All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: pickle or the nugget
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:15 am 
Frequent Poster

I am thinking of picking up my first surfboard. My goal is to learn to ride strapless and get out in light wind. Torn between the Space pickle and the Nugget. Both are about the same size and volume. Nugget is 300$ more but looks sweet. Any opinions?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: pickle or the nugget
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:22 am 
Frequent Poster

I never tried the Space pickle but I love my Nugget. Mine is a 2012, 5'0". Nice board for LW and just having a blast, goes upwind very very well, very fast too if you want. Great for learning. But if you want a cheaper alternative, take a look at the Axon WTF 5'6". I had one last summer and it is also very good in LW and I will say more of a real surf feeling compare to my Nugget that have a little bit of a skimboard feeling if I can say. The quality of the board and component on the Axon is on part with what you got with the Nugget IMO. I can't understand why they do not get more attention, really a good relatively cheap surf and perfect for a first one. I sold it but that is just because I buy and sell stuff all the time just to try many products. I would buy that one again anytime and in fact before the Nugget considering the price difference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:24 am 
Medium Poster

I have the pickle and it weighs more than the nugget, stock fins suck so factor that into ur cost, but it is awesome in light wind prob as good as the nugget but havent ridden the nugget, i have dropped it and banged it agaisnt rocks and its very durable, try to get it used awesome board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 am 
Frequent Poster

jespin4845 wrote:
I have the pickle and it weighs more than the nugget, stock fins suck so factor that into ur cost, but it is awesome in light wind prob as good as the nugget but havent ridden the nugget, i have dropped it and banged it agaisnt rocks and its very durable, try to get it used awesome board

I read somewhere else the fins were not great on the pickle. Are they that bad, or something that I could live with for awhile?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 am 
Frequent Poster

Séb wrote:
I never tried the Space pickle but I love my Nugget. Mine is a 2012, 5'0". Nice board for LW and just having a blast, goes upwind very very well, very fast too if you want. Great for learning. But if you want a cheaper alternative, take a look at the Axon WTF 5'6". I had one last summer and it is also very good in LW and I will say more of a real surf feeling compare to my Nugget that have a little bit of a skimboard feeling if I can say. The quality of the board and component on the Axon is on part with what you got with the Nugget IMO. I can't understand why they do not get more attention, really a good relatively cheap surf and perfect for a first one. I sold it but that is just because I buy and sell stuff all the time just to try many products. I would

buy that one again anytime and in fact before the Nugget considering the price difference.

thanks for the quick response....I will do a little reseach on the Axon..Sound interesting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nugget ALL the way. If u don't like it u can sell it in a heartbeat!! I'll buy it from u.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:57 am 
Medium Poster

the fins on the pickle vibrate, then when you put your board down and it lands on a fin it snaps off... :-?

got mayhem quad fcs, shoots upwind, no vibration and surfs good

the board itself is awesome

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/used- ... ickle.html

can't beat that price with a stick, do yourself a favor and order good fins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:06 am 
Medium Poster

viewtopic.php?t=2376119&p=752157

axon looks nice!

thanks for the shots seb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

Axom definitely looks nice. Not familiar with axom, how is their history with quality and warranty issues?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Do you want straps? If not you can get the Slingshot SP Wakesurfer version for half the price of the Kite version. This one is on sale for $335 and free shipping:
http://www.buywake.com/wakesurfers/slingshot-2013-sp-surfer.htm?origin=product-search&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&aff=5110&gclid=CMnSuY3WzLwCFdeUfgod-RUALw

Although the 2013 graphics were a little... interesting... :-?

I've got the 2012 5'4" wakesurfer version and really like it. I had been looking for a reasonably priced end of season deal or used nugget, but you can't find them.

I remember seeing a review on one of the SP or Nugget threads of one person who actually tried both, but I can't find it now. He had a nugget and his buddy bought the SP. They both tried them back to back and found there wasn't much difference from what I remember.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next