Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Family Vacation Destination for February 2012

Postby ice1969 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:50 pm

We are looking to schedule a family vacation in the Caribbean or nearby tropical areas in the middle of February 2012. We would love to find a vacation that is both family-friendly and kite-friendly. We are a family of 5 -- mom and dad, both 42 with 3 kids aged 11, 8, and 4 years old. Looking for something that would be a relatively short hop from the Eastern US. Need beach and/or kid friendly attractions as well as good access to kiting. I am still progressing from beginner to intermediate -- still working to improve and consistently nail my transitions. Would love to start jumping! My son -- the 11 year old -- is interested in learning to kite also. So a great kiting school or instructor is key this time around. In addition to land based accomodations, we are also trying to learn more about cruising on a chartered or bareboat rental. In this scenario, it would be ideal if the captain or crew were also a qualified kiting instructor. I swear I'd seen at least one outfit like this on the web, but cannot seem to find it now. All thoughts and experiences for land and/or water based destinations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

russzim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot, Mystic and Naish
Has thanked: 0

Re: Family Vacation Destination for February 2012

Postby russzim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:38 pm

hi ice1969

i recently took lessons in Barbados. there is a hotel that is right on the beach called Silver Point Hotel, i did not stay there but it looks very nice. you can kite off the beach right in front of the hotel and there are 2 kitesurfing schools on the beach, a minutes walk from the hotel. i used endless kiteboarding school. the owners name is Roland, he taught me and was very professional and safe, the school equipment is all in great condition and the lessons are done on the beach in front of the hotel. Bridgetown is only 15 minutes by car away.

hope this helps and happy kiting.

Hooked Cabarete
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Encuentro cabarete
Kitebeach Cabarete
Workum the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Encuentro
Style: Waveriding
Location: HookedCabarete.com Hotel/Apartments rental Cabarete/Encuentro

Postby Hooked Cabarete » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi ice1969,

how about Cabarete in the Dominican Republic? It's very consitent winds year round. There is some flat water on kitebeach and if you go further out to the outer reef there is good wavekiting. There are some very good kite schools around.
Cabarete has also a lot to offer apart from kiting. Nice restaurants, beautiful beaches to explore, waterfalls, Monkey Zipline jungle, SUP Tours, Waterpark etc.

If you are interested in Cabarete have a look at www.hookedcabarete.com. We are a nice little boutique hotel in Cabarete where you can meet up with other active people (we get manly kiters and surfers staying with us) or just relax in the breautiful garden. We do also get families with children here which enjoy staying with us a lot. Here is a comment on Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... RATES_CONT.

If you have any further questions, regardless wether you want to stay with us or not, just let me know.

Aloha
Nino

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi,
Have you thought of a boat trip? We have been running sailing/kiting charters in the caribbean islands since 2003.
We have a very comfortable and well proven 57' sailing boat for kite/sailing adventures.

We have taken alot of children onboard over the years and the kids love it. loads to do, sailing with dolphins, swimming with turtles, walks on the islands, fishing, great snorkelling, lovely beaches and of course SOME OF THE WORLDS BEST KITESPOTS right outside every day!!

check out our website for some more info
http://www.caribbeankitesurfaris.com/Si ... lcome.html

I am an experienced instructor and there are some great and safe spots to learn in the islands.

A trip in the Grenadines has short sails between islands in mostly sheltered waters.

Feb is one of the best times to down here too .....

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi Ice1969,
Have you ever been in the Mexican Caribbean?
PDC Kiteboarding School and EPIC demo center is located in Playa del Carmen, right in front of the Sandos Playacar Resort.

The Resort is an all inclusive specialized in family vacations.
The Resort is about 5 min taxi ride from the world famous Playa del Carmen 5th avenue, with shops, restaurants, beach clubs.....etc and super safe.
You have at the resort everything you need as food and activities for the kids, with an amazing turquoise crystal clear water right in front.

Now, right here, you ll find PDC Kiteboarding School, the only Kiteboarding school in PDC.
PDCK offers IKO certification courses, advanced courses, equipment rental and sale, storage, fresh water rinsing tank, etc.... but also an amazing mile long white sandy beach reserved for the practice of Kiteboarding! No rocks, no hotel, no construction, no road....just ocean and jungle few feet away from the resort.

If you wish to come down here and stay at the resort, PM me first as I will give you a special discount code that gives you 12% discount on your Resort/All inclusive online reservation as you are coming for Kiteboarding!!! :clap:

The School is equiped and teaching with brand new 2012 kites, only one to one instruction is provided, IKO certification cards are included and we have experience with teaching kids!!

Here is a link for you to check the resort: http://www.facebook.com/sandos.playacar1
Here is a link about the School: http://www.pdckiteboarding.com
Here is the blog: http://pdckiteboarding.blogspot.com

You can contact me at anytime by email at pdckiteboarding@gmail.com
Phone:+52 984 134 2673 (we are now en El Salvador surfing, and will be in Brazil in September, so email better).
Regards,
Mickey.
:mosh:

Return to “Kitesurfing”