Naish Cult (12)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why no stopper nozzle on my new Naish!!

Postby ollie2shoes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi everyone

I have a subject that baffles me!

I started kite surfing about a year ago. I bought a very cheap 2007 Airush kite with board and bar. This old kite inflated beatifully, I just stuck the pump nozzle in, inflated, pulled the pump nozzle out, the 'stopper ball' stopped the air coming out and I pushed the cap into the nozzle strapping the velcro over top. Easy as pie!

I have just bought a Naish Cult 2010 (never been used)... Why in gods name doesn't it have a stopper nozzle??? This kite cost hundreds of pounds in 2010!! Why would it not have it?? :(
Apart from that it a beautiful kite!!

Am i missing something here guys?

Kind regards

Ollie2shoes

P.S: I paid £300 for this kite... never been out of the bag. Deal or no deal?

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Re: Why no stopper nozzle on my new Naish!!

Postby jedi1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:46 pm

You just don't need this stopper ball. Just stick the pump out, put your finger on the valve and close it fast. Nothing to worry about, really.

As for the price, seems a good deal, enjoy your new kite :thumb:

Pietro_2003
Rare Poster

Postby Pietro_2003 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 pm

jedi1 wrote:You just don't need this stopper ball. Just stick the pump out, put your finger on the valve and close it fast. Nothing to worry about, really.

As for the price, seems a good deal, enjoy your new kite :thumb:
Ditto.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Be happy there is no stopper on your kite :P

As most (in fact all) stoppers will make pumping way harder, and in many cases impossible to get the right (high) pressure - so stoppers in the main nozzle is a :x IMO.

And as the two former posters said - it is no problem just holding the valve with your finger and close it - does not matter if a little bit of air slips out - there is PLENTY in the kite and it wont affect the pressure/stiffness at all :thumb:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

they've added it in the newer kites. For me as long ads they work it is fine, but no biggie either way. I would say using it in very cold weather I could see a bigger benefit with a stopper ball. You'll get a good technique pretty fast tho.

:D

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:02 am

I'm surprised those valves even still exist. After using the liquid force one it's hard to go back to those tiny valves that take forever to pump up. Even the cabrinhas I just got feel like they take forever and those still have a larger valve than the naish/slingshot nipple

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:35 am

dyyylan wrote:I'm surprised those valves even still exist. After using the liquid force one it's hard to go back to those tiny valves that take forever to pump up. Even the cabrinhas I just got feel like they take forever and those still have a larger valve than the naish/slingshot nipple
Agreed! Do you find much less resistance when you get closer to 'full' too?
... I can't believe anyone would choose 'regular' valves over the larger diameter ones :o

Pietro_2003
Rare Poster

Postby Pietro_2003 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 am

Seeming this question of stopper valve has come up I thought I jump in about the Cabrihna Switchblade valve of 2008. This is relevant to me as I just bought an 8m second hand.

What was the thinking there? This is where there is an extra attachment that is screwed onto the air valve with a bayonet fitting for the pump end. What a hassle, it gets stuck and is fiddly to get off when detaching the pump as it acts almost like a locking nut. :evil: Should this stay on while kiting or is it only there for the pumping process? Over engineering in my opinion.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Pietro_2003 wrote:Seeming this question of stopper valve has come up I thought I jump in about the Cabrihna Switchblade valve of 2008. This is relevant to me as I just bought an 8m second hand.

What was the thinking there? This is where there is an extra attachment that is screwed onto the air valve with a bayonet fitting for the pump end. What a hassle, it gets stuck and is fiddly to get off when detaching the pump as it acts almost like a locking nut. :evil: Should this stay on while kiting or is it only there for the pumping process? Over engineering in my opinion.
Agreed, my cabrinhas are 4 years newer than yours and the same problem still exists. It's a pain to have to take the attachment off and screw it on, then reattach the hose to the valve. I don't think it's really any faster or better than the "standard" inflation valve with a stopper ball anyway :/ But that's Cabrinha for you, innovating where innovation is not needed

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 pm

You need stopper balls for small struts as even a small amount of air escaping will deflate the strut enough to make it go too soft to fly. On larger struts, leading edges and one pump systems all stopper balls do is make it harder to inflate and a major pain in the butt to deflate.

Return to “Kitesurfing”