Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tennis Elbow

Postby dt73775 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:24 am

Been riding for a year now, and am starting to develop tennis elbow in my right arm. My ride last Saturday left my right arm almost useless. I am now doing stretching exercises and putting my arm on ice (no riding this weekend) , but was wondering, is there something I am doing or not doing that's impacting my arm or am I just getting old......................... :(

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Re: Tennis Elbow

Postby airsail » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:01 am

Had it bad last season, not enough warm up and stretching prior to going out. I tend to get it at the start of the season, after the winter lay off. This season I have been exercising more to get ready.

Kites with high bar pressure are a big problem too, this season have replaced the quiver with kite with much lower bar pressure and gone away from deltas.

The only way I got rid of it last season was strapping the upper forearm every session, at least I didn't wake up at night in pain after a big day, over winter it has cured itself. The season is 6 weeks away, see how it goes this time.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 am

possibly you hold the bar way tighter than you need to.. with the right kite you can almost rest your hands on the bar with small inputs. can hurt real bad to extent of not being able to pick a pen up. ride limp wristed with your bad arm for a while.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:38 am

I'd be interested to hear if women get tennis elbows from kiting too... apparently, the girls finesse the kites and us guys try to muscle the kites into submission - which may be why we suffer at the elbows...

I had issues last season, but nothing since then and I'm using the same kites. I've been trying to use my finger-tips to control the kite, rather than wrapping my fists around the bar...

So try changing how you grip the bar and working with the kite, rather than trying to force it to turn...?

oceansprince
Medium Poster
Local Beach: chios contari
Favorite Beaches: prasonisi
Style: waveride freestyle
Gear: cabrinha , wainman hawaii

Postby oceansprince » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:42 am

dt73775 wrote:Been riding for a year now, and am starting to develop tennis elbow in my right arm. My ride last Saturday left my right arm almost useless. I am now doing stretching exercises and putting my arm on ice (no riding this weekend) , but was wondering, is there something I am doing or not doing that's impacting my arm or am I just getting old......................... :(
I had the same problem last septemper.. last summer i start my day plaing tennis for 3 hours , then at midday i went for kitesurf until 15.00 or 16.00 and then i get to the gym.. so one day it starts and the pain was enough to make me stop everything except exercise to the gym and only with exercises that wasnt painful.. the ice and streching is the best way to fight it..IT NEEDS 4 or 5 MONTHS.. the doctor said.. i think after 40 the tendons lose their elastic and muscles the same.. And body needs more warm up before get it to the limit.. like me now where i have a broken bone from a 10 meter high jump (rip bone) and i cant jump but i still kitesurf even if i pain.. some years before maybe i could pass this wipeout without a broken bone.. this is a video with me kitesurf after my accident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MkM4cJ288

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 am

when a kite flyes not properly we control lines.the same with tennis elbow nerves.they start under scapola.we feel pain at elbow because is a delicate joint but" knots" are on the back.
With bad movements these nerves go and remain in tension until released with proper massagge(below scapola)if you have pain on upper elbow, nerves come from same side(right arm ,right scapola).
Pain from below ,nerves from opposite scapola(right arm to left scapola)
chek wikipedia for confirm.
Doctors will give you many options(cortisone ,streching ,rest ,electricity ,etc) focusing only the joint.
Nerves run on the body and move like kite lines so chek your"bar" first .
Anycase is not a question of age and rest will not be wrong(should last months).
will be days if you find someone able to massage the back(not muscle massage but nerves massage inside)

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:42 am

Bar pressure that simple,had really bad tennis elbow,out yesterday 6 hours wave riding, in bits today no problems with elbows,get or try naish parks,Tony

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

You're already doing the right thing: stretching. In particular, you want to do the tennis elbow stretch. See here: http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8038850 ... oadvis.htm

Ice will probably help when it's sore. But the stretch will help you keep the pain at stake. Do it whenever you can throughout the day and your pain will lessen. You do not need to limit your kiting. Just stretch to mitigate the pain. After one year the tennis elbow will burn out and you no longer need the stretch.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I became an expert on tennis elbow.Do a search, to much to list here. Took me 10 months to be pain free. Very frustrating.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:37 pm

This was 6 years ago, was told by an elbow surgeon that i needed
surgery and without it i would not be able to use my right arm.

I took a small swim-fin and worked out with it in the pool every day, twice a day.

Only used the fin for resistance against the water, and just barely moved
the arm so as to not over do it and kept changing the angle the elbow needed
to move the fin slowly through the water.

One month later the pain was Gone.

I think exercise and stretching are a Must, even for a 20 year old ; do that
before you get the pain and you probably will Never get tennis elbow.

Also -- grab your Kite-bar with just your finger-tips from now on.

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”