Forum for kitesurfers
uncle sammy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Quick Link 2012

Postby uncle sammy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am

I also find it way too complicated to reassemble in the water.
The bar is nice and it's a pity the QR is complicated.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
... it took me several minutes to reassemble...
Seriously? :o first time I saw the 2012 bar in Thailand this summer, I pulled the QR and had it back together in a few seconds - it takes as long as the 2011 and earlier ones plus having to pull the red hat down... cos it's not spring loaded.

The 2013 one has a little catch on the red hat to make it easier to reset the pin but it's still not "several minutes" hard!
You gotta figure not everyone has as skilled of fingers as you Kami :P

Personally it took me about a minute the first time on land and I did it wrong too. After I learned the correct way to reassemble the release it only takes me a few seconds now. Maybe 10 max. in the water or on land. It does definitely require 2 hands preferably 3 but 2 if you're awesome like me but 2013 with the little catch thing should be even easier.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 pm

1) I swear I am not an idiot, although my wife and teenage daughter may disagree at times
2) I consider my self to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Heck I swapped out my garbage disposal last night after spending hours in a contortion under my sink
3) I have some knowledge of Cabrihnas. Have owned a quiver since 2008 and have road everyone model year since then. Ride frequently with Cabrihna dealers/reps

With all that said, I have to be extremely uncoordinated or you all must be Swiss watchmakers if you can put this together easily. The first time I pulled the QR it kicked my ass. Lucky there was no sharp objects in the vicinity or I would have rammed one into my eyes so I would never have to see that quicklink again.

We were on a downwinder in the ocean when I got tossed by a wave and had to release. I got back on the beach and assumed it would take a couple of seconds. Yes, I know I should have practiced this ahead of time. I think there was probably some sand in it, but I screwed with it for about 5 minutes. This is not easy because it requires 3 hands or some serious technique. So my buddy comes in, who is also a Cab rider and a lot more experienced then me. Looks at me like I am some kind of idiot and says he will do it. Well he messed with it for about another 5 minutes, when another friend comes in who does not ride Cabs. He laughed at both of us for having overly complicated bars. Fortunately no one else rode by, because it was getting a little embarrassing along with frustrating. My guess is they got the same guy who designed the Dyson vacuum and charges 3 times what it cost for a regular vacuum to design the bar. Eventually I washed the bar out several times before it seated flush. Yes the 2013 is much better with the hook and the ability to go in either direction. However, I would gladly go back to the simple but effective pre 2012 bars. For me the benefits of the new design do not seem to outweigh the cons.
I do admit with practice I am much better, but still do not think it is easy. Also you have to make sure there is no sand in it, the tolerances are pretty tight. On a cold day wearing gloves and deep water would be a treat. With that said, besides resetting the QR, I think the bar is great.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 pm

I feel like a large part of the complexity comes from the release being a round piece of plastic. If it was square or rectangular it would be easier to tell which way it is supposed to go back together.

I looooooove the swiveling leash attachment that was added for 2012. I hope they can retain that feature in the future when they finally make the release easy to reassemble. even with sand in it or with gloves on or while having a stroke. okay maybe not that last one but stoke victims should be able to figure it out hopefully. Something to reach for anyway ;)

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:42 am

If it was square or rectangular it would be easier to tell which way it is supposed to go back together
For 2013 they fixed it. It can go back either way. And with the hook that holds it open it is much much better. Unfortunately those of us with 2012s learned not to buy the first year of a major redesign.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 am

Maybe you just need big, manly hands like mine :wink: :lol:

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:49 am

Can you change out the Quick Link on the 2012 and replace it with a 2013?

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:Can you change out the Quick Link on the 2012 and replace it with a 2013?
You could but you'd have to buy a 2013 bar just to get the parts so I think you'd have to ask yourself whats the point.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:27 pm

The question I would have to ask myself really is why can't I get the parts?

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Parts

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:The question I would have to ask myself really is why can't I get the parts?

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Parts
The exact same reason why best won't sell you the 2012 bar by its self. its too nice of part to risk loosing complete bar sales to the custom bar modding group who would just assume upgrade the 1 new component rather then buying a whole new bar.

Believe me. I emailed best and begged them to sell me just the the 2012 bar with delrin inserts. They wouldn't do it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”