Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Re: Wave specific Twintips?

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 am

Underground is coming up with a Twin Tip dedicated for waves. Should be launched around September, I think an evolution of the old Wave tray.
Bye Jankie

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby xray » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:30 am

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design

Postby decay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:52 am

plummet wrote:search Decay Katana. Sorry i'm too lazy to search it myself. I have one and its sweet on the waves and chop. Very nice indeed. Holds alot of power too.
Thanks for the plug Plummet - yep our Katana is a SWEET ride in waves and chop and is great for boosting style freestyle too. Our website is being updated this month but if you send me and email to dave@decaykiteboards.co.nz I'll give you all the details.

Cheers

DK

spoetnik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Ter Heijde
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby spoetnik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Have you seen the FlyWave?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby rightguard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:20 am

Has anyone used the flywave? Is it a cruzer that is ok in waves, or can you actually throw it around and get some good pop out of it?

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Chesapeake, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Kaito, I've had the same question about wave specific twin tips for a long time, we get big choppy waves on the Great Lakes here but I really enjoy doing some freestyle/wakestyle as well. I rode the Mako 140 for the last couple of years but like you said, it is a compromise for sure. It doesn't ride the waves like a directional board and due to the rounded tips and it is harder to use for freestyle or wakestyle (although you can do pretty much anything with it, it's just not as easy as with a proper wakestyle twin tip). I haven't ridden the Flywave, and it looks like a fun board, but it also looks like another compromise board. With that outline it isn't going to be ideal for wakestyle tricks, and you don't have any cushion in those footpads for landings.

What is working for me is having a good twin tip for freestyle/wakestyle that works in the chop (using the 2011 Cab Caliber 136 - great board), and also having a wave board. I'm using my Mako King strapless for light wind and riding waves. I was just down in Hatteras and demo'd a skim board and realized how easy strapless riding is, I was staying upwind right away and got lots of gybes in my very first session on the sound. I decided to get rid of the straps on my Mako King and put on some DaKine surf board pads and gave that a go in the ocean. It was the most fun I've had on a board in a long time - easy to ride, got lots of waves to the point where I could actually depower the kite and use the power in the wave, and yet it was stable enought that I hit about half my gybes. What I'm saying is that maybe it's worth having a couple of boards at the beach and compromising less. If you have to travel with one board, that's tough - my vote would be the new Mako 150 because it fits in an NSI Deceiver bag and you can do a bit of everything - but it is a compromise. My two cents.

Ramón
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Neusiedla Sä
Favorite Beaches: podersdorf NordNord ;)

Postby Ramón » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 pm

ktflyer... tell me more about the difference between the king and 140. I have the Mako 140 and like the feel but also feel like it's a little too in between. I've been thinking about getting a King but didn't know what the differences would be like.

Another question... The Venom just has little tips bolted on it... why can't you just bolt tips on your favorite twin tip and make it a wave board?

Dude1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Kijkduin Netherlands
Style: Big Air
Gear: Flysurfer 19 DL
Slingshot Rev 13 & 9
Cabrinha Cross bow 11
Shinn Twin

Postby Dude1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm

@ rightguard
The flywave has some decent pop, it is though not a freestyle TT. For our our North Sea, with windswell and choppy waves, the board works extremely well.
High jumps, pop, surfing the waves, it works great. If you are looking for a true surfboard, this is not the one, but if you like power in your kite this may be a great board.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm not looking for a surfboard, I just want a board to ride waves powered, jump, maybe some rolls, simple tricks... I just want something that is as easy to ride as my twin tip but has more fun in the waves. Does it really work well in riding the other direction or will it just do it OK?

Return to “Kitesurfing”