Forum for kitesurfers
Chriskef
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Decision for Kitesurfing in Greece

Postby Chriskef » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 am

13 years living in Greece. The rules and requirements are hilarious. Never before has a national body focussed so heavily on the safety of kitesurfers yet totally ignored the fact that on land:

everyone rides motorbikes without a helmet (the port police go to work on their 1100cc bikes - no helmet). Often see the police here carrying wife and kid, threes up, on scooter. No helmets.

Noone wears a seat belt

You can get away with driving a car thats missing doors, lights, windows

Speed limits are largely ignored. Etc, etc......

Anyone that's been to Greece will know this of course and at times its an endearing feature. It's endemic in their culture to break the law and rebel. Why d'ya think there's a financial problem here - everyone does their utmost to avoid tax - even those that could easily afford to pay. It's what they do. With their own currency (Drachma), this kind of worked. But in the EU this could never continue. Anyway, my point is that the rules are there to be broken. I truly think it unlikely that anyone will get hassled for not adhering strictly to them. Be sensible, dont kite immediately upwind of other water users. I think most kiters are pretty smart & risk assess everything and everywhere they go. Just make sure you NEVER need a rescue from the coastguard!!

Chris

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 am

i always wear a helmet,i always put my seatbelt,the policemen ALWAYS wear their helmets...
i think my friend you dont live in Greece...i live in the centre of Athens for 30years...so gimme a break and dont be such a jerk thinking like there is no law in Greece....come and try if you think so..

exceptions exist in every country....and i visited a lot!!

doc1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: vropos,loytsa
Favorite Beaches: ai giannhs,loytsa
Style: freeride
Gear: flexifoil neutron 12,9

Postby doc1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:12 am

Is this post about kitesurfing or is it about GREECE generally?kitesurfing is free again,and thats what is important!So come to GREECE and enjoy the best wind and the best food by far :jump: :jump:

Chriskef
Medium Poster

Postby Chriskef » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Pumma wrote:i always wear a helmet,i always put my seatbelt,the policemen ALWAYS wear their helmets...
i think my friend you dont live in Greece...i live in the centre of Athens for 30years...so gimme a break and dont be such a jerk thinking like there is no law in Greece....come and try if you think so..

exceptions exist in every country....and i visited a lot!!
You are one naive, silly little Athenian. That was so funny being called a jerk. I've built up a picture of you already & it made me laugh more. Anyway, before you get your orange lycra, skin tight speedos in a twist, perhaps try and remember that Greece isn't just Athens. Think you'll find there are a few islands surrounding you. Take a visit to any Ionian island, since this is where I've been living since 1998 and you'll see my point. I never said there were no laws in Greece. There are. Lots of them. But people spend their lives ignoring them. And that was the relevance of my reply, i.e. that there are lots of rules there for kiters, but few are going to be enforced. So carry on anyway, but use your head and stay away from other water users, etc.

Hope that helps clear things up. PM me if you need further help!!

Chris

Return to “Kitesurfing”