MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:43 pm

The sector one design class will be starting next year in the UK..
there should be 6 boards at the event that you can hire to have a crack - and if you have a sector V2 60 then it's the same board.

I have spent a lot of time on the 60 V2 this last year and I like the fact that I choose to ride it from a fun perspective, it's actually a good laugh and easy to ride.. For me full on racing would mean training to actually ride the hardcore race boards for months before I could get round a course never mind figuring out any tactics! The Sector is plug and play - and for all but the hardcore I recon that makes it quicker and certainly more comfortable round any given course.

toober
Rare Poster
Local Beach: best rights in california, with great left sandbars!
Favorite Beaches: now why would i go and do a thing like that?
Style: barrel riding
Gear: twinfin surfboards, skim for flat, tow quad for heavy waves and maybe some loopies
Brand Affiliation: Pleskunas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby toober » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:01 pm

First of all, you have to define what you want out of a raceboard.

If you are full into racing 100% you are looking for performance and that usually comes with a durability premium. At a performance price!

The thing about most race boards is that you have to be very focused while riding them nearly 100% of the time. If you let your mind wander to watch the birds or currents or clouds or friend ripping by you will usually biff it and fall.

Something like the Sector is a great combination of the performance of a raceboard and the friendly-ness of a surfboard. Awesome for someone who wants light wind / cruising performance for exploring your local Bay but who can also go out and be fairly competitive against many others.

There are a bunch of guys here in San Diego (lightwind capital of the world) who are out on their sectors 3-4 times a week. They are the fastest and most comfortable guys on the water unless we show up with our full tilt custom race gear. But they are not far off and those thin airush Fins are really fast which is fun to go push it on a reach with them and blast off!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:27 pm

toober wrote:If you are full into racing 100% you are looking for performance and that usually comes with a durability premium. At a performance price!
I would agree with your post if there were free race boards available for $600 or $700 US. However, it seems like the free race boards (Sector V2) are selling for more than the price of a production race board.

You can pick up a 2011 production race board right now for under $800. 2012 boards are around $1200. When I was looking for boards I couldn't find a Sector 60 V2 for less than $1000. I was hoping the cabrinha transport would be a cheaper alternative because it's similar to a surfboard, but that board is $950. I have seen some good deals for 2011 North Freeraces, but they seem kind of small at 47.5 cm wide.

Custom mikes lab, aguera ... boards are more expensive. Larger fins are more expensive.

Maybe the new best freeride board (Kiaola?) will be cheaper.

I still haven't gotten a chance to try out a free race board to compare to my race board, so I can't comment on the easiness of the ride or the performance difference. Hopefully I'll get a chance to demo the Best board when it comes out. No airush dealers around here.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:24 am

We put in a fair bit of time on the North Race 2009 and the Race LTD 2010. The 2009 was more of a free ride board and quite fun. The 2010 LTD was way too much hard work to be fun. Fast upwind but horribly uncomfortable and not so much fun.

We are now riding the Sector 60 V2 (and a One Design which is identical except for the deck pads). These are the funnest boards ever. Good upwind. Huuuge fun and fast downwind. And, surprisingly, great on big wind swells and small waves. I love it. I will have one of these in the quiver forever.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:33 am

Comparison of Sector 60 V2 (red) vs F-One Fish (white, excellent upwind riding surfboard)

The F-One was in 35 knots with a 7m kite. The Sector was very gusty 15-25 knots with a 10. The average speed of the F-One was 2-3kph higher (because of the stronger wind and I was with a friend so I was hooning around more). The top speed of the Sector was faster and in much less wind.
Attachments
RaceTrack.jpg

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:25 am

When kiting in the surf on a surfboard I do lots of ins-and-outs. Carve onto a wave, ride in, carve, blast out, repeat. Eventually I have to stop laying, dig in and ride back upwind.

Today on the Sector 60 I did an 8km upwind run, followed by a 10km downwind run, followed by a 2km return leg. On the return leg I was doing ins-and-outs through the waves, and riding upwind doing it, gaining ground on each leg. So much fun!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:25 am

OzBungy wrote:When kiting in the surf on a surfboard I do lots of ins-and-outs. Carve onto a wave, ride in, carve, blast out, repeat. Eventually I have to stop laying, dig in and ride back upwind.

Today on the Sector 60 I did an 8km upwind run, followed by a 10km downwind run, followed by a 2km return leg. On the return leg I was doing ins-and-outs through the waves, and riding upwind doing it, gaining ground on each leg. So much fun!
..but do you feel you are actually riding waves on that board?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes, but it's more like surfing a longboard, or riding a SUP in a downwinder. Mostly trimming with a bit of pumping to add some interest to it.

Is it surfing like the best of the kite surfers? No.

Is it surfing like 90% of people who ever surf a wave? Absolutely.

Is it fun? :D :D :D :D :D :D

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:12 pm

OzBungy wrote:Yes, but it's more like surfing a longboard, or riding a SUP in a downwinder. Mostly trimming with a bit of pumping to add some interest to it.

Is it surfing like the best of the kite surfers? No.

Is it surfing like 90% of people who ever surf a wave? Absolutely.

Is it fun? :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sounds like great fun. The upwind-downwind sound pretty cool. But I can't even imaging riding waves with them...

We're vaguely planning a few treks here...just start one place then just go, but no wave riding..actually trying to stay way the hell away from shore as the swell mirrors on the sea walls.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 pm

OzBungy wrote:The 2010 LTD was way too much hard work to be fun. Fast upwind but horribly uncomfortable and not so much fun.
I haven't gotten a chance to try out a Sector, but after two months of riding a 2011 Cabrinha Race 183x59, I'm really stoked on the race board. I want bigger fins and a wider board!

Started landing a few tacks already. I thought it would take longer to get the hang of it. After only two months, I land about 1 out of every 10 tacks and ride off with my feet in the straps. 3 or 4 out of 10 I'm on the board facing the right direction after the tack, but have to sit down in the water for a second to get my feet in the straps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”