Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are the most durable/reliable kites these days?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jdude
Medium Poster
Style: newschool
Gear: Xenon + Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What are the most durable/reliable kites these days?

Postby Jdude » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm

One thing is for sure, it's not Slingshot

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Jdude wrote:One thing is for sure, it's not Slingshot

Why would you say that? All kites are subject to destruction and bad luck but I can reassure you that Slingshot uses the latest in manufacturing techniques and new high tech materials in our LE, TEIJIN RIPSTOP T9600 canopy, bladders and finish trim materials - such as Ballistic Kevlar, Mark cloth, Neoprene Bumpers, individual Scuff Guards that are strategically placed in the most vulnerable areas of the kite to optimized durability and longevity of the kite ... In addition, Dimension-Polyant Darcron is used in all Slingshot kites for use in leading edge and struts. DP 175 is the undisputed leader in Dacron quality and durability.

Instead of blasting company's about quality, why don't you post images of either bad craftsmanship or capture highlights of design. Remember it wasn't too long ago kites had extremely bad builds and materials.. Trust me kite design and construction have come a long way since 2003 and rider feedback has been the main focus of most changes in build..

Here a few detail photos of Slingshot kite construction.
Attachments
RPM_19.jpg
RPM_17.jpg
RPM_10.jpg
Rally_11.jpg
Rally_5.jpg
Rally_8.jpg
FUEL_3.jpg
FUEL_1.jpg
FUEL_5.jpg
FUEL_4.jpg
RPM_12.jpg
Fuel.jpg

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 am

shymac wrote:

Why would you say that? All kites are subject to destruction and bad luck but I can reassure you that Slingshot uses the latest in manufacturing techniques and new high tech materials in our LE, TEIJIN RIPSTOP T9600 canopy, bladders and finish trim materials - such as Ballistic Kevlar, Mark cloth, Neoprene Bumpers, individual Scuff Guards that are strategically placed in the most vulnerable areas of the kite to optimized durability and longevity of the kite ... In addition, Dimension-Polyant Darcron is used in all Slingshot kites for use in leading edge and struts. DP 175 is the undisputed leader in Dacron quality and durability.

Instead of blasting company's about quality, why don't you post images of either bad craftsmanship or capture highlights of design. Remember it wasn't too long ago kites had extremely bad builds and materials.. Trust me kite design and construction have come a long way since 2003 and rider feedback has been the main focus of most changes in build..

I have some 2005 Fuels that are extremely rugged- I was also able to buy OEM bladders for them.

idobyms
Frequent Poster

Postby idobyms » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 am

Caesar wrote: What I was looking for is a durable kite with the same (or even better) jumping/height/hangtime characteristics as the SB.
give North Rebel a try...
better jumping / height than SB, at least in big sizes 12/10 m ...
very good hangtime also, not sure better than SB, but similar IMHO

good amounts of dracon on trailing edge, seems well built..
i hope so...just bought one,
I also were looking for durability, good upwind ability, jumping , hangtime etc
really good performance in gusty, not steady at all! winds

I didn`t like the 5th , and still don`t... but found rebel was the best option i had

:thumb:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:52 am

idobyms wrote:give North Rebel a try...
better jumping / height than SB, at least in big sizes 12/10 m ...
very good hangtime also, not sure better than SB, but similar IMHO

good amounts of dracon on trailing edge, seems well built..
i hope so...just bought one,
I also were looking for durability, good upwind ability, jumping , hangtime etc
really good performance in gusty, not steady at all! winds

I didn`t like the 5th , and still don`t... but found rebel was the best option i had

Hi idobyms,

Sorry, I don't like 5 liners.
Though their 2012er canopy material looks very good...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

idobyms
Frequent Poster

Postby idobyms » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 am

shymac wrote:

Hi Shymac!
unfortunately I have to agree with Jdude, at least on RPM IMHO
there are no pictures of trailing edge on your last post,
I think that`s the weakest point of SS!
The canopy starts tearing at the trailling edge, and by this time all canopy
is already really weak...

I came from RPM, love them (still keep my 8 m )
but canopy last much shorter than other brands, specially trailling edge
i don`t know why... I don`t know if it is because they don`t have dracon there..but it is what I had seen... lots of RPM with canopy issues at the trailing edge
after a year or less use.. no excesive use, a year or less of an average working-family man/weekend kitesurfer (you know)
that`s why i had to sell my 12 m,

I compared most brands in cumbuco this year, and allmost all had some dracon
reinforcement on trailling edge... why SS don`t ?
I quit SS know,...wishing my 8 m last a bit longer before canopy say enough!!

I wish SS solve what I think is a problem in future,
RPM is a really good kite!!! and SS lines are by far!! the most durable ones for sure!

just my thoughts!

KAWIKA
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Switch don't get payed by Switch luv the kites & price

Postby KAWIKA » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 am

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:44 pm

idobyms wrote:
shymac wrote:

Hi Shymac!
unfortunately I have to agree with Jdude, at least on RPM IMHO
there are no pictures of trailing edge on your last post,
I think that`s the weakest point of SS!
The canopy starts tearing at the trailling edge, and by this time all canopy
is already really weak...

I came from RPM, love them (still keep my 8 m )
but canopy last much shorter than other brands, specially trailling edge
i don`t know why... I don`t know if it is because they don`t have dracon there..but it is what I had seen... lots of RPM with canopy issues at the trailing edge
after a year or less use.. no excesive use, a year or less of an average working-family man/weekend kitesurfer (you know)
that`s why i had to sell my 12 m,

I compared most brands in cumbuco this year, and allmost all had some dracon
reinforcement on trailling edge... why SS don`t ?
I quit SS know,...wishing my 8 m last a bit longer before canopy say enough!!

I wish SS solve what I think is a problem in future,
RPM is a really good kite!!! and SS lines are by far!! the most durable ones for sure!

just my thoughts!
Would having a repair shop add dacron to the trailing edge change the flying characteristics? It should be a very inexpensive add on.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:57 pm

E^Ri wrote: I don't think you will have much fun jumping foil kites. I haven't ridden one but I just can't imagine a non rigid frame accelerating as much when you send it. Anyone know where I can find a video of someone sending it big on a foil?
That's the funniest thing I've seen on this forum for a long time! I almost want to send you a free 4.9m Flexifoil Blade and get you to try it in 20knots :-)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 pm

skyte wrote: That's the funniest thing I've seen on this forum for a long time! I almost want to send you a free 4.9m Flexifoil Blade and get you to try it in 20knots :-)
Will you send me one if I say something about how shitty a foil is (I am not saying it is, but if it means you send me a kite I will tell you how shitty it is) ;-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”