Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fix small dings instantly.

forum for kitesurfers

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Fix small dings instantly.

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Got a small ding on your tt, sb or hf you want to fix instantly but it's windy and you need to ride now?

No problem.

Grab some super glue, baking soda and a piece of sand paper.
IMG_1343.JPG
Gentle pour some superglue onto the dent.
IMG_1345.JPG
Then immediately tip some backing soda on top.
IMG_1346.JPG
Sand straight away.
IMG_1347.JPG
Job done. Go kiting.

Note this is not a structural repair. It fills in and seals up small dents, notches and scratches that don't need reinforcement.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fix small dings instantly.

Postby dylan* » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:56 am

Or just use any kind of epoxy that cures in UV light like SunCure. Takes 5 minutes to cure 100%, 10 mins if it's cloudy.

halloi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:24 am

dylan* wrote:Or just use any kind of epoxy that cures in UV light like SunCure. Takes 5 minutes to cure 100%, 10 mins if it's cloudy.
hold your horses take a deep breath and step back! 10 minutes! :-o
Due to bad night vision, double curved astigmatism paired with short-sightedness and a certain type of love for rocks, benches, shells and what not I am being forced to use my Suncure every bloomin' day which is why I know for "de la fact" that it takes AT LEAST 10 hours in cloudy/overcast skies to fully dry, especially if the wind conditions are perfect and its the number one favorite board. :lostteeth:

just my 2 cents, suncure is tha bomb but 10minutes+cloudy? :bang:

alright keep walking guys, there is nothing to see here!

cheers

PS: love the superglue backing soda idea!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:16 am

This is as instant as you can apply and pour the baking soda on. It also is easier to sand than epoxy.

Also most people have a tube of super glue and some baking soda in the house.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 pm

halloi wrote:
dylan* wrote:Or just use any kind of epoxy that cures in UV light like SunCure. Takes 5 minutes to cure 100%, 10 mins if it's cloudy.
hold your horses take a deep breath and step back! 10 minutes! :-o
Due to bad night vision, double curved astigmatism paired with short-sightedness and a certain type of love for rocks, benches, shells and what not I am being forced to use my Suncure every bloomin' day which is why I know for "de la fact" that it takes AT LEAST 10 hours in cloudy/overcast skies to fully dry, especially if the wind conditions are perfect and its the number one favorite board. :lostteeth:

just my 2 cents, suncure is tha bomb but 10minutes+cloudy? :bang:

alright keep walking guys, there is nothing to see here!

cheers

PS: love the superglue backing soda idea!
its never taken more than 5 mins personally even on the cloudiest days, I give it 10 minutes just to be absolutely sure... maybe its because I live fairly close to the equator... dunno

Btw I have neither baking soda nor superglue in the house plummet. What is baking soda even used for? I think the only time I ever heard of it being used is in school science class.

JakeFarley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida West Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 pm

How long do the super glue/baking soda repairs last? Is it a permanent fix? Does it adhere well to all types of material?

kiterocky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Best

Postby kiterocky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I have uv Lamp.. And epoxy uv.. Takes 2 minute sun or Rain.... :D :D kit cost Total tube resin plus Lamp around 16euro

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Why the baking soda? If I have a ding small enough to use CA on, it's small enough not to need any filler. Also, doing this ensures you have 10x more work when you decide to do a proper fix. Much better to just epoxy it up properly, slap a piece of packing tape over the fix and wait a bit. Sure, you lose a bit of instant gratification, but in the long run you're much better off.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:42 pm

JakeFarley wrote:How long do the super glue/baking soda repairs last? Is it a permanent fix? Does it adhere well to all types of material?
There's some plastics super glue doesn't adhere to. Its working on my carbon, bamboo. I'm only a couple of months in using this method. Not sure about the long term. its working so far.
Bushflyr wrote:Why the baking soda? If I have a ding small enough to use CA on, it's small enough not to need any filler. Also, doing this ensures you have 10x more work when you decide to do a proper fix. Much better to just epoxy it up properly, slap a piece of packing tape over the fix and wait a bit. Sure, you lose a bit of instant gratification, but in the long run you're much better off.
Baking soda cures the superglue instantly which means no unwanted runs. plus and seams to add a tiny but of volume.

There's no doubt that epoxy will be a stronger repair. But it will also be harder to sand. You may get a fast cure but then you could be sanding for a lot longer to get an ultra smooth surface. Ultra smooth surface probably doesn't matter on a TT or similar. But on a hydrofoil wing it does.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: waves,big air,megaloops,hydrofoil
Gear: Epic kites,g-force boards,cohete surfboards
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites

Postby nikalaitzian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 pm

BULLSHIT....EVERYONE you forgot that you must FIRST wash with fresh water ... Then wait to dry IF its sunny at least 30 minutes (unless you have a hair drier and electric power) and THEN fix any dent...The least you can do if you re lucky is 1 hour..

Return to “Kitesurfing”