Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bullshit Low Wind Ranges Claimed by Kite Companies

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bullshit Low Wind Ranges Claimed by Kite Companies

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 am

Poster: tautologies
I'm totally going to send dimitri an email claming I am Pump Me Up. Yay free kite time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ok let's not push it "tautologies" :thumb:

P.S. This is the risk I take and so far I have lost 7 kites doing this service. Sometimes people take advantage of us and we don't see the kite any more, even if I take their credit cards for security measures. But I know how these kites performs and this is why I stand behind my product and I am willing to ship the kite to them so they can test it. Oh my God it is 4:50 am, better go to sleep, it is suppose to blow again tomorrow .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 am

Dimitri M wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ok let's not push it "tautologies" :thumb:

P.S. This is the risk I take and so far I have lost 7 kites doing this service. Sometimes people take advantage of us and we don't see the kite any more, even if I take their credit cards for security measures. But I know how these kites performs and this is why I stand behind my product and I am willing to ship the kite to them so they can test it. Oh my God it is 4:50 am, better go to sleep, it is suppose to blow again tomorrow .
LOL, well the funny thing here is that no one knows where pump me up lives, or who s/he is. I think s/he lives on Oahu for sure.

Obviously I am kidding, and pity that you lose your kites. There are shitty people out there no doubt. By far most kiters seems to be pretty nice in my eyes though.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:34 am

if the wind don t have lulls, at 5knots, i can understand that people can ride ( despite lulls at 2knots wouldn t surprise me) with a raceboard or a foil board. (kite parked)

claims can be true if they don t tell which board they used, it could be a SUP, a raceboard, foil board for a 75kg guy.

my speed3 15dlx will stay at the zenith at 5knots, 4knots , it will be in the upper half in the full window, 3knots, it will hover 20cm above the ground/water, 2knots it will sit on its trailing edge.

with a foilboard and my speed3 ( he only has a 11 LEI otherwise for 8+ knots), a guy ride upwind without effort at 5knots, i need 6Knots with a raceboard to go upwind. 7/8 knots with a no volume directionnal.
the main problem is that in inland lakes, when u have , let s say 8knots, u have lulls at 5, gust at 10, and lakes dont always allow to do the walk of shame , so u must be sure to go upwind...

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 am

TOOOOO much Bulls Shit FLYING around on this PMU is so right!!!!
If it was possible to ride in 5-6 knots in Bali we would be kiting 350 days a year.....
Alex when is here is the first one out on his FS 19m forgot if is Speed 2 or 3 but he need 10 to 12 knots!
1 More knots and we are all out there with big Inflatoes.....
HOW I know !!!!! I know as I put a weather station at 30 meters high in front of our beach so I can see what the wind is doing at any time.... After a session I write a daily report and I can see who was in the water and who was not!!!
I tried Speed 3 21m and it does pull like a truck but 7 knots OF BALI WIND (tropical/ no dense) IN YOUR DREAM...
Normally I would not intervene anymore in this kind of post but you really took it out of me!
Bye Jankie

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 am

Hey I said I'd happily pay shipping both ways Dimitri - or you could send it to the club and let everyone here have a play ...

Today we had the second day of the comp - the wind meter said 5-6 knots and NOBODY could ride - not even the Zephyrs, Turbines and 17m Edge's. Most of those guys were using raceboards ... and most of those guys were fighting to keep their kites in the air. The Speed3 19DLX was flying but he wasn't going anywhere either. The one guy who tried to ride ended up having to rescue his kite from the bamboo spears on the shore when it fell in a lull.
Later, the wind picked up as the evening thermal came in ... I was riding upwind easily and had a look as I walked past the wind meter - 12 knots steady. I'd come in off the water to tell the organizers that someone had dropped their kite way the hell out there and was self-rescuing ... so send the boat cos he's in for a bloody long float and a longer walk!

Summer ... the wind is all show and no go. It'll be a different story in winter - not all 5 knots are created equal.

All I'm interested in is - can I ride when everyone else is riding? All those little skinny Asians?The answer is ... yes - Flysurfer is the Equalizer. The big Xbow doesn't have the grunt.

None of the lightwind LEIs the locals have get them going any sooner than I can (in any given wind) and that, to me, means that the FSer has the edge is sheer grunt.

Raceboards are the exception here - I chased a guy today on a big North board (165?) and a 17m Edge and while I was faster, he went upwind quicker ...

Basically ... what Jankie said :thumb: lets go back to arguing about the inherent risks of flying foils, that's far easier to pooh-pooh :lol:

Kitecave
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: co-ownwer www.Kitecave.com featuring Epic ,Core, Ozone, HQ, Wainman, Hyperflex and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Kitecave » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Ya lots of low wind claims !

What's important is that companies are investing $$ in making under 10k fun!

My brother and I were both on Epic Infinity/Oxygen combo this summer....on the water while others sat on the beach...Oh ya I'm a 215lbrrrr.....no wind meter...just big smiles and no white caps!!

For me at 215lbs 5 knots could be possible ....as long as I have a SUP on each foot!

Looking forward to trying the next version of Infinity....it's all about the fun factor!! :D

Cheers

Kitecave

adrood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish

Postby adrood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:15 pm

people dont uderstand what low wind kiting is. When you try to reach that low numbers you need an area with no chop at all (smoother surface = more speed) , light wind board that is fast on the water (thats why raceboards will win here any TT) and the ability of the kite to generate apparent speed (yes all kites dont generate the same) .

The most important part is the rider skill from all above. As far as my experience , i can hold ground from 7 knots on my windmeter at beach (For sure i cant know the true wind speed the kite flies) with a light wind TT 155x54 and ozone zephyr 17''m . My weight is 78kgr :thumb: :thumb:

Fun and jumps comes from 9knots though

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Nah I think rider weight is the biggest factor.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:44 pm

i recently sold my 19m flysurfer speed3 and got the 21m just cause i could. in the ultra lightwind i use a slingshot glide. the other day i simply couldn't believe i was still kiting. the usual trees at our spot were barely moving and no white caps. i didn't have a wind meter but there is absolutely no way anyone else could have been kiting on an inflatable, cause i don't think the kite would have stayed up in the air. it was defintely under 10 mph, i would have put it around 8,,and i could do some pretty fun lawnmowing jumps. i mean, i have always been impressed by the flysurfer but that day, i was super impressed. that kite has saved so many kiting days for me. best money i ever spent.

the other issue is relaunch in light wind. those inflatos are going to be almost impossible to relaunch unless you are standing up. the flysurfer is almost a sure thing in a lightwind relaunch.

all i can say about PMU is that he either has a secret vindictive agenda against flysurfer, or he has never tried their kites or,,,,,the other obvious possibility

just my 2 cents. let the responses begin!
Last edited by papasmerf on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:10 pm

I personally own an Infinity. I'm about 210 lbs. I can ride and stay up wind, and even do small jumps, in about 10-12mph with the Infinity and 146x46 twin tip. I witnessed a friend of mine who is 150 lbs staying up wind in 7-9mph wind with my Infinity and big board. It is truely an amazing kite.

5 knots......? The kite will stay in the air in 5 knots. Could I ride in 5 knots..... Maybe if I shed 60 lbs and ride a race board....?
Last edited by Dj A-Ron on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”