Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Old Naish Mutant 4,10, still a great board, a short video

Forum for kitesurfers
haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Old Naish Mutant 4,10, still a great board, a short video

Postby haiku » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi folks. Here's a short video of a summer kitebarding session I had at my home spot Latina Italy with the amazing Naish Mutant 4,10 Pro Edition (still one of the best board I've ever had). I'm wondering why such kind of product are no longer available :( .
A big ciao from Italy :bye:

http://vimeo.com/36072147

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Old Naish Mutant 4,10, still a great board, a short vide

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 pm

What they said at my local shop was that they weren't selling. I've had two, but never really got comfortable on either.

JMF
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JMF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 pm

WOW talk about blast from the past. Saw this poor bugger turned into a table at a resturant overlooking Walvis Bay Namibia two years ago. If you need spares you know where to get some :lol: Board was waaaaay ahead of it's time. I remember it being a very hard ride to say the least. Nice to see them still being used.

Last edited by JMF on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Nice.
That is the picture of my first board ever. Well probably not that exact board.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 pm

The 4'10 Pro was the nicest production Mutant Naish ever made - I remember seeing an early prototype in Tarifa and bought one as soon as it came out - then rode it until it broke - but before it did, I got a custom built copy.. which still gets used & gets some strange looks from riders who have never seen a Mutant before.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Still have a 4.7 Pro in my garage, next to 121 Alien and a Colin McCulloch custom mutant.
I should give them a spin one of these days. About not selling in quantities: when they came out it was a niche thing to ride mutants (it probably always was).
However, what I was looking for in mutants (a proper board with a nose and a tail and superior carving) is what my surfboard does today - and to a much larger extent. Plus you can jump them old-school just fine.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Dirk wrote:Still have a 4.7 Pro in my garage, next to 121 Alien and a Colin McCulloch custom mutant.
I'm not sure about the Alien, I had a few decent sessions on mine, but still having a 4.7 Pro plus one of Colin's Mutants is superb. I still think of Colin every time I have a session. Please promise never to sell it.. but if you do, PM me first please, as I will always take it off you.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 am

The pro was different from what I had. I had the version before, which was a dog. Alien was a huge step forward from the old version. The white Alien seems the better to me, I just need so much power on the green ones, that I think was slimmer.
One of my buddies liked his pro so much at the end it was more glue and epoxy than board left of it. He tried to beat that thing to death so long I was amazed at how it held up.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 am

ya, memories. I think that gen of mutants were really good "bump and jump" boards. I had an 5'2" NRG mutant by John Amundson. That thing was a really fun board and took a sh!t kickin', it took me 4 years to finally break it. :thumb:
NRG.JPG
my 2000-ish 5'2" NRG mutant
NRG.JPG (169.19 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 am

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Alien, I had a few decent sessions on mine, but still having a 4.7 Pro plus one of Colin's Mutants is superb. I still think of Colin every time I have a session. Please promise never to sell it.. but if you do, PM me first please, as I will always take it off you.[/quote]

Don´t worry. I am never going to sell it. And if I don´t use it anymore just to keep it as a tribute to the guy.
It is a small mutant (1,29 x 0,38), the shape which went into production as Airush Sidewinder. The only thing which keeps me from using it (apart from focussing more on my surfboard) is the narrow stance. I am used to a much wider stance today, on TTs also. Maybe I will have some extra inserts put into it and take it to the water again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”