All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Backroll kiteloop problem...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Medium Poster

I just started to practise on doing backroll kiteloops, but I can't say that I´m doing very well...

The thing is that if I pop a backroll that isn't very high, then it goes fine to make kiteloop about halfway through the backroll, but when I get some height, about 1,5 meter or so, then I tend to land very hard when I threw the kiteloop.

I assume that reason to why the landings are smooth when I do low backroll pops simply is because I only drop from like 0.5 meter or so. When my backroll pops are heigher then I drop from a heigher height and of course this make the landing feel hard. Or am I way of in my assumption?

Anyway my question is now, how can I soften the landings when I pop high? I think that if I go really high, then maybe it´s easier to complete the kiteloop while I´m still a bit up in the air and hence be able to soften the landing like in a normal jump?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Backroll kiteloop problem...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

the higher you are, the harder the landing is, since the loop pulls you forward...the kite needs to go back up again to catch you from landing so hard.

You can try to steer the kite further behind the zenith, and then pull the kite from there...the makes the kite turn faster around with less lift. The earlier before the zenith you pull, the higher you will go.

And the smaller the kite, the faster it goes around and more likely catches you before the landing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 pm 
Medium Poster

so in order to avoid a hard landing you need to go high enough and loop the kite fast enough to make sure that it completes one turn and goes back up again. How high would say is a minimum to be able to loop the kite and full turn and let it catch you again?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think when you get height you pull it a little too early. wait then pull, you'll be fine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yes good advice here :)
You need to pull the loop quick enough for the kite to come back up and catch you again. And this is easier if the kite still is pulling you up and you are not pulling the kite like after the top of the jump when you are descending. If you pull the loop to late - it will be more like a downloop and you will fall as the kite is at the bottom of the loop. I guess this is what you do right? Try pulling a slightly bit earlier and harder. A small kite - like mentioned also helps a lot.

The hardest thing next after this is to get the kite as low as possible to add style as well as getting it to catch you again, and as high as you might dare ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

remember as soon as the kite lifts you off and you begin to accelerate the tension in the lines decreases so you in effect have to be pulling relatively harder than when you began. A common mistake is to relax your pull or just assume it is a constant force required by your arm. This is especially true if you loop during at the peak of a jump - the initial downturn starts off just fine, then you begin accelerating and traveling towards your kite rapidly. As the kite comes around and is in the middle of the window and is trying to climb - the kite slows dramatically when it no longer has gravity working in its favor. You begin to travel faster than your kite and the lines start to go slack. Pull harder towards the end than you do in the beginning.

[ 6 posts ]