Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Long Island
Favorite Beaches: Mayaguana
Style: ?
Gear: North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None

kiting in Myanmar

Postby sson1216 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Does anyone know any good kite spot there besides Ngapali?
Any kite school? I couldn't find anything..

northerner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: kiting in Myanmar

Postby northerner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 am

I have been a very active kiter for 9 years and I lived in Myanmar for two years from 07-09 where I taught in Yangon. I brought a 10 and 14 and two boards, one being light wind. I traveled throughout the country to a number of beaches and even explored kiting in the rivers by Yangon. The reality is the winds of Myanmar are consistently light. Mayish through Octoberish the wind is SW monsoon, November to early March you have cool dry N,NE winds. I lived on a lake in Yangon and I bet I can count on both hands the number of times the wind got strong enough to kite in two years .

I once met with the countries director of Meteorology to discuss the wind in the country. This only happened after the school I was working at sent official letters to the ministry. He was a nice guy that studied at the University of Florida for 6 years. I was looking for that special spot that generated thermals or funneled the wind. He was very guarded about information if he even had it and talked mostly about the seasonal winds and asked questions about the U.S.

I would say the best winds and overall conditions to kite are in the country are at Ngwe Sung beach Ngwe Sung is a developed beach by Myanmar standards straight West of Yangon. It’s 5-6 hours by car. Best day I got there was two days Sept during the monsoon on a 14, waves were nice. The beach is big, long and exposed. I did have a good couple of days kiting at Ngapaili. One day was light wind lawn mowing and the other was a two hour front before a storm, during April. Ngapali’s beach is much smaller than Ngwe Sung and has rocks that make kiting a bit tricky at spots.

I highly doubt you will find another kiter much less a kite school. Myanmar has just started to open up and the people of the country are very poor. I never even saw good snorkel gear that a person could rent at any beach. People visiting the country often are not there for the beaches, but to explore the rich history and environment of a country trapped back in time. That being said the NGO’s that followed after the tragic cyclone Nargis have increased foreign exposure and outside activities.

If you want to go to SE Asia to kite I would suggest Taiwan, Mui ne or Sri Lanka. Thailand has chance, but is tons of light wind.

If I would go back with goal of kiting(I would never this as the wind is to light) I would explore two areas, first would be the mountainous coastline between Mawlamyine and Dawei. I’d guess there is a place where the wind funnels in between the mountains. I heard around Sittwe is windy but never was able to confirm that. So I would check that out during the monsoon. If I would go back for a few weeks not to kite (I would do this) I would try to make it to Namhasan and trek its steep valleys and untouched forest just north of it.

If you do end up going there to kite let us know how it goes

thger09
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lancing
Favorite Beaches: Lancing, Shoreham, Hove
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 12m North Mono 9m

Re: kiting in Myanmar

Postby thger09 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 pm

I've kited in Ngwe Suang - Myanmar. Check out my vlog from there: