Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Choptop 2011 5'8 or 5'3 - looking feedback, pls.

forum for kitesurfers

omg
Frequent Poster

Airush Choptop 2011 5'8 or 5'3 - looking feedback, pls.

Postby omg » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am

hi,

it's either Celeritas or Choptop for me (190cm & 80kg) for onshore waves with winds 15-30knots. And it's all about strapless waveriding for me (and for strapless airs).

I have read a lot of feedback on Celeritas, but what about the Choptop, especially the 5'8 as I am a bit hesitant about the 5'3 being too small?

BUT, 5'8 is 20" wide so is it too wide for the conditions I will be riding? Is the 5'8 still nimble enough with all that width or should I be better off on a narrower board?

Other thoughts appreciated! :jump:

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Re: Airush Choptop 2011 5'8 or 5'3 - looking feedback, pls.

Postby gotwind » Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 am

If i were you i would look into the 5'6 Airush Comnpact. I prefer that board for strapless over the choptop.

omg
Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 am

ok, you got my attention. I searched internet about Compact and it seems a very interesting board.

BUT, does it start planing early and will I get the "surf" feeling with it, I mean does it glide easily on the wave? I have a Naish 5'5" * 20" strapless board but although it's really wide, it's really hard to catch and surf the wave as the wave easily passes it no matter how far forward my weight is on the board. This I don't want to happen.

And could you tell me why you prefer Compact over Choptop? I thought that Choptop's wide tail would give lots of pop and grab rails would help to take the board with you when needed?

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Fri May 20, 2011 9:43 am

omg wrote:ok, you got my attention. I searched internet about Compact and it seems a very interesting board.

BUT, does it start planing early and will I get the "surf" feeling with it, I mean does it glide easily on the wave? I have a Naish 5'5" * 20" strapless board but although it's really wide, it's really hard to catch and surf the wave as the wave easily passes it no matter how far forward my weight is on the board. This I don't want to happen.

And could you tell me why you prefer Compact over Choptop? I thought that Choptop's wide tail would give lots of pop and grab rails would help to take the board with you when needed?

Thank you for your comments in advance.
Hey OMG,

Wind: 15-30knots
Waves: Onshore
Weight: 80 kg
Strapless riding w/ jumping

The choptop is a bit more of a freestyle/wave so if you are playing in direct onshore and your swell is mostly wind driven, then the Choptop will be the best to play around with. The 5'8 sounds big but under foot (especially at 80kg) you have enough weight and size to throw it around. (I would take a look at the Active construction which is 20% lighter)The reduced rocker definitely helps you to get up wind and OUT and away in onshore conditions that you say you will be riding in. The Grab rails and flat deck are also really geared towards the strapless air type of riding.

The Compact 5'6 is my favorite board :) I have been using it a bit in cross/on shore conditions. Its pretty fun to throw around on the wave and in the air. What you might lose compared to the Choptop is the upwind ability and the ultra stability. :) What you will gain is more response with less input and overall more snappier feeling. The compact was designed for highwind strapped riding but seems everyone is loving it for strapless as well!

Choptop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mSHkZ1o-o
Compact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xk_UFNOe_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKEcCq1WDgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjNR64Gi4vA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nCRHcXjSgI

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Postby mdmaui » Fri May 20, 2011 9:49 am

Gather what you can for low$ and start building custom surfboards. If you are a serious kiter, you will always be on a search....unless you start doing what is best. Support your local builder, or clear out the garage and copy some shapes. You will need a dumpster for all that shit big business is making.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: UK - all north east beaches
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: everything Airush and shinn, and anything else I can get to try - I have to test it all, else I'd be a charlatan :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri May 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm a choptop fan over compact - 5'3 was a fun balanced board and held power too, 80kg, 6'
tried the compact and it was a little more nervous under power, but then I do like to ride with more power than most..

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: UK - all north east beaches
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: everything Airush and shinn, and anything else I can get to try - I have to test it all, else I'd be a charlatan :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri May 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm a choptop fan over compact - 5'3 was a fun balanced board and held power too, 80kg, 6'
tried the compact and it was a little more nervous under power, but then I do like to ride with more power than most..

Return to “Kitesurfing”