All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Revolutionary Quick Release?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:47 pm 
Rare Poster

Why would you put a twist release in a flexible situation? Get a little sand in it and the chicken loop will twist instead of the release.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

from what I remember the guys from Core told me is, that they had experts coming up with this design. So e.g. you are dragged on the beach, the twist will work and the push up not.

But I know they are testing it since fall last year very secretly...and the owner of Core wouldn't do anything not thought 100 times about it with given facts, tests, expertise..."German", you know ;-)

I will try to get the full info from them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm 
Medium Poster

looks great but with all moving parts even be it twisting, how will it perform with sand in it? or during the winter while fumbling with gloves and numb hands? I would prefer a push away system, Ozone like to be precise!
None of the guys in the vid will be able to use it due to the fact that they are riding unhooked!
Good winds, Kiss (Keep it simple stupid)

WjM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

not natural, should be a standard in the indutry.
central push system...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

kitingkristy wrote:
very good topic Toby, good job :thumb:

i think the Ozone quick release should also be considered for its super efficiency and works in any terrain even it is minus 12 outside or if it sandy....http://www.flyozone.com/kitesurf/en/pro ... loop/info/

Don't take it as an attack but the Ozone QR is not that good. Pull in is not that nice if you catch the CL, the pull in does not work all the time the other day the wind got too strong for me to hold my Catalyst 8m and I released, not that it was an emergency, I could have just hook off but elected to QR to try it and it was darn long before it came apart. If the pull is not strong enough you stay hooked in. I love my Ozones thus far but they really need to upgrade the bar the way North did it. Their system should be standard, replace the metal with strong plastic like the megatron if you want but one really needs to try their Ozone QR before thinking it is world standard potential. Once released though, no problem with the kite in excess of 40 knots. For the supplementals, there was no sign of this except for the local forecasts, but no clouds, no difference on the water surface (been 30 knots for hours before so nice strong chop to play with), we knew it would go real strong but we did not know wehn so we rigged the smallest we had. Again it was not an emergency, I just did not want to get too close to shore with the kite flying in those gusty conditions. Twisting? really?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm 
Medium Poster

As others have said: KISS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 pm 
Medium Poster

Forget the QR on the bar, use a Surefire spreader bar from Slingshot. The only problem is the brains behind SS are not making these bars anymore (to my knowledge). The nice thing about the Surefire is that if you pull the release, you have the ability to reset your release where most other QR on kite bars you are hosed after releasing. I still use old bars that don't even have QR's on them at times because of this setup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:41 pm 
Medium Poster

i can imagine if you unhook and then need too hook in by grabbing the chicken loop and twisting it to line up with your spreader bar the loop would release leaving you in an annoying situation where you have to stop and sort it out before you could continue riding

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

I am not sure that a twist release is a good idea. But I await practical use before making a final judgement...

I still think a push to release is a bad idea. You have no strength in the push direction and if you are being dragged you cannot release. Personally, I still prefer a pull release, but the pull should be arranged perpendicular to the line direction. In this way, the pull will always generate tension in the release mechanism, not matter what is happening with the kite.

I also think that there should be two releases, one on each side of the chickenloop, that way, no matter which way you hook into the loop, you will always have a release on the left and one on the right.

I think the push release has become standard, not due to safety, but due to good marketing by some prominent brands.

/Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

Rossall wrote:
at least CORE are being proactive about safety and pushing design.

Would changing postions of the gas and brake pedals on a car be considered as being "proactive about safety", even if you could demonstrate that having the brake pedal on the right would theoretically be a slightly better approach?

The "push-away" quick release system is intuitive and has been trained into the reflexes of almost all kiteboarders. If Core wants to make a case for moving away from that design and re-training all kiteboarders, they need to present some very very good arguments.

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next