Favorite Beaches: All where is good wind
Style: freestyle, jumping
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Rally, Octane
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to boost Huge Air?

Postby dvayu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 pm

I would like to learn how to go high and I want to ask those of you who knows how to boost huge what are essential steps to do so.

Just for the clarity and understanding of this topic.
10 - 20 feet = good air
20 - 30 feet = big air
30 feet & up = huge air

the goal is to lear go over 30 feet high without using wave as a ramp.

Please direct conversation about method how to jump huge instead of kites and boards (what kites are best for jumping etc). I know it makes difference but here I like to focus only on way how to do it.

CONDITIONS:
choppy water

KEY ELEMENTS:
Based on what I saw here are key elements :
1- power in a kite (do you think is better to go one size higher then normally?)
2 - tension in the lines (I notice bad habit I let my arms go high and as I going up I pull down, but higher jumps are if I am able to keep tension in lines during load and pop)
3 - edging a board (I have a problem with this one it seems like I can not hold the edge really well when I gain more speed)
4 - load and pop (this is where I am confused, I watch numerous videos but I can get it pop without little wave or sending a kite.
mark doyle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iK2iKtB820
shannon best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODZVT6nRfM
5 - timing (knowing when send kite, load and pop or using chop to help a boost)

SOLUTION:
Can you guys help me to set up together method which when learn help us jump huge ;)
I like to know key steps, sequence, most common mistakes and solutions. I believe with your help I / we can speed up learning process.

thanks bunch
David

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to boost HUGE AIR

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Very simple:

Above steps you describe has to sit "perfect" at first, to get big air when windy.

But for huge air, only one thing determines the height:

Wind and boardspeed :naughty:

Wave ramps or not, kitesize overpowered or normal powered, does not make any difference.

You got to be able to make "perfect" jumps regarding timing and edging - and then huge air will only be possible when the wind is sufficient (with smaller kites that is)

But to comment your points:

1. It wont help with a bigger kite, usually make it worse only... Hangtime increases a lot with bigger kites, but not the jump height. But of course you have to be well powered.

2. Tension on the lines - well, yes, you have to learn to ride with a lot of tension, but this is mostly in order to ride with full speed AND keeping the edge hard !

3. Edging - the most essential basic skill you learn the very first time you jump, so HAS to be present for all non-lousy jumps, so you can redirect your speed to as little as possible and get max height.

4. Load and pop - the most essential part for going the highest in a given wind speed - one has to learn by trying again and again....

5. Timing - well, again, like edging - the basic very important skill for going huge, but edging and timing is in fact one and the same thing, as they are connected 100% :naughty:

But before above points, there should be one more:

0. Windspeed and to some extent board speed - as this is by far the most important factor regarding how high it is possible to go 8)

:D Peter

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 pm

here are a couple of(old) pics of my friends and I getting at least close to 30ft (in chop central USA) if this is what you are looking for then listen to Peter. He hit it on the head.

to add one thing about chop:
with the surface texture very choppy I tend to bare off wind to pick up speed(usually in a gust) and look for a the smooth backside of a piece of chop to load against. This means I accelerate with the gust slightly downwind and then edge hard against the relative smoothness of the trough of two waves/ chop and that allows me to max out load and pop. Doing that timed correctly with the sending of the kite results in a straight up pull that will stretch your ribs out.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 am

Without a wave as a kicker it will be very hard to go above 30ft. I think next to your timing being all perfect you will still need to be a little overpowered on a small kite (9m or less) to boost past 30ft.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 am

Toby should be able to add something too, if he'll chime in ...

Huge air is my goal at the moment too - huge but controlled :o I'm still learning though ...
I find choppy ocean water to be hard to get big air from cos I can't get the board speed up or keep it up to get a good pop ... I send the kite and it yanks me up but I'm not launching nicely like I do on the flatter water of the lake. Like C&B says, aim for the flat water behind a wave.
Boosting up waves is easier but if the waves aren't going in the right direction, it's harder to do ...

This video was handy for learning about controlling the landing sequence ... http://vimeo.com/23289906 ... always much cooler if you can ride away from a 'massive' jump :D

I got a question too ... how far BACK should you send the kite? Sometimes, I just go straight up but sometimes I can feel myself SWING up a little further as the kite goes back ... is that good?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:29 am

For a start I do not profess to punch HUGE air all the time. I can measure on my hands the number of times I have been over an estimated 30 foot. For the most part i'm pleased with a jump in your Good Air jumpthometer. 20+ is unusual for me but there is a select few conditions were i aim for such height. Here's the things that work for me.

* The kite needs to be very powered to a point where you start thinking of trimming.... Don't trim you need all the power you can get.
* The next factor for huge air is Board speed and kite speed. The faster the better for both. Its real hard to go fast in chop. Yourl find one tack better than the other. use that one and aim for that magic spot of token flat amoungst the chop.
* load and pop and send the kite HARD all at the same time so you don't slow down too much loading up the rail. Letting the bar out while your loading and starting to send helps for me.
*then pull the bar in and keep it in until you reach the apex of the jump.
*From here its a matter of physics. The faster you are traveling the higher you will pendulum up and also the greater power the kite will have.
*I then like to do a fast redirect aswell and have the kite swing back over my head as i'm decending. I usually let the bar out partially and pull it in 4-5 feet before the deck for a soft pillowy landing.

* All my massive jumps have been done 20+knots. The biggest in the 25-30 bracket.

I know you didn't want a discussion on kite types. But if you want to boost big you need the right kite. You could have the perfect technique and never achieve rediculous heights because your running the wrong gear. A high aspect ratio kite is what you want (long and thin). low aspect kites will (short and fat) will not boost as high in the same conditions.

dvayu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leo Carillo and Belmont Shore, Los Angeles

Re: How to boost Huge Air?

Postby dvayu » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

PETER_FRANK:
thanks for your info Peter, you are right. Wind and speed makes difference. I remembers one of the best jumps I had was on my 6m RPM. I thought that bigger size make me jump higher but you made a point. Wind and speed, I guessing that with smaller kites I can swing them faster to 12 which will give me more momentum to go higher.
From your answers I saw that I need to improve 3 things:
1- always keep tension especially when kite getting 12 (I usually depower little bit and as I jump I pull it, but now I know that is not good)
2 - edging, what exactly you mean with redirecting speed?
3- load and pop - yeah I just need to work on this one, I can’t pop w/o sending a kite. So this I think will be the hardest

thanks Peter for all insides I will try this.

CRASH & BURN
Great inside, I never thought to look for flat water between chops. I like this
“Doing that timed correctly with the sending of the kite results in a straight up pull that will stretch your ribs out”

PLUMMET
Thanks man, I also notice that I have hard time to hold the edge in chop. Usually what happen to me 2-4 times in sesh I get speed and then as I sending a kite I just crash before I get lift. Reason I going so fast I can hold the edge ;) LOL I play with this so I can and still trying to find best balance .
Plummet, I think I do this
“Letting the bar out while your loading and starting to send helps for me.
*then pull the bar in.” but I either doing it wrong or I doing it wrong. I noticed that if I let bar going out little bit and then pull I am not going as high as if I hold a tension in lines. I am bummed about this because I thinking that is bad habitt and I need to get read of it. I am just so used to it. Maybe you have better technique and it gives you actually higher jump. Any idea what I doing incorrect?

;) I agree with you that for boosting high I need jumping kite. But I know if I put some names here it will turn into kite brand discussion ;), we can do that later after we put together HUGE AIR jumping manual ;)

to all,
guys thanks so much for your inputs. I don’t have to tell you how much rush and excitement I get from big air jumping. And hopefully with your advices and some practice me and other guys who like to go high we may be able to do it in shorter period of time.

David .
Attachments
how to boost HUGE AIR.pdf
(307.31 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 am

Most important ist power and the spot for edging.
The flatter (or more perfect the ramp) and the more speed and power in the kite you hvae, the higher you will go.

Most important stuff mentioned above.

Have a long depower, and be so powered, that you can hardly ride on the stopper....then get speed, look for a spot to edge (big ramp, flattest water, little kicker) and send the kite back hard...and pull the bar all the way in, and jump actively off the water...happy flying!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 am

maybe the bar is still out once the kite is lifting you off the deck. you need to pull the bar in just as you take off. Well thats what I do!

Do you have waves and small pockets of flat water in between? I'm usually boosting big either off the wave lips of coming back to shore using the small bit of flat infront of a wave to boost off. But it starts getting dangerous boosting to close to shore or in too shallower water.

I did a huge jump on saturday close to shore in 30-35 knots on the 8m as was floating though the air I thought hmmm... might actually land on the beach. So i re-directed the kite for a transition jump and came in landing on the shore dump within a meter or so of the hard sand.... I rode of camly with a sly grin on my face.

I think to a key for jumping big or even just jumping well is to remove the fear and know what to do if weird things happen. The fear is was will stuff it up for you. ride with aggression and confidence.

dvayu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leo Carillo and Belmont Shore, Los Angeles

Postby dvayu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:57 am

I like that Plummet. I think that jumping confidence come with experience and as experience grows, fear shrinks.

something to look forward to .

Return to “Kitesurfing”