during tricks a fair bit for myself and a few others whos kites are usually dead still. this was on an 11m as well...

Relaunch - a pig when flown on 6 line mode. I hated it and was scared to drop the kite unless I was standing up, even then when directly downwind of me the kite pulled like a truck. Sometimes it would relaunch in 5 seconds, othertimes it would get a wingtip stuck and just stay there and I would end up having to swim in. on 5th line its 100% better.

Stability - on 6 lines it sucked, if you had a kite a bit too high and overshot it even a tiny bit it fell out of the sky. If it was gusty it fell out the sky. if you were chatting to a buddy on the beach it would fall out of the sky, if you are left handed it would fall out the sky. on 5th line this never happened to me

Range - pretty good I found, I was on an 11m getting towards top end and other guys were comfortable on 8 & 9m kites. I weigh about 75kg.

2009 RPM

Unhooked - Good, no where near fuel or hadlow. if you dont pop right it pulls like a truck the whole time your in the air. Same problem in terms of bar pressure for me as with Hadlow. to much pressure at top end makes it difficult to unhook. 8m is to fast, 10m+ is good

Relaunch - like a dream. cant recall a time where it has ever NOT re launched.

Stability - perfect

Range - decent.

2010 Fuel

Unhooked - awesome, love how this kite unhooks. it has almost no bar pressure to pull the bar in, however takes a fair amount of pressure to steer the kite. so its still quick but on a small bar its rock solid in the air after you unhook. even on a 7m I am comfortable in 30kts. good slack but still cant touch the hadlow

Relaunch - a challange when its light...would prefer 5th line really.

Stability - bit of canopy flutter but its rock solid

Range - not the best, but also not that bad. Have had it out in pretty stormy weather.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:50 am 
Frequent Poster

prep wrote:
a pig when flown on 6 line mode..

6 line.... :-?

Thought there were only 3 rigging options with this kite..

1) standard 4line..
2) 4line with mini bridle.
3) 5line..

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next