Style: freeride
Gear: gear
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Leaf blower to inflate kite

Postby NJOY » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:54 am

Vin Stefanelli wrote:New Sport:
backpack blower boarding!
I'm just wondering...if you jumped out of an airplane with a leaf blower on your back, pointing downward of course, would it slow down your descent?? :naughty:

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Lmrutledge » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 am

Hey: I could also use the leaf blower to blow the Kelp off the beach that gets tangled in my lines when I launch my kite. :cool2:

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 pm

I used a Black and Decker, electric leaf blower for years for big kites, like the Contra 17 which had a huge leading edge. It would do 90% of the work and then you would have to top it off with the hand pump. No way a blower will get enough pressure to top it off, you need a positve displacement pump (compressor) for that. New kites have much smaller leading edges so it's simpler just to use a pump. I have also used, as described by someone, for the Flysurfer in difficult launch conditions but one day sucked a bridle line into the motor, so if you do use it for that, make sure you're careful.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:12 am

Two things:

(1) What adapter do you use to constrict the air flow from the big 3 inch opening down to the half-inch opening of the kite valve?

(2) If you totally constrict the air flow from the opening of the leaf blower, won't you create a lot of back-pressure and burn up the motor?

kyteryder
Rare Poster

Postby kyteryder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:28 am

there is nothing worse than listening to a leaf blower at 7am in the morning at home. O wait yes there is listening to one at the bloody beach. It would sound like a herd of jetski's coming at you.
It takes about 70 pumps to inflate my 10m kite, you bunch of pansies, grow a set and use a hand pump.

KR :lol:

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:30 am

NJOY wrote:
Vin Stefanelli wrote:New Sport:
backpack blower boarding!
I'm just wondering...if you jumped out of an airplane with a leaf blower on your back, pointing downward of course, would it slow down your descent?? :naughty:
yes it will until the cord runs out, petrol powered is better -tip- start it before you leave the plane

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm

kyteryder wrote:It takes about 70 pumps to inflate my 10m kite, you bunch of pansies, grow a set and use a hand pump.

KR :lol:

Ha thats funny. Takes me 65-70 for my 10m and 45-50 for my 6m. I kinda subconsciously count most times after blowing a leading edge once probably just because I kinda lost track of where I was in the process and was too psyched on the prospect of hittin some killer conditions. What a downer that was! I like knowing how many pumps it takes so I end up with roughly consistent pressure in the kite every time out.

Then there are those days when you somehow forget to close the dump valve before pumping. Usually waste a good 20 pumps before figuring that one out :-?

Pretty glad I no longer have a 14m. That sucker took some crazy pump time! I feel for those guys still pumping up 16m kites.

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I used a shop vac adapter to reduce the diameter of the leaf blower then duct taped a pump hose to the adapter. 5 minutes and $10

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:06 pm

kyteryder wrote:It takes about 70 pumps to inflate my 10m kite, you bunch of pansies, grow a set and use a hand pump.
10m? I think most people who are looking for an electric pump are going to use it on a 15m+ kite.

I used to use an electric pump on my old 15m. Then I had an 11.5m for my biggest kite for awhile and didn't bother with an electric pump. Now I've got one of the big new super lightwind 18m kites and I desperately need an electric pump again. I definitely wouldn't bother for anything smaller than 12m.

I've always used the Coleman battery powered air matress pumps which cost about $25 but they don't last long in the sand. Can the leaf blowers handle the sand?

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Hey,

Another option:

IMG_5599.JPG
Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”