Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why is the leash the length it is?

Postby Motion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm

flyyboyy wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
flyyboyy wrote:It is kind of in the way. Is there a reason why it has to be as long as it is?
It is a very good question - and you got the answer: It is for handle passes and unhooked use :thumb:

As I ride hooked most of the time, I can and will not use such a long leash - would be a total mess to have "flying around", and in the way.

So I have a very very short leash instead, it actually only has to be 1 or 1½ foot long - much better and not in the way :rollgrin:

Apart from the days where I dont use a leash - as at many wavespots it makes no sense and you can choose to ride without the leash (when hooked, and not having a push release - so you dont accidentally unhook)

:D Peter
Thanks everybody, it's obvious now. I am new to the sport and would like to shorten it, but not endanger myself, so now I know what I am working with.

So I guess that ditching the kite by releasing the leash would be in the case of an out of control kite. Maybe a broken line etc.
No QR is for that situations.

Ditching the kite is the last resort when your life is in danger. (being blown to open see with no way of getting back ,....)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Motion wrote:Snip...

No QR is for that situations.

Ditching the kite is the last resort when your life is in danger. (being blown to open see with no way of getting back ,....)
I dont understand that one at all :roll:

Holding on to your gear, is the most dangerous solution most often IMO.

If the kite is pulling you towards shore or a pier or similar, after the QR has been engaged - it is extremely dangerous.
If you are a "cheapskate" and think the kite is expensive - and you hold on when surfing at spots where you could be towed around a point so it will be offshore - you can also lose your life especially in cold winter conditions.

As almost every kitesurfer rides quite close to shore - either for flat water and freestyle, or for waves, it will be way safer to ditch the kite and swim ashore.

And even if some kited in offshore wind, or it turned while on the water - I would still ditch the kite and swim ashore, instead of letting me be dragged out to open sea and in REAL danger :-?

So I would say that flyyboyy is very correct, in saying that releasing the leash is EXACTLY for the situation with an out of control kite, no matter what wind direction :naughty:

:D Peter

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride

Postby Motion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:26 pm

If you think your life is endangered then by all means cut it loose. But it should be the last resort.

Hard to describe it in few words, but i'm sure we meant the same think.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Anyone have any suggestions, comments or instructions on how to modify a "normal" kite leash to shorten it's length? In my case, I have a North leash.

Thx, Rob

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride

Postby Motion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm

I would look around to see which brand has the shortest leash. Some are very elastic and are very short when not loaded.

Don't cabrinha IDS system uses very short leash or link as they call it. Dont know about it compatibility with othed bars though.

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Postby murph68 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 am

I'd much prefer a belt of a nice soft leash in the face, rather than any part of the bar or chicken loop assembly :roll:

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:33 pm

No Handle Pass for me :D ... hence a short leash setup, with front connection :cool2:

Here is my setup (Cabrinha leash shortened and fixed on the harness bar)
P1070997.jpg
P1080001.jpg
Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

joandani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona)
Style: Old School / New School / Surf strapless
Gear: Naish Torchs 12 /9 2010
Airush Razor 7m
Slingshot Fuel 5m
Clash 136

Postby joandani » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm

flyyboyy wrote:It is kind of in the way. Is there a reason why it has to be as long as it is?
normally, they are long because off the double handel passes, i thought that one year ago because in my naish leash 2010 for exemple, is long enought to do a simple handle pass, but not so much to do a double, but i have no problem until i could do double handle passes :lol:
I think the reason is that one :P

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Here is a mod I did to my Cabrinha leash...
Attachments
Cabrinha leash mod.JPG
Cabrinha leash mod.JPG (123.17 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

Yeeeharrrr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton,Blackrock, Rhosniger.
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas, north Dyno, Nobile fifty /50, Nobile 2HD, Airush Sector V2 52c

Postby Yeeeharrrr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:40 pm

the leash is Also there to act as a shockabsorber, when a violent release is made, shit hit fan moment, then the boing in the elastic is very important, or you may snap the weakest bit in the system, also if you release in waves then the elastic softens the pull of a wave hitting the kite,
I remember many years ago having a leash without elastic and the violent pull pulled me over and kept yanking me all over the place, the soft boingy pull is important.

Return to “Kitesurfing”