Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tube kite that needs to least PSI air pressure to fly

Postby McAbe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Its funny how many guys think they are so good that they need the latest and ¨best¨ kites every year, but they never pump them properly :lol:
If you want your kite to perform at its best you need to pump it rock solid, and stay away from the depower.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Part of the design and product development process is to fly a kite under load with reduced pressure to detect potential bridle geometry or attachment position problems. We also test with one or more struts deflated. In some designs, high pressures will reduce the structure's natural flex and result in more bar pressure and reduced turning speed so pumping 'HARD' is not necessarily best.
Cheers! :thumb:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Naish officially state that under inflation causes the leading edge on the Torches to rip, so depends on kite.

I've generally found that a high LE pressure helps with stability in high winds and under hard loads ie kite looping/turning or going from max load to full depower very quickly. Seems to be more required on flatter kites, my old 2004/5 c kites were quite happy with low pressures.

McAbe
Frequent Poster

Postby McAbe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 pm

I stand corrected.
Though I believe that most kites fly better pumped hard and that less than ideal pressure is by far more common than the contrary.

(One OT question for you Bill.
Ive got a quiver of the Surge kite designed by you, Ive set them up with a 5th line, but relaunch is ridiculously easy so Im thinking about removing the 5th, how would that work?
I love this kites but they don't exist any more so I have been looking at your Combat to extend my quiver, how do they compare, they look very similar?
Cheers!)

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 am

... Rebel still flys ok under inflated!

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:18 am

JG:
Right! Flat kites definitely are more sensitive to and generally need higher pressure/more structure.
JGTR wrote:I've generally found that a high LE pressure helps with stability in high winds and under hard loads ie kite looping/turning or going from max load to full depower very quickly. Seems to be more required on flatter kites, my old 2004/5 c kites were quite happy with low pressures.
Hi McAbe:
The outline of the Surge and Combat are pretty similar but the profiles, tube sizes and spanwise AOA are considerably different. Switch Combat is 2 extra years of serious development working closely with Marc Jacobs on larger sizes and Felix Pivec on smaller sizes. You can expect a more 'lifty' kite with better 'pop' and 'slack' for freestyle and the 5 & 7 are ideal for unhooked waveriding. You could probably remove the 5th on the Surge 9 and smaller - maybe even the Surge 11 depending on your weight and how you ride. Combat has smaller tubes and will need the 5th on the 9 and above. Sizing is similar so a mixed quiver will work OK. If you like the Surge, you'll love the Combat even more.
Cheers! :thumb:
McAbe wrote:(One OT question for you Bill.
Ive got a quiver of the Surge kite designed by you, Ive set them up with a 5th line, but relaunch is ridiculously easy so I'm thinking about removing the 5th, how would that work? I love these kites but they don't exist any more so I have been looking at your Combat to extend my quiver, how do they compare, they look very similar?
Cheers!)

McAbe
Frequent Poster

Postby McAbe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:43 am

Many thanks Bill.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:54 am

(Almost) any kite on our beach :o the older folk use electric pumps that never go a good job on the hi-pressure circuit and the young folk are in too much of a hurry :lol: launching and landing people is a hassle cos you get beat up by a floppy kite ... you kind of expect it at the end of a session, but going out with a kite that won't keep the LE shape - seriously?!?!

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 am

Just to add some more to this "debate", if we can actually call it that especially as we have Bill joining in. :D

I'm guessing but I'm sure that kite design does not look too closely at the effects on the foil when its distorted. How would you for starters? Damn clever if they do

In short, as said by others if you want the kite to perfrom as it's designed to then it needs to be inflated properly. This under inflation thing sounds kind of kak to me. I'd be almost certain that if you took an under inflated rebel out in decent winds it would be distorting all over the place and that must effect performance.

KE
Medium Poster

Postby KE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 pm

My 2006 North rhino in the size 14, 10, 9 file with no pressure.

my 9 that i bought in 2006 i have tried flying with out air many times. (Old kite just get loads of pin holes)
my 14 that i bought in a shop last year unused saved me as it was leaking air over time and got me to shore. (leaking because landed the kite in some small spiky plants)
my 10 havent tried it yet.

North should remake this kite, one of the better kites I have flow!
Now i fly 2012 Torch

Return to “Kitesurfing”