Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding on small Lakes in the United States?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Force Academy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil, Slingshot, Naish
Brand Affiliation: All
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding on small Lakes in the United States?

Postby Kite Force Academy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

We are currently battling Park and Recreation to Kiteboard on a lake in our county but they argue its too small and we will be endangering normal park goers. This is one of their main arguments.

Its Longview lake, Missouri with 930 Acres of surface area.

In order to help our case we need to find other lakes in the united states that are as large or smaller then this lake that allow kiteboarding.

Anyone have any info and website so you might be able to help our case please? :argue:

Thanks in advance,
John

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Re: Kiteboarding on small Lakes in the United States?

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 am

Lake Lanier - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lanier has a surface area of 37,000 acres (150 km2) and has 540 forum users on http://windsurfatlanta.org/ and probably 50 regular windsurfers around the area. Their are roughly 1800+ members in the 3 sailing clubs and here is a clear glimps of conditions. http://windalert.com/profile/196907

In short - I would tend to agree that unless you have super clean wind and tons of fetch kiting on 900 acres is prob a little sketchy. Some of the smaller lakes in Michigan get ridden in the winter snow kiting etc. You might try looking around there...

Moultonlava
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None
Style: snowkite
Gear: Ozone Instinct sport II 15m
Ozone Instinct sport II 11m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Moultonlava » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 am

Aurora Reservoir, this is where we kite in Denver area. https://www.auroragov.org/ThingsToDo/Re ... /index.htm. The lake is only non Motorized though. :D

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:58 am

We ride Lake Pflugerville (http://www.cityofpflugerville.com/index.aspx?nid=824 and http://www.cityofpflugerville.com/index.aspx?NID=1483) which is only 180 acres and only non motorized boats are allowed.

There is a regular crew of about 15 of us and the city includes windsurfing/kiteboarding in the lake description. The city even had us show up for a minor commercial shoot, which we haven't seen the results of yet. So, at this point we have a pretty good rapport with the city but we also actively try to police our sport and keep everyone safe. We talk to all new people and have had some pretty harsh words with folks that don't take safety seriously and have done stupid stuff (that could have endangered other park users).

Turns out the lake is really gusty and not particularly good for learning (or learning new tricks) but it's close, so we take what we can get. Here's some videos of our spot:

http://www.youtube.com/splatnik

keep in mind, looks fun but you can't see how friggin' gusty the place is...

kiteguy23
Frequent Poster

Postby kiteguy23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

Nice, thanks for the replies guys! This will help out the case. Any small lakes below 900 acres that ARE motorized?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Kite Force Academy wrote:
... but they argue its too small and we will be endangering normal park goers. This is one of their main arguments...

Thanks in advance,
John
By this, do they mean that the park area, where you would launch the kites, is the area where you would be endangering normal park goers... or do they mean the area out in the water, away from the park area, where normal park goers might be swimming, or canoeing, etc.?

The reason I ask is related to what I have always felt: that there is the need for the development of a method to easily and safely launch a kite from deep water, after blowing up the kite on land, and then, walking into the water with the kite, with its lines wound up on the bar... and swimming out away from shore... or instead of swimming out...using the kite to pull you out into the deeper water, by grabbing the wing tips or some bridal line, in the same way a kiter gets to shore, after a self-rescue.

If such a technique were available, and if all kiters would exit the shore and return to the shore using this technique, would this solve the "endangering" of park goers problem?

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi John,
I brought this to the attention of a friend of mine up there with MDWSA (disabled waterski group) who may have some resources or contacts for you in your state. He will be down here kiting this weekend and I will let you know if he has any hopeful info or contacts.
I have more info for you as well- feel free to call me at the # below.

Ryan- really good info dude :thumb:

Lake Seminole in Pinellas County, Florida (250 acres) is 'kiteable' and we have never had an issue the (few) times we have kited there. It has quite a bit of boat traffic and kinda sucks for wind, so no real reason to ride there other than for the hell of it.
I don't know if they any specifics regarding kiting on the lake but we're in very good standing with the park/ county.
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/08_seminole.htm

Regards,
Steve (813) 389-3683
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

In SW Colorado, we kite and windsurf in Miramonte Reservoir. 405 acres. Motorized. It's in the middle of nowhere, so it's just us airheads and a few retired fishermen. Windiest spot around. Gusty most days. It is managed by the Div of Wildlife so it is free from the banalities of the State Park system. It's free, you can camp at the water's edge, drink your beer, kill yourself if you want. Nobody really cares what you do. It's the wild wild west.
You pretty much have to be a meteorologist and be able to drop everything to go when it blows. The water is real cold. If you break down it can be epic. But when it's good, it's awesome. If you squint, you can almost make out palm trees on the far shore. Not too mention snowy Lone Cone Peak towering overhead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBf2_5dLZg

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Our local spot is on Cass Lake in Michigan and gets super busy with boaters in the summer. It's 1280 acres but there are many other lakes around us that I've kited and are much smaller but they really don't have a launching area. We have to boat launch. The Cass lake launch spot is a state DNR regulated park and we don't have any issues. The DNR guys think kiteboarding is very cool and often hang out and talk with us about kiting.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cass_Lake_(Michigan)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I sometimes kite a lake same size near my house. About 1k acre, and long like yours. From its shape and size, your lake is only decent in one wind direction SSW, probably 2 or 3 days a month.

Even if you get access you are in for some serious road trips if you want to kite.

Ask them to let you try it for 6 months. When they see how infrequently you are there, they won't care.

Dj I don't think people water kited Cass lake more than twice or three times all last year.

Return to “Kitesurfing”