Forum for kitesurfers
abo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark, Dragør
Gear: North Rebel 2010
Brand Affiliation: Vaavud
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help me design a Kitesurfing Wind-gage.

Postby abo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 am

@ ivarelas

Very interesting as it seems that you have gone through much of the same process as I have. I really like the idea of crowd sourcing the weather reports - It could become a valuable source of information, when deciding where to go or not to go... I would like there to be a incentive / reward for sharing the data - except the joy of helping others :).

However i still think some kites would want quantification of the actual windspeed - just to be able to compare sessions in a more scientific way - logging data is hip :)

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will make sure that the app will get posted on some of the danish forums, when it will be available. - And I will be personally excited when you complete a android version :) Lastly I hope you don't mind if i look into using the audio jack microphone although it adds a bit of hazel it's still very simple. And could be nice to use :)

/Andreas

ivarelas
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ivarelas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 am

@abo

We are on the same page! There WILL be a reward strategy that will involve surf/kite club owners,
stores and in general all businesses related to our sports.
In weendy, each time you make a report, you earn points. You can then redeem points in
offers that the above businesses add on weendy.

For example, a kite shop puts an offer where you can buy a 12m kite for 600 euro and 95 points, instead of 700 euros, which is the regular price! Or even smaller offers like 50 points for a t-shirt etc.
In this way, all of us will get benefited from using weendy and the shop owners from engaging customers! Power to the people :)

Well, in order for this model to work, first we need to grow our network, so the more we are, the better offers we will get.

Your are absolutely right regarding the accuracy of the data. As you say, collecting accurate data is a big big deal and a growing business, so keep on working on your project.
I will be more than happy to help you in any way with your project (from reading to making an iphone version).

If you decide to use the audio jack, then you will have to make only one device (possibly) for all phones, so use it!

If you want to get updates regarding weendy, follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/WeendyCo

yiannis

abo
Rare Poster

Postby abo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Just a last call out loud!

You can still help me design a wind-meter and get a better grade for my bachelor project :D

Please visit http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PRD37SP and fill out the form.

I close the poll Friday the 17. of June at 23:59 GMT.

Thank for all who has helped so far

/Andreas

abo
Rare Poster

Postby abo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:04 pm

The device we have been developing is now on kickstarted. I have created a new threat for discussion :) . viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379682.

Return to “Kitesurfing”