All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Light wind board
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:54 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello

I'm rather new to kiting (2 winters & 1 summer). My weight is about 85kg. Seems that i'm in a need of light wind board.

I have Nobile NHP 134x42 and i do like it when there is enough wind. But when wind drops i'm having problems getting upwind while others are still able to do it. What would be good light wind TT? Or what are the specifications for light wind TT?

Thx

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Light wind board
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 pm 
Medium Poster

hi redstar, your going to need something a bit longer and wider.There are more and more co coming out with some good light wind boards. I ride the slingshot glide 149x 45.5 and it is really thin and light. That was my main concern. It can up wind really good, kitting slicks is like butter, it has a nice flex to so the pop is nice, and the light board makes jumping easy on the abs.

If you are near a flysufer dealer look into the flydoor, flyradical, ect,,,good boards for light wind.
remember try be for you buy. :naughty:

more info
viewtopic.php?t=2360980&p=623374

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:31 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi there.....from personal experience I'd say that lightwind board is a matter of compromise..
The flatter it is (less rocker) and the squarer it is (less sidecut) then the more easily and quickly it will come out of the water and onto a plane.......however a square board will not be comfortable nor
will you ride with a dry face unless the water is smooth. I have pretty much the same board (a 2009) as the previous poster and would agree with what he says, as long as the water is flat its great fun......(but as soon as there is small chop I'll go to my Mako King). You should , as suggested, ride as many boards as you can demo before making a purchase, also most people are happy to talk to another kiter about their equipment so if you see someone on the beach with something that interests you, don't be shy to ask a polite question of a stranger.
Best of Luck.

Last edited by windybrit on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

beware the aforementioned Glide or Flysurfer boards because like others have said...they plane quickly, but the ride will kill ya as will the spray w/any type of chop. if you expect to ride in almost glassy conditions, those boards will be excellent. but add in some chop and so many light wind boards become unbearable. IMO, it's also important for a light wind board to be able to handle conditions if the wind picks up. many i've tried cannot, and are therefore one-trick ponies.

i'm a bit heavier than you and have used Crazyfly AllRound 145*48 (my favorite) and Airush Switch 146*45 over the last few years. these types of boards can handle the chop, and will get you going in the light stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

Check out agression kiteboards, phatty or super phatty. Sweet boards and super fun in the light stuff. Not as boring as any of the doors, more of a freestyle board. They have the barn doors and well if your into super light wind lawn mowing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

windybrit wrote:
Hi there.....from personal experience I'd say that lightwind board is a matter of compromise..
The flatter it is (less rocker) and the squarer it is (less sidecut) then the more easily and quickly it will come out of the water and onto a plane.......however a square board will not be comfortable nor
will you ride with a dry face unless the water is smooth. I have pretty much the same board (a 2009) as the previous poster and would agree with what he says, as long as the water is flat its great fun......(but as soon as there is small chop I'll go to my Mako King). You should , as suggested, ride as many boards as you can demo before making a purchase, also most people are happy to talk to another kiter about their equipment so if you see someone on the beach with something that interests you, don't be shy to ask a polite question of a stranger.
Best of Luck.

I agree with Windybrit. If you need really low wind potential then get a dedicated low wind board. As soon as there is some chop or waves, get a Mako King and your fun factor will increase. Try one before you buy and you will see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

BTS lightwind or rogue wave fat bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

Redstar,
Nobile offer some excellent light wind alternatives in the TT lineup. The Flying Carpet and the XTR are the two you need to look at. They also offer skim and surfboards which will work great in light winds.
Looking at a light wind kite could be another option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

jkrug wrote:
beware the aforementioned Glide or Flysurfer boards because like others have said...they plane quickly, but the ride will kill ya as will the spray w/any type of chop. if you expect to ride in almost glassy conditions, those boards will be excellent. but add in some chop and so many light wind boards become unbearable. IMO, it's also important for a light wind board to be able to handle conditions if the wind picks up. many i've tried cannot, and are therefore one-trick ponies.

i'm a bit heavier than you and have used Crazyfly AllRound 145*48 (my favorite) and Airush Switch 146*45 over the last few years. these types of boards can handle the chop, and will get you going in the light stuff.

I have no problem with spray with my 2010 Flydoor XL and it was my only board for a while, and I still ride it in all conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 pm 
Medium Poster

Buy a light wind board only if:
You get too many light wind days in your area for a long period of time
You havent got a lot of free time so u MUST ride when you re free, even if the wind is marginal.
You live too far from the beach so if you set out to ride its too much of a waste of petrol and precious free time to get there and then not be able to ride.

And thats because light wind kiting is not fun. but maybe better than not at all.
The choices are many:
Race board but you must learn how to jibe.
Wave board. Not as low end as race board. must also learn to jybe but can have fun in waves too so an extra bonus.
Big "normal" TT. Usually designed for beginners and/or fat boys. Not as good low end but less spray and u can probably hold it when the wind picks up a bit. Easiest to get used to but i think the least efficient.
Light wind specific TT. Flat, goes upwind well. very stiff, small fins, hard to load and pop. you will be needing to switch when the wind picks up. More efficient for light wind per size if compared to "normal" TT. You will hate it in the chop.

So the question is: Do you really need one? then what are the conditions in your area? How low you want to go? (for sub 12 knots start saving for big light specific kite)

I went for light wind TT. I got an 09 spleene session. i think its 141*42 or something like that. I sometimes doubt my choice cuz u can only mow the loan for so long before u get bored, hoping for the wind to pick up. but looking at others trying (and failing) while i cruise up wind with minimal pull from the kite has its fun....for a while.

Now dont mean to hijack the thread but what are the liquidforce skimfish and north freestyle wave boards like? any good for light wind? any good at waves? what are they like in higher wind?

Also weighing 65 -70 kilos helps.

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next