Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dublin, Ireland
Gear: CB SB
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

splitboard - newind

Postby SteffenB » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi fellow kiters, did anybody else come across this kind of board in the real world? To split a board to prevent travel charters sounds good but how about the ride? Is there somebody out there who might share his experience with us? Thanks. Bye, Steffen
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 8184 times

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Re: splitboard - newind

Postby chipmunk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:47 pm

overboard
Medium Poster

Postby overboard » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I have a twin tip and a wave board from Bali Wind and they are both excellent. Very high build quality and a smooth ride. It is useful to put a board and kite into your normal luggage when travelling without having to pay excess baggage.

KiteschoolHolland
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands, Wijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Brazil, Tremembe
Style: Old school
Gear: Evo, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Mostly North

Postby KiteschoolHolland » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53 am

I have a Newind, custom made, and it rides fine.
Only thing is that the Italian builder writes no English (nor Dutch or German or French or Spanish) and is not as reliable as northern-european standards deem proper.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:31 am

I own an italian custom CKT split board and I'm really happy with it. It is not the lightest board on the planet but I already traveled 3 or 4 times with a standard bag (no oversize) and an hand baggage, paying nothing for the extra luggage. I put everything about kiting in the bag (2 sails, the split board, wetsuit, harness, bar etc.) and I keep my dresses in the cabin luggage (i own a quite big one, the maximum size allowed for cabin). It works very fine and you pay nothing for oversize/overweight.
About the board, if you're not a pro you don't notice too much it's a split one. It's not very light (about 3kgs with straps and fins) but once you're sailing the board is responsive, fast and with good upwind capabilities. It also has a decent pop. In my opinion, if you travel 2 or 3 times in a year it is a really good deal.

Kitebaja
Rare Poster

Postby Kitebaja » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 pm

My first option was Newind.
Reviews are rare on these niche items, and as pointed out by others, sales, negotiation and language skills are way behind craftsmanship it seems.

So after multiple unsuccessful negotiations with Newind I went with Kitelement Re/solve board: http://www.resolveboards.com/produkt/resolve.html
It looks very well and professionally built. Time will tell more about quality and service.

But it looks like by far the best complete offer so far on the market.

I am very surprised that sales of split boards are not picking up with travelling kiters.

Having said that I would like to still purchase Newind and directly compare them.
Price is similar.
Hopefully sales and manufacturing functions will ''split'' some day!
Although it’s a bit unlikely in a 1 man company :)

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumpjet
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jason Bay, Malaysia
Favorite Beaches: Bintan, Indonesia
Le Morne, Mauritius
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandits, RRD Style Board, Xenon La Luz, New Wind Divisible

Postby jumpjet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 am

I have 2 newwind split board 130-40 (one for me and one for my GF) and we use to travel around SE ASIA where there are some challenging restrictions on weight and dimensions at times (see Boracay..).

The board is really strong, and navigates well, has a single slight concave with squarish tips and it works well for jumps and manoeuvring. We have used them both in light/medium wind (indonesia-Malaysia) and strong wind (Sri Lanka) and works fine. Being about 70 cm per split piece and 40 cm wide, it fits in most big samsonite or reinforced duffle bags and there is no need to bring along a dedicated sport bag (or "golf bag").
The weight for the naked board is 2.1Kg (with the mid assembly titan screws). About 2.9 Kg fully equipped.
I have friends which own the same board and share my positive evaluation.
Fumini (the owner) might not be considered a "mother tongue" english type of person but definitely delivers a very good product that is an example of ingenuity and craftsmanship.
..and by the way, I am not associated with newind in any way. :nono:
Hope that helps... :)
Attachments
GOPR2779.JPG
GOPR8660.JPG
P6080038.JPG

toddalbinson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville beach NC
Carolina beach
The Basin
Masonboro Island
Favorite Beaches: Any with wind
Style: wake,free,surf
Gear: Switch,Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Switch team Rider

Postby toddalbinson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Has anyone experimented with cutting an old board in half? I know they make kits for snowboards for hiking the back country. Thinking about doing it to one of my old TT :?: Here is a link for the snowboard kit. It does it length wise so you can use board as with skins. would be cool to have a kit for kite board.

http://www.rei.com/product/742897/voile ... 1b2166becc

Return to “Kitesurfing”