iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: Stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Well that was interesting. Not.

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Was out yesterday on a 2017 Rally 9m and the 41 Ronson nicely powered up in about 23 knots (onshore).

Could see some small 4-5 ft waves stacking up further out so got upwind to them and started a bit of pretend wave riding. You know, let the kite drift while doing a bit of front and back side before sheeting in and stuffing back out again.

Fell off of course but the board started to rapidly disappear in the upwind sea current and after several body drags it was obvious I'd never get to it. So dumped the safety, swam to the board and attached it with a leash i have. Tried to reload the safety and ... no way, a front line was wrapped around my right ankle getting tighter by the second to the point where due to lack of circulation I was starting losing feeling in my foot, and getting tighter all the time as the kite was dragging me along and trying to loop! Don't know how the hell I managed to do that, just chance I guess.

Pulled out my knife and cut the line from my ankle and drifted/swam in about 15 minutes later. Strangely enough it wasn't the safety line wrapped around my ankle but the other front line - weird. When back on shore the board and kite were fine but I could not untie the line looped on my ankle and had to carefully cut it off.

I have the safety line and knife attached to the front of my harness and the knife is a diving knife recommended in a thread here. Expensive but quality (EezyCut Trilobite Line Cutter).
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Well that was interesting. Not.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Thx for sharing!

Sounds scary!

But glad you made it fine!!!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks for sharing.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Why on earth pull a safety on a perfectly flying kite? that makes no sense at all. If you loose your board. Loose it. Never put yourself in danger to save the board!

On a side note. Depower the kite completely at the trim strap. Then put the kite at the zenith. Back stroke upwind. That might work if not too powered. Or swim and body drag at the same time. Usually what i do these days. gets to the board faster.

Next option drag back to beach get another board ride out and find your board or walk up the beach to a more upwind spot that will allow you to drag back to your board.

PS How do you attach your knife to the harness? got a picture. I have the same knife but dont have a secure spot to put it that i can see.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 pm

plummet wrote:Why on earth pull a safety on a perfectly flying kite? that makes no sense at all. If you loose your board. Loose it. Never put yourself in danger to save the board!

On a side note. Depower the kite completely at the trim strap. Then put the kite at the zenith. Back stroke upwind. That might work if not too powered. Or swim and body drag at the same time. Usually what i do these days. gets to the board faster.

Next option drag back to beach get another board ride out and find your board or walk up the beach to a more upwind spot that will allow you to drag back to your board.

PS How do you attach your knife to the harness? got a picture. I have the same knife but dont have a secure spot to put it that i can see.
In onshore wind I was not putting myself in danger, it's a long sand coastline.

I'll go take a pic and post it - I did buy the pouch with it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Here's a pic. I use an Ion Echo seat harness with a Dynabar - the knifeholder is threaded on the bar straps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs8g9lj1ph5y3 ... 4.jpg?dl=0

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:45 pm

You were able to swim upwind towing a crashed kite but you were unable to body drag?

No offense, but this is just completely counter-intuitive to me...

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:You were able to swim upwind towing a crashed kite but you were unable to body drag?

No offense, but this is just completely counter-intuitive to me...
In my distant past I used to be a competitive freestyle racer. :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:08 pm

iriejohn wrote:
In onshore wind I was not putting myself in danger, it's a long sand coastline.
But you did put yourself in danger by pulling the safety then swimming upwind with lines around your legs!

I will never punch out of a perfectly flying kite unless i have lost control of it, wind has gone completely offshore and I cant get back or are approaching land super overpowered
If you are a swimming machine try the kite at zenith backstroke technique. that might work.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 pm

plummet wrote:But you did put yourself in danger by pulling the safety then swimming upwind with lines around your legs!
Unsurprisingly I didn't realise that other than the safety there were any lines near my legs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”