All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: achilles rupture
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Hallo.
I've been so unlucky that i've ruptured my achilles tendon while i was doing gymnastics :( . So now I want to hear if some of you guys have experienced the same? And how long time of the water am I looking at here?
I'm thinking that if I'm just crusing around, the pressure on the tendon is not that big. My doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to surf for the next 6 months eventhough I'm fairly young (28), but I hope some of you have some good stories about a quick rehab. :)

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: achilles rupture
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

I don't have any experience with that, but I am sorry, bie. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Haven't badly messed up my achilles, hope I never do. Still, have periodic strains in the gastroc related to skiing, impact that area and up the risk of achilles damage. I know a kiter who damaged his achilles when he was a teenager. That calf approaches half the size of his other leg today. He is still a strong, healthy rider but it has to take a toll to lose that much muscle mass and stability. Ruptured achilles is a serious injury. I would get the best medical advice you can find, likely not here, and follow it! I've read where motivated athletes with proper care have returned to normal activity in as short as three, more often six or months+. This stuff reinjures way too easily if you set yourself up for it and may be followed with incomplete recovery. All speed in healing but let it get there first.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:56 pm 
Medium Poster

Sorry to hear of your injury. I had exactly that injury playing squash.
It's all very depressing at the moment but rest assured it will heal completely and will not affect future activity. In fact the repaired achilles will be stronger than the other!
The 6 weeks or so in plaster will cause loss of muscle mass (my left calf is still smaller despite years of hard activity) and the key is to regain movement and strength in those muscles.
The key is to get together with a good sports physio and set some goals. Someone who understands sports will be much more use than a hospital physio who is usually dealing with geriatrics.
Give it 4/6 months or so, make sure you are confident in your head. You have a huge advantage in that you are young and heal quicky.
About the only downside is that the wound isn't very sightly so you won't be wearing those high heels!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 pm 
Rare Poster

haha high heels :lol:
Thanks for the good advice guys. I'm set to get the boot of in 3 days so I'm looking forward to just being able to move around again, without too much trouble

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:49 pm 
Rare Poster

By the way this is what it looked like after 5 weeks
Attachment:
IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG [ 545.11 KIB | Viewed 881 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 am 
Medium Poster

i had 2 injurys back to back... your out forsure for like 6 months sorry to say!! you REALLY REALLY dont wana mess it up again and have to sit out twice as long trust me!!! im amost at a year and im still no where close back to 100% but i can now kite and push myself again finaly!!!

NOW THIS IS A SKINNY LEG!!!!!!!!

take your time with recovery and listen to you therapist.... do it right the first time and you should be fine!!!!

Last edited by yosh on Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:07 am 
Frequent Poster

That looks so painful... :worry:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 am 
Medium Poster

dam, what r u going to do with your summer... i would freek out...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm 
Medium Poster

Curiously, it isn't painful when first ruptured.
The tendon has no nerve endings, the tissue around obviously gets disturbed during the repair op so while it's pretty uncomfortable it's not painful.

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next