All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 1250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 125  Next
 Post subject: Re: EpicKites (3rd Generation. 3G kites)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

So, something a little strange happened last night.
Went kiting yesterday and arrived about 3:30, other kites on the water were all 13M, 14M, and one 12M.
I was taking out a surfboard so I rigged the Renegade 11M and kited from 4:00 to 7:00PM.
I was a little underpowered, shifty cyclical lake winds had me tired from on and off the strapless surfboard.
Came in and decided to play around a little bit before beer thirty.
I have been harassing Dimitri to send me a demo Judge for months and months. :evil:
He's had his demo Judges pretty busy and because I am an old guy who rides hooked in, he figured I was not really a candidate for the Judge, so I had a hard time putting a fire under his ass to send me the Judge demo kite!!!
Well a Judge 8 finally showed up a few days ago. 8)
So at 7:00, instead of having a beer, I pumped up the Judge 8 just to screw around for a few minutes to at least get a feel for how it flys.
After 30 seconds I realized that I had enough juice to kite with it!! ..so I had one of the guys grab my Oxygen TT out of the truck and hand it off.
I rode the Judge 8 and the Oxygen until the curtain of darkness fell upon us.
Here is the strange part, the other kites on the water were Ozone C4 13M, two Waroo 13M, Best TS 12M, Epic Infinity (big guy), and a Bandit 12M.
Wind Alert says it was blowing 16-17mph at 7PM, and 15mph by 8PM.
I thought C kites were supposed to be two meters less per size than SLE kites?!!!
What did Dimitri and MoMi do to the Judge?!!!
How was I kiting with all those big kites with an 8M in 16mph?
This kite was so much fun I was laughing my ass off.
So direct, so much power when moved, screamed upwind in the gusts, downloop transitions were so fast and smooth.
The front "bridle" makes it feel like a true C kite of old, but the kite feels more rigid in the canopy than old C kites and the thing sheets out when you let the bar out! (unlike my C kites of old)
The Judge comes back up from a downstroke or a loop better and smoother than any kite I have been on in years.
The 3G Screamer 10M LTD is close, so I think it has a lot of Judge DNA in it.
Anyway, there is not much talk here about the Judge kites..but I really had a good time on this kite.
I will obviously need more time on it to know more about it but I don't think it is going back to Dimitri in a giant hurry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Frequent Poster

nice, That's the one kite I didn't try in the OBX with Dimitri. I totally should have. Send it my way next!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey OnB,

I am looking at the S10m LTD and was wondering what the differences are between the 2011 to the 2012? I was told that the 2010 was not the best for me (advanced beginner - i previously rode Hifi's) and that the 2011's are better. Apparently it is less powerful and more smooth. I haven't tried any epic kites but the 10m is what appeals to me. I am looking for a kite that will fill in between my 7.5 to 13 best kites. I am 195 and I am looking for something that will allow me to do low powered moves (looking to get into wakestyle) but also boost big. I am not looking for a wave kite so it has to be good to learn tricks.

James
www.theglobalartist.com

I am also considering the Envy, RPM and C4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

The 2012 is really stable, less fussy, easier to handle and more fun than the 2010. They made the power a little more smooth so that it's not so abrupt. As an intermediate/beginner rider, you'd be just fine. Take a few laps to get used to it, but that's about it. It's suited for all riders, but not as 'set it and forget it' like the renegade. But that payoff is the big air, super upwind performance once you're ready for that level.

Let us know how your progression goes"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Soul19 -James-
The (2012) 3G Screamer 10M LTD is a different kite from the first (2010) and second (2011) year models.
The first two years were hot rod versions of the other Screamer sizes.
The 3G version is definitely more C shaped, wingtips are more square, is more smooth and forgiving for sure.
When MoMi and Dimitri were working on the Judge kite, I think those square wingtips, and I'm not sure what else, leaked over to the S10 LTD and made it a much improved kite, it is more high aspect than the Judges though.
The S10LTD will drop right in between your current kites, it has very good range.
The S10 boosts massively like the the Screamers, hang time is almost as good, but I like the way the S10 turns and behaves in the air better, more forgiving in gusts.
But if you are looking at C4 and RPM (don't know the Envy) and you are going to be a wakestyle rider, the Judge model is where you might want to go.
Judge is more powerful than the C4 in bottom end for sure.
The Judge aspect ratio is lower than the S10 so Judges are chunky solid for wakestyle riding.
The boost and hangtime is big on all the Screamers so you will not get the real long float on the Judge kite that the S10 LTD will provide, but all of the Epic kites jump very well.
Even what Dimitri always says are his surf kites, the Renegades, jump very well.
Look at the Epic website for footage of Rocky Chatwell on the Judge kites, they will boost, they just won't fly forever over islands and stuff like Dimitri is doing in his Epic Attack videos, but they will give all the slack for handle passes and other stuff that my old ass will never do.
Judge has that one little loop for the front lines so no bridle really, so it a C kite all the way, but it sheets out like C kites never did when I got started, and it relaunches without any work.
The C4 and RPM are much more bridled, especially the RPM.
Please, no attacks from C4 and RPM people, no disrespect to those kites at all.
James, I hope that gives you a little insight.
Also, send a PM to Grantman54, he rides Judges and is a talented young guy who can give more detail about Epic kites for wakestyle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the insight and I will definitely look into the Judge for a more wakestyle kite.

James
www.theglobalartist.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello Mr.soul19,
It looks like most of your questions have been answered from different kiters. This is what I love about the forums, it is a great tool for helping people. Any way personally I don't like the JUDGE kites as much as the SCREAMERS. But again this is the reason why we designed few different models in order to satisfy every type or riders.

On another note, I caught my son Cameron picking on the new EPIC ATTACK #4 video that I am working on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:19 am 
Frequent Poster

:roll: Way to use your kid as a marketing device.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah, poor kid is sitting on a jet on his way to Greece to kiteboard two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:33 am 
Medium Poster

mo'wind wrote:
:roll: Way to use your kid as a marketing device.

?!?!?! :o

[ 1250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 125  Next