Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Just got my first strapped surfboard

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:11 am

So the learning curve starts all over again.

I'd appreciate anyones tips and techniques going from TT to surfboard style.

I need to learn jibes
make my toeside on my bad side alot better
and get the weighting right as its obviously different to a TT.

Cheers

Bros

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Just got my first strapped surfboard

Postby OzBungy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:29 am

More weight on your front foot. Stops the nose flapping up and down. Engages the rail for carving gybes.

Get really good on toe side. If you are not good on toe side then there's no point being on a directional (you need toe side to do the transition before/after you switch feet).

For foot swapping, there is a zone on the board from next to the front strap to just in front of the back strap. You can put your weight on that and the board will plane no matter what else is happening. For gybing you move your feet keeping your body weight on that zone and everything just works fine.

Imagine a straight line running down your body, through your feet, the mid zone of the board then straight along the lines to the kite. Focus your weight through that zone and you will be stable and moving.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby robertovillate » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:45 am

all kidding aside... take the straps off and learn how to ride it strapless....ride the board strapless for a while and then try the straps.

- start out in some mild conditions (i.e. not big waves or really sloppy/choppy water)
- make sure you have decent kite power ...being underpowered at first will suck, especially when making transitions - you want the kite to give you some pull//lift when transitioning to maintian your planing speed.
- wax the board really well (unless it's got a pad)...with wax you can really see where your natural stance is (which will always be moving).
- your first sessions on the board will probably NOT tell you where your optimal stance is...that takes a little time and will change as your basic skills progress. Going to weather, riding toeside, on a wave/on flat water...changes your stance all the time.
- riding toeside on your "bad side" - depends on how deeply rutted you are in one stance or the other - I admit I hate practicing this and have yet to say I can do it well, but kudos to you if you commit to it. If I am really focused on going upwind and making long tacks I'll jibe my stance, otherwise I ride toeside 80% of the time. But it is fun to master jibing on a wave/or on plane.
- leave your twin-tip at home (or at least bury it in the boot) so you don't get frustrated with the learning curve on the surfboard and fall back on your TT...ride your new board as much as possible and you'll get it dialed!

Twin-Fin
Medium Poster

Postby Twin-Fin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:36 am

Riding a strapless board is so much easier for foot work, adjustments, and learning how to switch from toe side to heal side at a moments notice, so you can smack the living $%*& out of the top of that lip. Yet at the same time its one of the hardest most punishing and humbling styles I have ever attempted. You can mess around with and without straps you be the judge, just go for it.
Oh ya, your suspost to have fun.
So if 20gals of water up your nose dose not sound like fun, then ya put the straps on that board.

I still dont get how that one dude ride with a hat on and it never comes off?

WaitWhat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja
Favorite Beaches: anywhere windy
Style: kooky
Gear: borrowed

Postby WaitWhat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:43 am

going from a twin tip to a directional might be easier to leave the straps on for a bit unless you are already a surfer. if you can have someone who is a good rider take your board out strapless first and have them put the straps about where they belong, beginners almost always put them in the wrong place. And leave them big so you can move around in them a bit. you will find the back strap is probably too far back for going upwind if it is set right for riding waves. So either lean way forward onto your front foot for short distances or take your back foot out and move it forward for longer rides but be careful if you only have one foot a strap. falling can be rally hard on that knee and oh, yea, have fun

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:33 am

plummet wrote:So the learning curve starts all over again.

I'd appreciate anyones tips and techniques going from TT to surfboard style.

I need to learn jibes
make my toeside on my bad side alot better
and get the weighting right as its obviously different to a TT.

Cheers

Bros
:thumb: :thumb:
Awesome.
When you are learning to ride directionals, make sure you go well powered in the beginning. Much easier to get things going properly, then once you get a good feel for it, you can go in light winds.

Like anything else this is much about kite control as the other boards. If you have that, you'll feel where to stand on the board, and you'll be hitting lips after your first session.

Guvner
Rare Poster

Postby Guvner » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 am

Weight over the board not off the side, even more so when not using straps.
I find switching before a turn easier in one direction and after a turn in the other.
Staying on the board is easier with straps but switching feet is not, so when using straps before you get the switches worked out maybe just sit down in the water to change direction if you have had enough of crashing for the day. When its side off and using straps and im jibing a fair way out i just sit down to turn as its just safer. Although I dont really use straps anymore as ive hurt my knee.

Chris1973
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007

Postby Chris1973 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 am

robertovillate wrote:- leave your twin-tip at home (or at least bury it in the boot) so you don't get frustrated with the learning curve on the surfboard and fall back on your TT...ride your new board as much as possible and you'll get it dialed!
IMO that would be the best advice.
When i bought my first directional i used to take my TT at the beach also and when things didn't go as planed i just took off the TT and kept riding, but that prevented me from learning so i just told to my self to forget about the TT for the next 5 or so sessions or at least until i learn how to jibe. And guess what, that was it.
I think if you commit, in about three sessions you'll be able to jibe and curve flowing turns toeside/heelside in flat water. After that take it step by step starting with small waves and soon you'll be forgeting your TT at home more often. Welcome to the magic world of kiteSurfing. :bye:

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:54 am

Unless you have a waist harness that slides around when riding toeside, I like using the Dynabar when I am surfing and use a fixed harness when on my TT,
I try and practice my surf transitions in waist deep water. I am always surprised on my board how far forward my weight is when initiating my foot switch. I find my back foot is right behind my front foot.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am

cheers bro's

managed a micro session afterwork for 40mins in flagging wholy gusty cross shore conditions.

So by no means ideal. I managed to get the weighting about right to cut upwind and stopped the front of my board from slapping around.

Dang those jibe feet switching turns are hard. I think i'll be practicing those for a while. I presume speed is your freind?

Managed to surf a couple of waves badly. but is i instantly see the glory. way sharper turning and i can feel the wave pushing me. Before on the twin tip it was me more riding the wave powering myself with the kite. I can now feel the wave pushing the board. cool.

Problem number 2 is that i'm goofy and my good side is riding toeside out and heel side at my local beach.

hmmm...

Return to “Kitesurfing”