Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If you have to trim your kite your over powered!

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: If you have to trim your kite your over powered!

Postby plummet » Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Touche' Ned.....

tho "silly and dangerous" is not nearly as abusive as "the original poster should hang himself"

but i see your point.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ned Divine » Fri May 20, 2011 9:00 pm

plummet wrote:Touche' Ned.....

tho "silly and dangerous" is not nearly as abusive as "the original poster should hang himself"

but i see your point.
You are absolutely right, not nearly as bad and - as I said - easily explained and excused by the amount of abuse one has to live with before coming to the point of needing to produce some... It is a problem with forums but - as my wife says (and she is always right) - people who behave this way are continuously self-punished because they live a life of anger and stress (remember, their whole life is plagued by this negativity which affects them more than anyone else). No worse punishment than that, so ... never mind Plummet (let them swear and shout while) we are enjoying our delightful argument, learning stuff from each other and having a nice time until the wind picks up again! Just ignore them mate! :thumb: :thumb:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat May 21, 2011 2:21 am

boy aren't you a crotchety bastard!

You can tweak a kites performance, behavior and even character by adjusting the bridle within a designed and tested range. Lots of kites have multiple bridle and flying line attachments that change how they depower, where they sit, how they respond to bar input and how much bar pressure and feedback they give. I'm sure there are a few guys out there that have the same kite set up totally differently and they all love it for different reasons.

A tiny bit of trim travel is very much a part of how kites are designed. Some have improved over the trim range a ton in recent years.

I can be a purist about a few aspects of this sport, but avoiding trim aint ever gonna be one of em. To push that point is simply to limit yourself needlessly.

Three years ago you needed three kites. Most of the time your on the big slow one, you dream of the middle one and you rarely use the tiny scary one.

Now with the help of a board with a little foam you can spend almost all your time on a fast fun little power house that whips around and has just the right amount of cloth you feel comfy unhooking with when it gets good. Then you have the goto kite for windy weather that has the same low end as your old 9 and more quality top end than your old 6 and you actually like it cause you get to pull it out more than 5 times a season.

When should I start feeling the anger and stress?

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sat May 21, 2011 5:25 am

Starsky wrote:boy aren't you a crotchety bastard!

When should I start feeling the anger and stress?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Sat May 21, 2011 5:46 am

Tone wrote: I ride 2 kites currently.

a 15m foil which goes from 10-30 and a 9m fuel which goes from 18-40 (at a guess)

I have a 13 Fuel but haven't flown it yet, but I imagine it will sit quite well in between.

If I need to depower, then I need to change kite because the next gust could be the one that owns me.

out.

i can't believe you ever called me out on anything,

for all of you that don't know Tone is the expert of everything without experiencing anything.

I ride a 14, 10, 8,6, and 4.5 and I do agree with one thing he says, I don't use the trim straps much but I do ride the right kite for the conditions and the right kite isn't a 15m foil (wtf, you go on the Scoop and fly that shit) and a 9m C there is a bit more to kiting then the range you get with that quiver

check yourself expert

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat May 21, 2011 6:03 am

Starsky wrote:You can tweak a kites performance, behavior and even character by adjusting the bridle within a designed and tested range. Lots of kites have multiple bridle and flying line attachments that change how they depower, where they sit, how they respond to bar input and how much bar pressure and feedback they give. I'm sure there are a few guys out there that have the same kite set up totally differently and they all love it for different reasons.

A tiny bit of trim travel is very much a part of how kites are designed. Some have improved over the trim range a ton in recent years.

I can be a purist about a few aspects of this sport, but avoiding trim aint ever gonna be one of em. To push that point is simply to limit yourself needlessly.

Three years ago you needed three kites. Most of the time your on the big slow one, you dream of the middle one and you rarely use the tiny scary one.

Now with the help of a board with a little foam you can spend almost all your time on a fast fun little power house that whips around and has just the right amount of cloth you feel comfy unhooking with when it gets good. Then you have the goto kite for windy weather that has the same low end as your old 9 and more quality top end than your old 6 and you actually like it cause you get to pull it out more than 5 times a season.
I agree that kites have improved a ton, all kinds of different shapes and configurations. The bridles have done lots to add range and versatility. I agree there are a bunch of different bridle set ups and some kites change a lot when you use different attachment points and adjustments. Gives us lots of options. Given that awesomeness, I'm getting it done with two kites but I could still use a 7M for when it's over 35. The new board options have given me a lot of added range as well. The much longer bar throw has made kites safe and easy. But I still like to ride them in their range and not detuned all to hell.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 am

7m in 35 plus? I hope your boosting huge. A 7m in 35 is very powered up and hard to aggressively fly. I have not read all 11 pages of this thread but there is a general misconception in kiteboarding that a 7 or 9 will cover the top end of most riding conditions. Sure you can survive at the top end of a kite and maybe even boost huge but all you can do is hold on at the edge of the window or sheet out so much the kite is damn near non responsive. Ride the right kite size, go off wind a bit to get speed , and when it comes to transitioning or jumping.....use your imagination because the right kite can do almost anything.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 am

Crash,
I can ride my 9M in 35mph all day long at the coast where the wind is steady as hell.
But I'm maxed at that. I don't pull my sheeting strap more than half, usually less or not at all. But I've been to the coast twice in the last month or so and been skunked on Sundays when the wind blew 40. Time to look for a 7M, 6M or 5M. Not sure which.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 21, 2011 9:04 am

7m pretty too powered in 35?

it depends on the kite I guess. My 8m loves lots of wind at 30 its in the sweet zone 35 i'm powered but buy no means out of control!......................... but my buddies have been fullu trimmed on 7's,,,,,,....

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Sat May 21, 2011 2:45 pm

7m pretty too powered in 35?

It depends on what you want to do with the kite.

I was out recently in the OBX and one day we had winds that were about 35-45 with some gusts higher. I am 195lbs(88 kilos) and I was riding a 4.5. It was the most dynamic kite flying I had experienced to that point. I could do anything with the kite that came to mind. The other riders in that session were on 7's and boosting to the moon but when they were not jumping they were tip toeing around the wind. that is my point, being overpowered works but is it desired?The jumps looked fun but that was all they could do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”