Naish 2012

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish 2012

Postby JGTR » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 am

Oh yeah because it's so hard to inflate a kite without a stopper :lol: on struts stoppers are good(especially the small struts) but on a one pump LE valve they just restrict airflow

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 am

I don't think it is very noticable about the stopper ball, and surely it makes it easier to pump up for people using the kites in colder climates?

In any case, just reading that review got me amped on trying the torch. I hope to demo one soon. Just get the fooken wind back here...

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 pm

-
FROM SURF EXPO, Orlando, FL 9/10/2011 -

Naish USA's Nick Stuart reviews the main features of the 2012 NAISH control bars.
First, the 'Shift system' control bar for use with the Torch Kite
is shown followed by the 'Universal' control bar.

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / Eclipse - NANO '09 11m & Thruster '08 14m
VIDEO: FLYBOARDS 2011 FLYRACE Kiteboard - IKA Approved
(a lightwind door-style board with an adjustable/removable dagger board)

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

I am looking to upgrade from my Bandit Dos 10 & 7m to 2012 kites. I weigh about 190lb/85 kilos, ride a Trax IV 134/39 board, mainly at sea., where I surf waves up to 7-8 feet. I ride in the Netherlands, at non-tropical temperatures most of the time :( . Due to the short waves that break quickly, great and quick relaunch is important.

I'm into a bit of waving, jumping and looking to introduce rolls. I ride from 15 knots / 17 mph, and am likely to call it a day when it's over 35 knots (40 mph), gusting to 40 (46 mph). I like riding powered, prefer a little over- to underpowered.

If I were to choose a 2-kite Naish Park quiver, which ones to get? 11-8, or 10-7? Or should I really really choose the Bolt?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Hoi Bu
As a general primer on selecting a kite, I always say get the perfect kite first. Ie. get the kite that you will be using more than any other. So, if the right kite is a 9, then do not get the 10 + 8 combo. Rather get the 9, and then fill up around it. Obviously this is just my opinion, but my strategy I think keeps me in the water happy most days because I generally have the "right" kite.
I'm your weight, and I also like being powered more than underpowered.

For instance here, I'd say more than any other kite I use the 10 Park. It is pretty much always in my car when I go kiting. I'd say the windspeed is usually around 20 mph. It is a little hard to say since the wind is very funky at my spot.

Now what is the average windspeed on the most days that you ride? I think you can go at 17 mph fine on the 10, but if the wind is averaging 15 knots / 17 mph most days, I'd say get the 11. Actually if the wind is 17 mph on average, go with the 12. :-)

However the way I read your post is that it starts at 17 mph...what is the average. If it is about 20 I'd say go with the 10. For lower probably the 11 (I have not tried that kite). For the 10, I've ridden in in a session where the wind was from 5 mph to 30 mph. No problem..well I am not claiming I was riding upwind in 5 mph, but the kite flies fine in really weird wind. I think they improved the gust handling this time. It is my all time favorite kite. Handles gusts easily but still turns fast for riding waves and jumps really well.

Now for the high end, I think the 8 could handle 35 knots, but you'd be lit up. The new kite handles gusts better, but if the wind is really squirly the bolt does handle unstable winds better. Either kite floats down the line fine, Bolt is not as fast turning as the Park but in the smaller sizes it is plenty fast for wave riding. It is also a little more grunty than the Park. Both kites are awesome, but I like the Park better. Personal preference I guess. :-)

So I guess what I am saying is that is the wind is very gusty then Bolt is a good option, even if the gust handling on the Park has improved a lot.
In terms of size. If the wind is solid 35 knots, I'd say the 7, but if it only reach 35 every now and then the 8 might be an option.

Would your dealer cut you a better deal if you were looking at a 11 - 9 - 7 set? It really depends on how many times a year the wind reaches those conditions.

Oh and both kites relaunch easy, and for super fast relaunch you can attach the light wind relaunch system...the kite will pop up super fast.

Ugh, sorry for the long reply. This topic is something I obsess over.

What spot are you at? Does anyone ever kite at Bergen aan Zee?

Tot ziens
A.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Tau, just the guy I was hoping would answer :) ! Long and thoughtful one, thanks!

15 knots for me is the lower limit where I'll bother to go to the beach at all (busy job & 1 hour commute to the beach). Most of the time it's more than that, and I'd say my majority is between 19 and 27 knots. It's just that I also kite on lakes, and I really want to have that bottom end for the 'lulls'. If I read you correctly, a 2012 10m would be big enough to be able to play in low winds. I ride the Bandit Dos 10m until gusts reach about 29 knots with steady winds up to 25, I should be able to do that easily with the Park 10m right? It's supposed to have a great high end right?

Once the wind gets up over here, it tends to get gusty indeed. You don't get a steady 32 knots, it's 32 with gusts that are at least 36-7 knots. 35, it WILL hit 40 in the gusts. Gust handling is important :lol: . Our wind is not a trade wind but a stormwind!

Now onto the smaller one. The timing of taking out the smaller one is quite dependent on how comfortable the big one is in its high end, but from low 20s on up, I'd like to be able to get it on. Perhaps even 20? Anyway, the Bandit Dos 7m is fast enough for me, a little quicker is okay. I take it out from about 22-3 on. I have thought about the Bolt for a smaller kite, indeed because it seems a stable not too quick one. Would it match with a Park 10m in that it's not too different? Or is it best to stay Park all the way and do I not need to worry about that?

When do you take your Park 7m out, what windspeeds?

A 7-9-11 would be nice but budgetary no-go, plus I would be guessing too much about whether I'm on the right size.

I kite mostly at Wijk aan Zee or IJmuiden, Bergen is a fair bit up north so I don't get there. You're a Euro expat then :) ? Thanks again for your insight!

I may be able to get on the kites this weekend, will let everyone know my thoughts!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:58 am

BudhaNl wrote:Tau, just the guy I was hoping would answer :) ! Long and thoughtful one, thanks!
No problem I love those kites, and this just keeps the stoke going when I'm not in the water :-)
15 knots for me is the lower limit where I'll bother to go to the beach at all (busy job & 1 hour commute to the beach). Most of the time it's more than that, and I'd say my majority is between 19 and 27 knots. It's just that I also kite on lakes, and I really want to have that bottom end for the 'lulls'. If I read you correctly, a 2012 10m would be big enough to be able to play in low winds. I ride the Bandit Dos 10m until gusts reach about 29 knots with steady winds up to 25, I should be able to do that easily with the Park 10m right? It's supposed to have a great high end right?
That makes sense. I do think 19-27 will have you riding well powered, and it can handle high gusts. Make sure the kite is pumped up firm on the high end. The new kites absorbs the gusts better, and doesn't surge as much as the old one. In 15 knots I think you can go...I've ridden my TT in lower, but lower than that is not too much fun. The kite is super stable across a wind range.

Once the wind gets up over here, it tends to get gusty indeed. You don't get a steady 32 knots, it's 32 with gusts that are at least 36-7 knots. 35, it WILL hit 40 in the gusts. Gust handling is important :lol: . Our wind is not a trade wind but a stormwind!

Now onto the smaller one. The timing of taking out the smaller one is quite dependent on how comfortable the big one is in its high end, but from low 20s on up, I'd like to be able to get it on. Perhaps even 20? Anyway, the Bandit Dos 7m is fast enough for me, a little quicker is okay. I take it out from about 22-3 on. I have thought about the Bolt for a smaller kite, indeed because it seems a stable not too quick one. Would it match with a Park 10m in that it's not too different? Or is it best to stay Park all the way and do I not need to worry about that?
I have not spent enough time on this years 7 to say exactly, BUT given an improvement in low end, I'd say they would work in the wind you are suggesting...both Park and Bolt. The Bolt is gruntier than the Park, and you do have to consider that I often use my surfboard with those kites.
I would take out my 8 park on those days, but could also have taken out the 7 bolt easily. Both kites are a joy to ride. The bolt less agressive, so looping that kite in stromy winds is a lot less scary than the park. However for wave riding, well in high winds either goes, but the boths site better and parks turns better.
I would not worry about how different they are. Both the Park and Bolt what I call the Naish feel. Light bar pressure, but enough to know exactly where the kite is. Bolt is more forgiving looping. The Park has really taken me for a ride when I misjudged where I started the loop.

When do you take your Park 7m out, what windspeeds?
I'd probably start seeing it as an alternative at about 25 mph maybe a little higher, but I am not 100% on this.
I kite mostly at Wijk aan Zee or IJmuiden, Bergen is a fair bit up north so I don't get there. You're a Euro expat then :) ? Thanks again for your insight!

I may be able to get on the kites this weekend, will let everyone know my thoughts!
Yup lived in the Plantage area in Amsterdam for 2 years, so Bergen aan Zee was not too far off...never kited there though. Beautiful area tho. Amsterdam is one of my all time favorite cities. I could easily see living there again. :thumb:

I think the kites will be a little lighter on the bar and give you a slightly different feel than the Bandits, but a buddy here takes out his 8 Park (same weight as me) with a reasonably small surfboard) in less than 20 mph...he keeps on sheeting out and letting the kite breathe a little to get more low end. It is a little counter intuitive but oh well.

If you get to try the kites, please let me know..I love hearing how others get along with the kites...people figure out different stuff and so I get to learn and squeeze more out of mine...

A.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:41 pm

GOOD GOD THOSE SURFBOARDS ARE EXPENSIVE

I mean, they're pretty and all, but now that they've hit retail they're just a bit...ummm....geee...

$1000 for the global and fish. $1100 for the gun(probably the most beautiful piece of equipment ever made) When i see 4 digits it's completely out of consideration...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:24 am

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:GOOD GOD THOSE SURFBOARDS ARE EXPENSIVE

I mean, they're pretty and all, but now that they've hit retail they're just a bit...ummm....geee...

$1000 for the global and fish. $1100 for the gun(probably the most beautiful piece of equipment ever made) When i see 4 digits it's completely out of consideration...

That gun, though, is comparable to the avisos board with the full carbon layup which retail for a lot more, and you get a bag and footstraps which IMO is good....and I agree it is a beauty. :-)

The board has been delivered with bags lately..

On the other ones, it seem to depend on which board you're looking at the 5'9'' skater was $760 or thereabout... at the site I saw.....if that includes a bag it is not at all bad... :-)

The Alaia is under $300 at the same site..

In any case, I'm guessing we see the prices creep up a little since the dollar value is so law these days...

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:23 pm

That gun, though, is comparable to the avisos board with the full carbon layup which retail for a lot more, and you get a bag and footstraps which IMO is good....and I agree it is a beauty. :-)
I duno about it being comparable to the avisos. I mean i'm not saying it's not as good, but they are vastly different construction methods and materials. Just because they're both covered in clear coat carbon doesn't mean they're made the same. Apples and oranges....

Return to “Kitesurfing”