Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf Straps

Forum for kitesurfers
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Surf Straps

Postby OzBungy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:30 am

Anyone know why surf straps are designed with a wide end and a narrow end and which way around they should be fitted?

All my surf straps have been installed as per the manufacturers instructions with the wide end towards the inside of the foot. I tried them the other way round and they were much more comfortable. Of course I can fit my straps any way I want to, but why do all manufacturers show them with the wide end to the inside?

I also had a big breakthrough in wave performance yesterday where I found that placing my back foot out of the strap and fairly forward I got a much better carve through transitions and the board would sit much better on the face of the wave. There is no way I can move the back strap far enough forward to be able to ride in the strap in this position. The back strap sits right on the kicker where a surfer would have his foot.

This raises two questions:
1. Why are kite surfboards set up so much like standard surfboards when they clearly work so much better with a more flexible placement of straps etc?
2. Why do so many kite surfboards only have deck pads under the straps when they work so much better when you get your feet out of the straps?

In fact, everything works better on a kite surfboard when I get my back foot out of the strap. Better upwind. Better carving. More comfortable. Why are the strap positions so limited?

PS. I can ride fine with my feet locked into the straps and I am quite happy getting my feet out of the straps and swapping feet (or not). I having been riding kite surfboard for years. This is not a rant from a kite surfboard newbie who has not learned how to ride properly. The questions are more about why we get such a limited range of settings that explicitly restrict us from setting up our boards in the way that works best.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf Straps

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 am

OzBungy wrote:Anyone know why surf straps are designed with a wide end and a narrow end and which way around they should be fitted?
Better support over your arch. It is counter intuitive, but fatends inwards. I like the straight skinny ones on board where I really should not be on straps at all.
All my surf straps have been installed as per the manufacturers instructions with the wide end towards the inside of the foot. I tried them the other way round and they were much more comfortable. Of course I can fit my straps any way I want to, but why do all manufacturers show them with the wide end to the inside?
I think it protects the ankle better. With the skinny side in, I've gotten bad rubbing sores (as in bleeding).
I also had a big breakthrough in wave performance yesterday where I found that placing my back foot out of the strap and fairly forward I got a much better carve through transitions and the board would sit much better on the face of the wave. There is no way I can move the back strap far enough forward to be able to ride in the strap in this position. The back strap sits right on the kicker where a surfer would have his foot.
maybe try strapless? I mean I saw on major board brand that had their inserts way way too far back. It would make the board hop. Weird. I'd say normally front of back footstrap should be above front of front most fin. I also think including inserts in front of that, and further behind is necessary to accommodate different riders, styles and waves.
This raises two questions:
1. Why are kite surfboards set up so much like standard surfboards when they clearly work so much better with a more flexible placement of straps etc?
2. Why do so many kite surfboards only have deck pads under the straps when they work so much better when you get your feet out of the straps?
I am not going name names here, but I think you are riding the same board as my friend. He took it up with the developers that by some weird coincidence have not ridden a strapped board for 8 years. Go figure.

In fact, everything works better on a kite surfboard when I get my back foot out of the strap. Better upwind. Better carving. More comfortable. Why are the strap positions so limited?

PS. I can ride fine with my feet locked into the straps and I am quite happy getting my feet out of the straps and swapping feet (or not). I having been riding kite surfboard for years. This is not a rant from a kite surfboard newbie who has not learned how to ride properly. The questions are more about why we get such a limited range of settings that explicitly restrict us from setting up our boards in the way that works best.

Look at a board made for kitesurfing:http://www.naishkites.com/2012/boards/g ... tml#g_55_0
It takes care of all your issues. It rips. And it is the best looking board out there.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 pm

OzBungy wrote:Anyone know why surf straps are designed with a wide end and a narrow end and which way around they should be fitted?
"Narrow end"" inside is the way to go!
=> Easy exit/entry
=> Still comfortable when twisting the feet

Check my setup here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2373787&p=730866#p730866

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 pm

^^^ I tend to agree. My feet are pushed outward and the wide end wraps nicely around my feet and cushions them.

Narrow end out means my feet and toes are pushed into the less padded end. It hurts.

mmunzer
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mmunzer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”