Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Renegade "Infinity V2" light wind machine.

Forum for kitesurfers
latino
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Renegade "Infinity V2" light wind machine.

Postby latino » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Yes you are right Mr. latino. I knew you had a video and was able to catch me falling in the water. Well no body is perfect. Any way I took the risk to post this video just to show you the performance of the INFINITY V3 that day. But you have to understand that once I was far away from the shore, the next thing was to turn around so I can get back to the beach. So I was trying to turn on the 12 foot SUP board that you let me borrow and for the life of me could not turn that big board at all. So suddenly the SUP board start moving side ways towards the kite with no pressure on the lines so I fell in the water and the wing tip of the kite slowly went and touched the water. So I got back on the SUP and was trying to relaunch it. This is what you see on the video you just post. But as you can see I was way up wind and was able to prove once again the stability and performance of the INFINITY V3.
Kiting on an SUP is very different especially when you are trying to turn while both of your hands are on the kite with a camera in your mouth and you have nothing to steer the SUP board so it can turn. Actually I was using my right foot to turn the SUP board while pushing it into the water as a paddle so the SUP board can turn. Big boards like that are very hard to move or turn. It's like a Ferry Boat and every thing is so slow.
On the other hand my friend Damien is well know for his talent in racing and everything else he does, and having a big Race board that is wider then the SUP I was using + very big fins and an 18 meter kite helps a lot since you are creating apparent wind and using resistance on these big fins. Using an SUP board is totally different. You cannot go fast and your single fin is so small that you will start to go side ways if you try to turn (especially on an SUP board that you are not used to). This is what happened in that video. The SUP board that I borrowed from you start going side ways while I was trying to turn and I fell in the water. I wish I had a wide RACE board that day with very long 50 cm (x3) fins.
A race board is more manageable especially when it's wider then the SUP board I was using and turns faster and of course planes faster and is way more stable because of its wide surface. If I had a Race board I would easily be able to turn the board and come back.
It was a pilot mistake and yes I do fall in the water. Very hard to turn that 12 foot SUP board especially when their is minimum wind out there.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:13 pm

This is a video of the INFINITY V3 performing in stronger winds then usual. You'll see in that video I had to change boards on the second part because I had a hard time holding an edge with the OXYGEN V2 (135x47) twin tip especially since I am 180 lbs. So I used the DROID V2 (135x41) twin tip when the wind pick up to 17-18 knots. But in few words this video will show you the performance of the INFINITY V3 in 10 to 18 knots which is very good for heavier riders (220 to 300 lbs). Personally I could of used a 10,12,14 meter kite that day but wanted to see in how much wind I could handle the INFINITY V3 kite.

YOUTUBE:

VIMEO:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pmaggie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Dimitri, IMO the lesson is (and I'm not talking about the Infinity but about EVERY ultra light wind kite): for the moment, kiting in ridicolous winds is not an option, is just an exercise of style or a research for the future.
You fell in the water, you explained why, no blame on you for this. But man, you're a pro! And saying you're a pro I don't mean you shouldn't fell, I mean that an average joe like me will for sure fall in the water far before you did! So my opinion is: I just can't kite in 6 knots, I just don't want to kite in 6 knots because I'm pretty sure that also if I'm lucky enough to start and ride 200 yards, I'm going to swim back to the beach.
IMO, it's completely useless this "no wind war" just to show that your kite or another one can ride 10 minutes in 5 or so knots, simply because most of us just can't kite in these conditions. We can dream of kiting in 5 knots, but the day we will try in the real world, our dream is going to vanish in the same thin air we hoped to ride.
I go skiing 5 months a year here on the Alps. Sometimes, at season opening, there's no snow or only a few. Nobody is looking for a pair of skis that can make you carve on the grass: we just wait for the snow, and when it comes it's magic.

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:36 pm

pmaggie wrote:Dimitri, IMO the lesson is (and I'm not talking about the Infinity but about EVERY ultra light wind kite): for the moment, kiting in ridicolous winds is not an option, is just an exercise of style or a research for the future.
You fell in the water, you explained why, no blame on you for this. But man, you're a pro! And saying you're a pro I don't mean you shouldn't fell, I mean that an average joe like me will for sure fall in the water far before you did! So my opinion is: I just can't kite in 6 knots, I just don't want to kite in 6 knots because I'm pretty sure that also if I'm lucky enough to start and ride 200 yards, I'm going to swim back to the beach.
IMO, it's completely useless this "no wind war" just to show that your kite or another one can ride 10 minutes in 5 or so knots, simply because most of us just can't kite in these conditions. We can dream of kiting in 5 knots, but the day we will try in the real world, our dream is going to vanish in the same thin air we hoped to ride.
I go skiing 5 months a year here on the Alps. Sometimes, at season opening, there's no snow or only a few. Nobody is looking for a pair of skis that can make you carve on the grass: we just wait for the snow, and when it comes it's magic.
Dimitri's video are here to prove the stability of his kite with no wind

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Dimitri, IMO the lesson is (and I'm not talking about the Infinity but about EVERY ultra light wind kite): for the moment, kiting in ridicolous winds is not an option, is just an exercise of style or a research for the future.

You are 100% correct Mr.pmaggie, who wants to kite in less then 7 knots!!!! It's not fun and its very difficult plus you need to have the proper equipment such as a special race board or a big stable thruster SUP board to be able to plane and stay up unless you fall like I did in one of the videos. So it's not for every body. But as you can see from the videos and from the witnesses the INFINITY V3 is very stable in light wind. I did test the INFINITY V2 in less then 5 knots against the V3 and it did not pass the test because I had a hard time to keep it up in the air and wanted to fall. I also tested the V3 against other big kites (which I won't mention the names) and they had a hard time staying up in the air.
So in few words the reason I did these test in less then 5 knots was to show you how well the INFINITY V3 was staying up in the air.
Now I have a lot of emails from people asking me if they should invest on the INFINITY V2 or V3? My reply to them is that they will be very happy with any of these 2 kites, they both perform very well in light winds (7 to 15 knots) but we found out that the V3 is more stable in less then 6 knots and has 5% more power then the V2, but again are you going to try to kite in less then 6 knots?
And not to forget the color combination the new INFINITY V3 has compare to the V2.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 pm

pmaggie wrote:Dimitri, IMO the lesson is (and I'm not talking about the Infinity but about EVERY ultra light wind kite): for the moment, kiting in ridicolous winds is not an option, is just an exercise of style or a research for the future.
I agree with you about kiting in 6kts, but for me the value with the Infinity is just staying in the air during the lulls that occur with low winds. I kite frequently in sub 10kts here because sometimes that is all I can get (sad but true) so if I can get going on a gust and ride for a while it is worth it to me. While kiting in this sad state, it is much better to wait out the lulls sitting in the water with the kite dry and barely hanging in the sky as opposed to kite fishing with a wet kite on the water praying for a gust to relaunch.

The low wind turning speed on the Infinity is also really good so if all you can get is a downwind run figure 8ing the kite in a very narrow window to stay on plane, it is do-able. Then anywhere above 8kts the kite is a blast to fly. I have a paddle board and I have no intention to kite on it. I will use my Infinity for more fun things even if that includes figuring out how to barely trudge along on my surfboard in minimum winds. At some point I will be out there when the wind gods smile on me. :D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Yes you are right Mr. latino. I knew you had a video and was able to

CATCH ME FALLING IN THE WATER.

Well no body is perfect. Any way I took the risk to post this video just to show you the performance of the INFINITY V3 that day. But you have to understand that once I was far away from the shore, the next thing was to turn around so I can get back to the beach. So I was trying to turn on the 12 foot SUP board that you let me borrow and for the life of me

COULD NOT TURN THAT BIG BOARD AT ALL.

So suddenly the SUP board start moving side ways towards the kite with no pressure on the lines so

I FELL IN THE WATER

and the wing tip of the kite slowly went and touched the water.

SO I GOT BACK ON THE SUP

and was trying to relaunch it. This is what you see on the video you just post. But as you can see

I WAS WAY UPWIND

and was able to prove once again the stability and performance of the INFINITY V3.
Kiting on an SUP is very different especially when you are trying to turn while both of your hands are on the kite with a camera in your mouth and you have nothing to steer the SUP board so it can turn. Actually I was using my right foot to turn the SUP board while pushing it into the water as a paddle so the SUP board can turn. Big boards like that are very hard to move or turn. It's like a Ferry Boat and every thing is so slow.
On the other hand my friend Damien is well know for his talent in racing and everything else he does, and having a big Race board that is wider then the SUP I was using + very big fins and an 18 meter kite helps a lot since you are creating apparent wind and using resistance on these big fins. Using an SUP board is totally different. You cannot go fast and your single fin is so small that you will start to go side ways if you try to turn (especially on an SUP board that you are not used to). This is what happened in that video. The SUP board that I borrowed from you start going side ways while I was trying to turn and I fell in the water. I wish I had a wide RACE board that day with very long 50 cm (x3) fins.
A race board is more manageable especially when it's wider then the SUP board I was using and turns faster and of course planes faster and is way more stable because of its wide surface. If I had a Race board I would easily be able to turn the board and come back.
It was a pilot mistake and

YES I DO FALL IN THE WATER.

Very hard to turn that 12 foot SUP board especially when their is minimum wind out there.

I CAPITALIZED ALL THE TIMES YOU ARE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT FALLING IN...
...PLUS THE HALF-TRUTH ABOUT BEING "WAY" UPWIND than let's say... Damien

You started way up the beach .....upwind of Damien..by quite a distance
So in reality you did not sail the borrowed barge upwind of him...
... as you want people on KF to believe

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:31 pm

With all due respect Mr.SupaEZ but like a Psychiatrist friend of mine that read all your post said: "you can't argue with an erratic person, just say OK to everything he says."
So OK you are right.
Any way for people that are interested in demoing some EPIC kites, we are heading to the Grand Cayman on the 28th of March until April 7th for some Epic demos. So who ever is interested to demo any of the (3G) kites get in touch with me via email: dimitri@epickites.com
And yes will have the INFINITY V3 for people that want to see what this kite is all about. Once again try the kite and you will see why people love the performance of the INFINITY V2 kites. They do what they are suppose to do if you are looking to kite in (7 to 11 knots) or (10 to 16 knots) depending your weight.
See you there.
:bye:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

You have to come here in France :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”