All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: ripped kite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:43 pm 
Medium Poster

guys looking for some advise as i am a newbie on the topic. I have a 8" tear on my kite, I was told by a kiter the tear is in a good location. near the leading edge down 3" wide of a bladder. Anyways would I just purchase some tear aid or ripstop? I was told to offset if i do just tape, so that there is no wearing edge. i would assume I would also round off the edges? What about sewing it? I do have someone in the family who can sew, but not sure if there has to be a specific stitch of anything like that required? Also noteworthy the kite is 2008 Cabrinha switchblade, so it is a bit old, but only purchased used last year.

Second question, if I repair, Does anyone know the value of this kite approx. with a bar and lines? kite is a size 10, in fair shape.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: ripped kite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

A buddy has that same kite from the same year and the material of his turned to tissue paper consistency. I dont think he uses it anymore, but it feels pretty fragile.

I wouldnt spend the money on a professional repair for a kite that old. Ive had good results using KiteFix on canopy repairs like this. I know others dont like KiteFix, but its worked flawlessly for me.

Ive used tear aid tape on pinholes, and maybe 1 or 2 inch tears, but 8 inches seems big for just tape.

I would say value complete with bar is around $300 in the US

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
I would say value complete with bar is around $300 in the US

I agree with everything Dave said except the value. If you get $300 for it you are doing quite well. :-)

It does depend a bit on how the damage happened. If it was a weird damage caused by little or no impact I'd say the kite is trouble.

When the kite hits that old I think the value mainly is the bar...unless the kite has seen exceptionally little use and has been stored indoors in optimal conditions...and even then...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:06 pm 
Frequent Poster

Clean the area well with rubbing alcohol. Tear aid could work. I would use Dacron Sail Repair Tape on both sides. To reinforce you can do a zig zag stitch along the perimeter, with the stitch length set to longest. For thread, I'd use polyester.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm 
Medium Poster

sflinux - when you mention stitching it, my uncle said he can do ziz zag on his sewing machine..., so would we place a piece of tear aid or dacron over the spot on both of the sides then stitch around that perimeter?

davesails - you are right, the kite material is very soft, this kite did not hit the water hard or anything like that, it was only when I had onshore i noticed the rip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Be sure to keep some alcohol nearby to swab the needle after a few passes as it will get gunked up with the sail tape glue and screw up the machine tensions and cause some ugly zigzags

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

keegster17 wrote:
sflinux - when you mention stitching it, my uncle said he can do ziz zag on his sewing machine..., so would we place a piece of tear aid or dacron over the spot on both of the sides then stitch around that perimeter?

I wouldn't stitch with tear aid, just use it by itself.
For dacron, yes patch and stitch as described. I find it helps to put an iron on a low heat (not hot to the touch) setting on the dacron for a few seconds (on each side), to help the glue to melt into the fabric.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:40 pm 
Medium Poster

Is there another product similar to Dacron that i can use for sewing? I bought some 100% polyester thread for sewing, now just looking for some clear Dacron or similar product in Toronto, Canada. Tear Aid I can find everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 pm 
Medium Poster

For canopy repairs, you can use ripstop nylon sail tape on both sides. Multiple colors are available, so you can minimize the visual impact of your repair if you are careful. (Dacron, which is heavier, is generally used for leading edge and strut repairs.)

You'll see a crossword-puzzle pattern in the ripstop on your canopy, so when you apply the first strip of tape, try to line up the detail so the canopy will maintain its original shape and strength. Once you've taped both sides of the tear, use a zigzag stitch around the edges of the tape. (In general, tears over 1 inch in length should be stitched.) UV resistant thread is preferred if you want your repair to last a long time. Take your time and you'll be very happy with your repair. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It's an OLD kite ; so do the job Yourself, (including the sewing) because there's
not a lot to loose, if Ya screw it up. Getting the experience on using a sewing machine
is worth the risk !

Bille

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next