Slingshot 2012 kites

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Slingshot 2012 kites

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm

FYI - it was confirmed to me (as was reported here) that SS did make some slight tweaks to the 2012 Rally bridle and canopy making a great kite even more solid. Sweet.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 am

So, bought the 2012 10M Slingshot Rally, and laid it out on top of the 2011 version. Other than colors and graphics on things, the only obvious changes I can see are;

-scuff guard on the wing tips.
-little plastic tube on the end of the trim line.

I am assured that somewhere in this kite is a minor tweak to canopy or bridle, but I can't find it…bridle lengths and attachment locations are a dead match. Photos if you're curious;

Tip attachment point
Middle attachment point
Inside attachment point

center of LE (looks different due to lighting and placement, but they're the same.)

New tip line attachment protection fabric;

2011 vs. 2012;

I have heard from a couple people who've flown it that they do notice a difference. I'm not sure if they're drinking the kool-aid or not, but either way, take this for what it's worth, it's still a sharp kite and I can't wait to get out on the new 10M!

bri
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bri » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am

Can slingshot let me know if they plan to bring out a new rev, octane style kite. Or have they shelved that design. They don't make a 7 in the rpm and 6 is too small the 8 to big as I have the 9. I can't see me ever buying a delta rally style kite.

So any news on that front

johnlcostillo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: California
Favorite Beaches: California, Hawaiian Beaches
Style: Spin

Postby johnlcostillo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 am

hey dub thanks for the link, the kite is nice

stayfan
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle/freeryde
Gear: Thorn 2008
Torch 2008

Postby stayfan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:29 pm

bri wrote:Can slingshot let me know if they plan to bring out a new rev, octane style kite. Or have they shelved that design. They don't make a 7 in the rpm and 6 is too small the 8 to big as I have the 9. I can't see me ever buying a delta rally style kite.

So any news on that front
I can't see why a 6m should be too small. It's perfect under your 9(6+8+10 is better like you said though).
The 6 has big range, so if I had a 9 I would also buy a 6m.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:48 pm

We just got back from a long, but amazing week at Surf Expo. There was so much interest in all of products and the brand really grabbed some attention. Our booth was actually one of the most visited of the show according to the Expo data. Thought we’d share what we were up to and what it looked like. Many, many people worked extremely hard to make it happen. Thanks everyone!

Definitely check this out on your smartphone if you get the chance. The potential to use technology like this in our sports is gigantic.

360 Kite Tour -
http://tourwrist.com/tours/21602

Kite product video -
http://slingshotsports.com/category/slingshot-kite/
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (154.91 KiB) Viewed 3230 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 pm

The new gear looks sick, and those vodka redbulls are making me thirsty. Love the new products we saw in The Kiteboarder videos. That Reform surf skim looks like a ton of fun and the halfcap bindings are interesting as well. Hope to try them out.

And boards...wow, you guys have a huge lineup this year between twin tips, surf, sup, wake...definitely see you taking full advantage of the in-country manufacturing plant Slingshot has. That's great. I'm guessing this will mean a lot of new designs hitting the market sooner since we don't have to wait for the long boat ride from China? Pretty sweet.

Question- Noticed no Lunacy in the lineup this year. Is this being replaced by similar board shapes (square tips and fast, like the Darko)?

Uride2
Medium Poster

Postby Uride2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Shymac,
Saw somewhere on the web, new SS surf straps with out the big nob sticking up, do you have some pictures? Are they compatible with last year's boards?

Tyrant, is the strapless version of the Tyrant more susceptible to heal dents or damage, compared to the strapped version? Or is actual board construction identical?

Great looking toys!

cabron
Frequent Poster

Postby cabron » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 am

Shymac, is the 2012 Tyrant 6'1 similar in shape to 2011 6'1 apart from the different fin boxes? I really liked the 2011.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:Image
The new gear looks sick, and those vodka redbulls are making me thirsty. Love the new products we saw in The Kiteboarder videos. That Reform surf skim looks like a ton of fun and the halfcap bindings are interesting as well. Hope to try them out.

And boards...wow, you guys have a huge lineup this year between twin tips, surf, sup, wake...definitely see you taking full advantage of the in-country manufacturing plant Slingshot has. That's great. I'm guessing this will mean a lot of new designs hitting the market sooner since we don't have to wait for the long boat ride from China? Pretty sweet.

Question- Noticed no Lunacy in the lineup this year. Is this being replaced by similar board shapes (square tips and fast, like the Darko)?
Thanks for taking notice of what our in-house manufacturing has aloud Slingshot to do! Now with all the demand the factory does have the horsepower to create and deliver on both sides. Kite and Wake. Even a new SUP factory is in the works... That will really get the industry talking!

The Joint bindings are going to be catching on like a wild fire so once you have your pair I would be stoke to hear what you think about them!? From some riders that have had the chance to test, feedback has been awesome!

The Lunacy replacement for now is the Darko with large flat rocker and outline. Fast and tons of pop! Flex this year is awesome... medium soft but snappy! Take the fins off and its a press machine :naughty:
Uride2 wrote:Shymac,
Saw somewhere on the web, new SS surf straps with out the big nob sticking up, do you have some pictures? Are they compatible with last year's boards?

Tyrant, is the strapless version of the Tyrant more susceptible to heal dents or damage, compared to the strapped version? Or is actual board construction identical?

Great looking toys!
I do have a photo! Not the best but you will get the point. NO MORE NOBAGE ;) Takes a little longer for set up and adjustment but that far out weight the pain of the nobage...

Check the enclosed photo.
cabron wrote:Shymac, is the 2012 Tyrant 6'1 similar in shape to 2011 6'1 apart from the different fin boxes? I really liked the 2011.
Not 100% sure they are the same? I would assume they are very similar and Tony always creates something different within the shapes each year! The 5'11" is soooooooo sweet! Also a new strapless version will be available soon. I believe it will be a 6'1" for the best crossover performance for both Kite and Surf. :thumb:
Attachments
SURF_HW.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”