Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:29 am

Good lord that's tempting. I just might say screw the fleet, i'm gettin the kite AND the board. That puts cabrinha in the realm of possibility, however, I'd have a hard time building a fleet with that setup, but I'd never have to complain about the breeze again. As long as there's enough to hot launch...

I'd still rather someone come out with a sub $1000 board and just get the switch Nitro 14 that way i could get others on the bandwagon...

Considering this tho...

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 am

I think at this moment Sector 60 is the best bet for the one design fleet on a local level. It is a different board than Airush pure racer (heck it's even in a different category) so it is easy for them to freeze the design and it is already very popular. Board's easy to learn to ride efficiently, which makes the entry into racing simpler. Investment is quite safe - the boards are popular with kiters who do not even think about racing, so the resale should not be a problem if one changes his mind. Just about all you will learn racing Sector will be very useful when continuing into open class racing. I was thinking about organizing "one design" racing in my area, not because of "level field racing" idea behind it, but because of the number of Sector riders around. Now hearing about "one design" model, I'm really intrigued. Company commitment would be a big step indeed.

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized

Postby patrickrynne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:05 pm

super stoked this sale is going on at Adventure Sports Miami....there were about 10 raceboards at the beach this weekend in 10 knots of wind, and everybody was ripping!

Here is a quick video showing the boards in action...with some coaching insight from World #3 Bryan Lake

cheers

-patrick

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Just bought the cabrinha package. It's the best price for the 16M switchblade complete on the web and it comes with a FREE 183 raceboard.

If only I lived in miami where i'd have friends to race against.

Thanks Adventure Sports Miami

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

TooMuchEpoxy

Don't know where you live, but believe you can get just the raceboard complete for something like $850-$899...
If you want, PM me...or anyone else that is interested

steve

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm

I wanted a light wind kite anyways and anyway you shake it $1750 is a GREAT price for a 16M kite, with bar and lines, AND a race board. If the board is worth $650 that puts the COMPLETE 2011 Cabrinha Crossbow at $1100, bar and lines included. Thats cheap as a complete 16M Nirto with bar and lines from SWITCH, and it's a Cabrinha...

I don't mean to bad mouth SWITCH. To be completely honest i think their product would be a much better value. I would definately never pay the $2,200 retail i've seen this kite advertised for, but with such a steep discount i'll go for cabrinha quality...

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 pm

:D congrats on your new purchase
steve

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Nice find :)

At 24/7 Boardsports (Calshot, UK) we are waiting for our new delivery of five Sector 60s to come in (to add to the two we have on demo in the shop). They are a lot of fun to ride & make a local race scene a real possibility. Given our crappy choppy conditions at high tide & the variable wind conditions they make a lot of sense. Sure they won't smoke a proper raceboard upwind in 8 knots, but we set courses with plenty of super high speed reaching in 15-20 knots with a rolling sea state & it gets real fun & just a bit competitive :naughty:

Dan :cool2:

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:53 pm

The sector is probably a better board for fleetbuilding ambitions, however, this was a relatively affordable way to hedge my bets and double my kiteable days.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 am

Epoxy: good choice...there is no way you'll be able to "force" people buy all the same board. It just doesn;t make any sense...especially when there are better raceboards out there....I think the only way to make a one design, is if companies across the board decides on a design, and that design performs really well. Otherwise, some guy will come with the better board.... :thumb: :thumb: and say screw the one design, this offer was better :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”