Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Leaving lines attached when packing away

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:35 pm

WildDuke wrote: Leaving lines attached to the kite when packing away. I only have one kite and one bar and I remove the lines every time, basically because I have never come across anyone who doesn't. Does anybody else do this? It certainly makes sense!
:cheers: to the original poster

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:09 pm

drone wrote:Ten years of kiting, i'm always leaving lines attached, no problems, leav bar outside of the bag in side pocket. Two times faster setup.

I just can't get over not washing my bar and lines. Even in the old foil days I would take the bag as close as I dare to wash them down. How do you get passed not washing your bar and lines man?? There are metal parts to a bar and salt and metal don't like each other. Not do plastic and salt. ??

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zkatez » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:28 pm

SupaEZ Wrote:
I have done it ( with harness already on ) in 4 minutes 15 seconds......6 PSI in kite...27m lines..XR2
Already have my video to prove it.....last night session i rushed and got 19km2 up in 4 minutes flat
Get to work on yours

Hi SupaEZ,

I would like to see you doing it that fast. I am not quite clear on how you do it. Can we see the video? Thx.

Marty
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Marty » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Westozzy wrote: I just can't get over not washing my bar and lines. Even in the old foil days I would take the bag as close as I dare to wash them down. How do you get passed not washing your bar and lines man?? There are metal parts to a bar and salt and metal don't like each other. Not do plastic and salt. ??
I've been leaving my bars attached for almost 7 years now.
Fresh water and snow, so I don't have the need to wash the bars.
But I guess I should keep that in mind when I go to the salt water locations on vacation.

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Westozzy wrote:
drone wrote:Ten years of kiting, i'm always leaving lines attached, no problems, leav bar outside of the bag in side pocket. Two times faster setup.

I just can't get over not washing my bar and lines. Even in the old foil days I would take the bag as close as I dare to wash them down. How do you get passed not washing your bar and lines man?? There are metal parts to a bar and salt and metal don't like each other. Not do plastic and salt. ??
Baltic sea salt can't harm bar, low salt concentration.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 pm

Zkatez wrote:SupaEZ Wrote:
I have done it ( with harness already on ) in 4 minutes 15 seconds......6 PSI in kite...27m lines..XR2
Already have my video to prove it.....last night session i rushed and got 19km2 up in 4 minutes flat
Get to work on yours

Hi SupaEZ,

I would like to see you doing it that fast. I am not quite clear on how you do it. Can we see the video? Thx.
I sent you the video of self launch in a private message....with my lines always on

I do not have a video about packing kite away with lines always on

:cheers:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Have five bars...never leave my lines attached.
Prefer to lay my lines, run my fingers across and touch every inch of all four lines and leaders every single time I rig my kites.
Don't care a lick about "wasting" two minutes.
Also check the whole bridle, open and close my chicken loop, and open and close my safety leash before launch.
I pump my kites with a normal kite pump, it's exercise and it's just easy.
I don't want another piece of power equipment to maintain, I have too many of those in my life already.
When I go kiteboarding I'm there to relax, rushing to get on the water is not really the way for me to start a session.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Westozzy wrote:

Hello Westozzy
Of course you can rinse...wash.... bar & lines if you pack away by not detaching from kite
Just have to use a certain technique and not roll the bar and lines inside the kite

I have flown foils/ram-airs and tubes extensively and my technique is the same except for one thing

With foils the bar stays out of kite 2 feet away & in front from the central trailing edge (TE)
With tubes the bar stays out of kite 2 feet way & in front from the central leading edge (LE)

The reasoning for that is:

For a foil...for example a SP3 21... the 2 air dump velcro valves are in the central area of the TE
That is where the air escapes the easiest as you fold kite LE to TE
After kite is folded in 3 or 4 the bar is there 2 feet away and you just put it on top of kite
Now if you need to wash...rinse...it is very easy to get to it

For a tube..for example a XR3 19..the air dump valve is in exact center of the LE
That is where the air escapes as you fold kite from TE to LE
After kite is folded in 3 or 4 the bar is there 2 feet away and you just put it on top of kite
Now if you need to wash...rinse...it is very easy to get to it

When Flysurfer sells a kite it is ready to fly with lines on.....and the bar is situated at the trailing edge

For tube kites ..since air come out the LE... bar/lines should be... in front of it's center dump valve

Best tip i can give you is not to wrap lines too much on bar...leave them ..7..8..9 meters slack........
...or 2 meters more than the total length of the LE deflated on the beach (depends on kite size )

Leave plenty of slack in them so that you are able to walk around the windward wing tip....
....without the lines pulling on the leeward wingtip at all...and place bar 2 ft in front of LE dump valve

Before rolling / folding kite's wingtips to center and folding in 3 or 4...
.... make sure all the loose lines are tossed in the kite....and the bar stays out as explained

To rig up next time going out :

If you pump with your back to the wind
Put folded kite on beach that has bar on top
Put bar 2 feet in front of LE...and a bit to one side so you can pump
Start pumping to spread open kite but keep wingtips down...@2 psi for now...or open kite manually
Toss gently / precisely bar/lines over kite..bridles..etc...beyond the TE by about 2 meters
Finish pumping kite fully and flip it LE down
If you packed your kite properly without over wrapping lines...flipping kite will not tug at the bar/lines

Walk away your lines and you will see that they all are is correct position / alignment on the kite

P.S.
Due to the various bar rotations during packing / unpacking it is often necessary...
....that the bar be spun once...twice...or three times...clockwise or counter-clockwise
.....to separate the back lines ....that have crossed over and around the front lines..
....and it is normal to have that happen

:cheers: :surf:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Ta supaez. Now last question. Do you wash your bar and lines??

Return to “Kitesurfing”