Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leaving lines attached when packing away

Forum for kitesurfers
loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Leaving lines attached when packing away

Postby loco4viento » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Is there a self-aggrandizement forum anywhere or should we keep using this one?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am

SupaEZ wrote:
Laughingman wrote: I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite.
Care to make it interesting?
Are you 100% sure that you can self launch faster than me..... let's say a 19m2 in 8-9 knots

We both work and make hard earned money
How about a $500 bet ? :cash: are you ready to lose that money in case you could be wrong?
P.S. I never bet unless i am 100% sure
That's a lot of money.....consult your wife first about this

You are fast compared to the people you kite with....but against me you are 100% sure ?

Here are the simple rules

Use your largest (17-18-19) kitte and have your wife film you....she cannot touch kite...or help
It has to be uncut in real time...all in one take
Start the clock from the moment you put the kite on the beach still folded
Stop the clock from the moment the kite successfully takes off the beach

I have done it ( with harness already on ) in 4 minutes 15 seconds......6 PSI in kite...27m lines..XR2
Already have my video to prove it.....last night session i rushed and got 19km2 up in 4 minutes flat
Get to work on yours :thumb:
I don't think I am ready to take that bet just yet because...
1. Just finished an awesome day of kiting in 35 deg F air temp... Certainly not going to be timing or videoing in these conditions.
2. Most of the time I kite in areas where you must water launch
3. My biggest kite is a 13m so that would not be fair to you.
4. I would never pump a kite unless I had at least 10 knots of wind

So for the time being you are the king, but don't get too comfy... I'm no slouch and even if it did take me more time to pump my kite, that time can be used to prepare for launch.

Cheers
Pete

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 am

So in summary:

1. Keeps lines attached but hand pumps...Supaez

2. One uses an compressor style pump with a line management system so they needednt lay out lines.

The former is a little quicker.

Is that right? Too many posts I'm getting slightly confused. lol.

So what if one, used a compressor and kept their lines attached!!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 am

Westozzy wrote:So in summary:

1. Keeps lines attached but hand pumps...Supaez

2. One uses an compressor style pump with a line management system so they needednt lay out lines.

The former is a little quicker.

Is that right? Too many posts I'm getting slightly confused. lol.
I think that is where we will leave it for now until someone can prove otherwise with a video but we will need to adjust the terms if its me since I do not have or want a kite that big.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:24 am

Laughingman wrote:I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's really very simple, you could use a small stick if that was what was available to you.
u dont need line keeper. detach lines from kite keep rear lines outside, center lines inside. Lark's head the left rear onto the right rear. Now lark's head the right over both center lines and wrap the bar. When you kite again reverse the process, now you don't have to walk out the lines, they'll be ready just put the lines on the kite and unwrap the bar.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:34 am

edt wrote:
Laughingman wrote:I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's really very simple, you could use a small stick if that was what was available to you.
u dont need line keeper. detach lines from kite keep rear lines outside, center lines inside. Lark's head the left rear onto the right rear. Now lark's head the right over both center lines and wrap the bar. When you kite again reverse the process, now you don't have to walk out the lines, they'll be ready just put the lines on the kite and unwrap the bar.
Exactly. The video I linked to shows how this works.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 am

OzBungy wrote:I always detach the bar and lines. I also did when I used foils.

The main reasons:
- it is easier to handle the kite for packing, cleaning and maintenance.
- it is easier to handle the bar for packing, cleaning and maintenance (and I wash the bar and lines after most sessions.
- it is easier to walk to/from the beach flying the kite, upside down from the bridles, with the bar safely out of the way in my other hand.
- when packed the bar is away from the kite.
- I avoid excessive knotting, twisting and abrasion on the line ends which most definitely does weaken the lines.
- simplicity is always best. Wind out the lines. Attach them. Check them. Go kite. I always get out quicker than guys who use tricky methods. I always kite longer than other guys.

I second that. :thumb:

In the end, it's a trade-off between maybe 1 minute gain in launch time vs. all the above points.

For me it's a no brainer....

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 am

Laughingman wrote:
edt wrote:
Exactly. The video I linked to shows how this works.

Nope the video is a little more complex than that actually. I will try the above. Be nice to just wack on your lines, unwind, hook in and launch. Sweet.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Laughingman wrote:

I don't think I am ready to take that bet just yet because...
1. Just finished an awesome day of kiting in 35 deg F air temp... Certainly not going to be timing or videoing in these conditions.
2. Most of the time I kite in areas where you must water launch
3. My biggest kite is a 13m so that would not be fair to you.
4. I would never pump a kite unless I had at least 10 knots of wind

So for the time being you are the king, but don't get too comfy... I'm no slouch and even if it did take me more time to pump my kite, that time can be used to prepare for launch.

Cheers
Pete

1. Last evening had an awesome session in 70 deg F air temp..surf temp 81 deg..cold front N wind
2. Most of the time (95%) i sandy beach launch...other 5% (offshore wind i grass launch in a park)
3. My biggest kite is 19 so use your 13 it think it is fair (that's only @20 seconds saved-you need it)
4. I would never pump a kite unless i had at least 7 knots of wind

What i am saying is this....electric pump does not fill a kite faster...than the muscular way
It does however give you time to put lines on without increasing your heart rate & breathing

I do enjoy @ 1 min 20 sec of peaceful physical activity using a well maintained pump & EZ to fill 19

:cheers: cheers also

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:01 pm

"Time breakdown to hand pump a 19 already in launch position with lines on and using sandbag"

"Harness already on".....time starts with kite folded in 3 on the beach...with bar / lines on top of it

#1.Walk to fill the empty sandbag that i brought with me to the beach & return to kite = 20 sec.

#2.Unfold 19 m2 kite with trailing edge in line with wind flow & attach pump = 53 sec.

#3. Hand pump kite 19 = 83 sec.

#4. Detach pump and put away nearby on the sand = 19 sec.

#5. Walk go get bar & set the bag from inside kite to 3/4 outside-1/4 on LE near wingtip = 15 sec.

#6. Walk away from kite laying out lines completely = 34 sec.

#7. Hook in CL + attach leash + pull in trimmer = 16 sec.

#8. Go in position at quick pace 45 deg. upwind of TE and launch kite = 15 sec.

Total elapsed time 4 minutes 15 seconds from start to finish to get kite off the ground successfully

As we see there are very few extra steps to do getting a kite up that way :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”