Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2011 Slingshot RPM Range - 12m is not necessarily 12m?

Forum for kitesurfers
p__han1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island, GA
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Tybee Island, GA
Sullivans Island, SC
Islamorada, FL
Huguenot park, FL
Style: wake/surf/big air!
Gear: 2012 Slingshot fuels 9m and 13M
2011 Slingshot fuel 7m. I need an 11!
Supershinn
Slingshot asylum
5'11" Slingshot Celeritas
5'11" slingshot tyrant
Ion apex harness
Brand Affiliation: AOK Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011 Slingshot RPM Range - 12m is not necessarily 12m?

Postby p__han1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm

I have a 2011 RPM 12M, weigh 188 pounds, ride a 132x41 twin tip and start having fun with a 15knot average. this kite is the tits! In all my sizes 6, 9, and 12 my windrange is exactly as advertised. I'm good from 15 knots to 40 knots.

Hopefully this gives some people wondering about the RPM's some insight from an actual RPM rider.

Also- C'mon guys! cut the shit out with the pump discussions. There are other threads that cover this. I think this is one of the better threads that has been put out in a while. There is a lot we can learn on this one

mo'wind
Frequent Poster

Postby mo'wind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Agreed very little difference in pull between 10 and 12, but the 10 is faster. I prefer the 10 as the "sweet size". I love the kites but having to buy 4-5 kite quiver sucks. No pump? Man SS you better come to your senses, that will not go over well. For me no pump no sale.

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby McAbe » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:45 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
McAbe wrote:...
They do <make> a LOT of extra $ by making the best selling kite (RPM 12m) smaller and cheaper to produce but still follow the price ladder and charge full 12m price.
That is the stupidest thing I've read on this forum in a long time.
You actually think SS made the kite smaller to save money on material?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think its that stupid, they are stupid enough to try and save on the pumps.
If you sell plenty of something even a small saving on each unit will make a difference.
Why would the kites be priced differently if production cost was not a factor?

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am

p__han1 wrote:

Also- C'mon guys! cut the shit out with the pump discussions. There are other threads that cover this. I think this is one of the better threads that has been put out in a while. There is a lot we can learn on this one
Yes-yes, he's right. Nothing worse than an interesting thread being dragged sideways. Sorry. :oops:

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:03 am

McAbe wrote:
CaptainArgh wrote:
McAbe wrote:...
They do <make> a LOT of extra $ by making the best selling kite (RPM 12m) smaller and cheaper to produce but still follow the price ladder and charge full 12m price.
That is the stupidest thing I've read on this forum in a long time.
You actually think SS made the kite smaller to save money on material?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think its that stupid, they are stupid enough to try and save on the pumps.
If you sell plenty of something even a small saving on each unit will make a difference.
Why would the kites be priced differently if production cost was not a factor?
I'll weigh in here with some factual stuff even though I believe this to be a troll.

In the far east, the Lions Share of production cost is material, it's imported, has to be pre-booked and forecasted (hence why they don't like specifying colour). Slingshot cut their kites with shaped panels, they don't run broadseam front to back panels (Not on their performance kites, I notice they do on their new 'bucket kite') so there is considerably more material wastage than kites that don't use this method (Count the individual panels on your kite). They also do stuff like grain alignment on their segmented leading edge, again another huge material expense over one piece leading edges. So, for Slingshot the material is a huge part of the production cost and it tends to be better spec'd cloth.

Now it is true, that one of the common problems with Far East production is the practise of 'scalping' small savings on undersizing products magnified by the volume, Dakine had an issue with this with their harness lines which imported British rope a few years back, a couple of mill here and there over ten thousand pieces adds up in extra profitability.

Now on simple things like harness lines it's easily done, but on complicated builds like the pattern employed by the RPM it would be very very difficult to scalp or shrink without some very obvious performance issues. So I doubt very much what your saying is the case either and certainly not at Slingshot the US companies direction they are after all riders like yourself why would they do that, if nothing else in this life, there is honour among riders in our world.

As to the pump issue, like you, initially for what it is, cost etc, it did seem like a paltry saving with 'stingy' overtones, but I looked in my shed the other day, I've accumulated dozens of pumps, I've even got those stupid little hand jobbies from when we used to blow up the struts individually (you lot don't know how lucky you are these days), so on balance and with their undoubted green credentials, Slingy are right to make the saving, less transport costs, you buy three kites you really only need 1 pump and if you've been around a while like me you don't even need the one.

I'd put your mind at rest chum, they are not out to 'fleece' you, if they were trying to do that they'd be spending tens of thousands of euros writing books at huge expense over how they've dominated the kitesurfing market for ten years and how they are the master kite race and invented everything, like another brand I could mention.

bri
Frequent Poster

Postby bri » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:25 am

which one of you winey little bitches is crying about a bloody pump. You've been kiting for a couple of years you've got pumps coming out of your ass.

Car check, garage check, garden shed check, spare room check, underneath desk at work check.

Grow the f*** up

noody
Medium Poster

Postby noody » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am

Not me, I've got seven plus three plastic shaft ones.

A neighbour browsing my garage commented about the three lawn-mowers and four vacuum-cleaners, "You some-sort of collector" he said. Then he went upstairs and started counting the pumps and kite-bars.

:D

H53Driver
Medium Poster

Postby H53Driver » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

OK...so all whinging and whining, and ranting and raving behind us now. Back to the photos.

Are the 10 and 12 almost identical in size and performance? And if this is not the case, may we please get an explanation that is not defensive and deflecting, and includes some specific facts. Also, are the 10 and 12 closer to 10 sq M or are they closer to 12 sq M? Mark

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Pumps.......I've been riding Flysurfer for 8 years and picked up a couple of old Fuels recentlyto taste the difference.......I now need to own a pump and use the dammned thing - only ever pumped up one kite before :D

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed

Postby McAbe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:26 pm

H53Driver wrote:OK...so all whinging and whining, and ranting and raving behind us now. Back to the photos.

Are the 10 and 12 almost identical in size and performance? And if this is not the case, may we please get an explanation that is not defensive and deflecting, and includes some specific facts. Also, are the 10 and 12 closer to 10 sq M or are they closer to 12 sq M? Mark
Yes, someone, please :?: .

Return to “Kitesurfing”