Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Leaving lines attached when packing away

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Laughingman wrote:Assuming a "slide launch" is when you flip the kite and turn it along the wind then walk away and pull a downwind line till it catches enough air for the kite to flip up.....

....Even if I was doing a slide launch I still would only walk 25m away from the kite once as I unrolled my lines since I use a line keeper I do not need to run my lines out
Where do you store your line keeper by the way ?
Flipping kite to slide launch is extra step....takes a bit of time
Installing 4 lines on kite takes a bit of time too...
... since they have to be removed 1 by 1 from line keeper and put on each pigtail

I bet about a minute of time extra.....so you are going to be a bit slower than me....
..... no matter what .....since I do not have to do those things at all

:thumb: cheers again...hope you can laugh about it all :lol:

What do you think?
Convinced yet :wink:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 pm

No laces here....
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Laughingman wrote:Assuming a "slide launch" is when you flip the kite and turn it along the wind then walk away and pull a downwind line till it catches enough air for the kite to flip up.....

....Even if I was doing a slide launch I still would only walk 25m away from the kite once as I unrolled my lines since I use a line keeper I do not need to run my lines out
Where do you store your line keeper by the way ?
Flipping kite to slide launch is extra step....takes a bit of time
Installing 4 lines on kite takes a bit of time too...
... since they have to be removed 1 by 1 from line keeper and put on each pigtail

I bet about a minute of time extra.....so you are going to be a bit slower than me....
..... no matter what .....since I do not have to do those things at all

:thumb: cheers again...hope you can laugh about it all :lol:

What do you think?
Convinced yet :wink:
Where do I store it while I am kiting? - In the pump bag
flipping the kite may take 10 seconds so there is that but (your method of) positioning the kite and balancing a sand bag onto the leading edge also takes time. more time then flipping and turning
Installing the lines onto the kite is done while the kite is being pumped so doesn't take any extra time

not even remotely convinced.

while my kite is pumping I am saving 35 seconds on you by putting on my harness and my shades, hydrating, what ever it is I wish to do. While you are stuck, bouncing up and down, exerting yourself and using up energy that I get to use while having fun kiting.

In fact if I used your self launch technique I could also position the sand bag while my kite was pumping. Can you do this while pumping your kite?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Your electric pump seems slow at shooting air in the kite to be able to do all that stuff :lol:

In your best estimate what amount of time would your electric device take to say pump a 19m2 ?

What % faster would you say electricity is to get to the PSI needed in a kite ? 50%..30%..20%

Do you have any electric time numbers for say pumping a 12 or a 17 if you use a kite that big ?

Muscular time (actually quite easy) for my 19 is @ 1 min. 20 sec...........for my 12 @1 min.

Do you have a video in real time ? I do not think you realize the actual time you actually use.

Do it with the "largest kite you own" and self launch yourself on land in 8-9 knots wind

If you can beat ...harness on..shades on...pump kite..lines on..launch in less than @ 4 min. 30 sec.

I will mail you a $20 check for you to buy favorite Canadian Beer :cheers:

A 12 pack :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I see guys like you all the time with one bar.............several kites

They are on the water..wind picks up..they come in to change kite and have to take lines off ..
....then put them on their smaller kite.....quite a time consuming project and the wind is blowing !!!

Me i go to car ...get my smaller kite with lines on..pump it..launch...tear up the waves......
....while i watch from the water people still rigging....not even close to launching their kites

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Laughingman wrote:You know this does not have to be an either or decision.

I have one bar for 5 kites
I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite. No need to run them out provided you pay attention to how you pack up and unpack. The key is to have a system and always follow it.

So I have the benefit of speed but yet I don't have to buy or travel with 5 bars....

What do you mean by a line keeper? How does this look and work? I used to fly foils in the early days and yeh connecting and disconnecting gives me the shits. I do know someone local who never disconnects. Don't know if I could get past not washing my lines and bar in fresh water though?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 am

Westozzy wrote:

I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite. No need to run them out provided you pay attention to how you pack up and unpack. The key is to have a system and always follow it.

So I have the benefit of speed but yet I don't have to buy or travel with 5 bars....

What do you mean by a line keeper? How does this look and work? I used to fly foils in the early days and yeh connecting and disconnecting gives me the shits. I do know someone local who never disconnects. Don't know if I could get past not washing my lines and bar in fresh water though?
I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's really very simple, you could use a small stick if that was what was available to you. Or this
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/new-line-m ... ystem.html

awo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela, ubatuba
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, prea, barra grande piaui
Style: Begginer freestyle
Gear: core, naish, rrd and flysurferu
Been thanked: 0

Postby awo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:02 am

fastest way to have your gear ready, get a helper to do it right before you get to the beach, very easy.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 am

Laughingman wrote:
Westozzy wrote:

I'll take a picture tomorrow. It's really very simple, you could use a small stick if that was what was available to you. Or this
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/new-line-m ... ystem.html

Okay I see. Look forward to your picture. I can see how you must set up then.

Put your pump on, while it is pumping put wetty, harness, sunscreen and all that jazz on. Kite pumped, turn over and connect, walk back and launch.

Only thing I see, is when your kite is landed at edge of window and someone turns over your kite, you will need to then walk back behind the kite and see if the lines are all good. Okay if you have beach space I suppose. Or don't you bother and just have that once over turn which you fix up at launch?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 am

Westozzy wrote:

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/new-line-m ... ystem.html[/quote]

Okay I see. Look forward to your picture. I can see how you must set up then.

Put your pump on, while it is pumping put wetty, harness, sunscreen and all that jazz on. Kite pumped, turn over and connect, walk back and launch.

Only thing I see, is when your kite is landed at edge of window and someone turns over your kite, you will need to then walk back behind the kite and see if the lines are all good. Okay if you have beach space I suppose. Or don't you bother and just have that once over turn which you fix up at launch?
You can actually attach the lines while the pump is still pumping...
If you manage things you rarely need to walk down wind and check lines. I typically only do this if I self rescue and the kite rolls in a way I was not suspecting. Otherwise I am just mindful of how I manage the bar. This is all the same for leaving the bar attached.
If someone catches the kite I just either ask them to hold it while I wrap my lines and then pass the bar over the kite or take the kite, flip it in the direction it was landed and wrap my lines from behind and then pull them around to the front of the kite. It works well. It's not for everyone as you do need to always consider how your lines and bar and kite are managed but it is very doable.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Laughingman wrote: I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite.
Care to make it interesting?
Are you 100% sure that you can self launch faster than me..... let's say a 19m2 in 8-9 knots

We both work and make hard earned money
How about a $500 bet ? :cash: are you ready to lose that money in case you could be wrong?
P.S. I never bet unless i am 100% sure
That's a lot of money.....consult your wife first about this

You are fast compared to the people you kite with....but against me you are 100% sure ?

Here are the simple rules

Use your largest (17-18-19) kitte and have your wife film you....she cannot touch kite...or help
It has to be uncut in real time...all in one take
Start the clock from the moment you put the kite on the beach still folded
Stop the clock from the moment the kite successfully takes off the beach

I have done it ( with harness already on ) in 4 minutes 15 seconds......6 PSI in kite...27m lines..XR2
Already have my video to prove it.....last night session i rushed and got 19km2 up in 4 minutes flat
Get to work on yours :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”