Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naxos or Paros in august?

forum for kitesurfers

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet
Brand Affiliation: None

Naxos or Paros in august?

Postby pmaggie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:44 am

Hi guys, we are planning our usual trip to Greece this summer. Which spot do you please think it's better, Naxos or Paros?

Thank you!

Paolo

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Naxos or Paros in august?

Postby abel » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:26 am

Wind is good in both.
Naxos might be more choppy.
Naxos has a lot of good accommodations close to the beach (Mikri villa). I don't know if Paros (Pounda) increased the number of apartments/studios during the last years.
If you want to go touring on non kitable days, Naxos is bigger and has more attractions to visit.
Either way, enjoy the loveble Greek islands :hangloose:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 10/12/14 for Free Style
RENEGADE 7/9 for Wave riding. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 40+ for the waves.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Both are great places to go. Naxos might be a little gusty but they are both great islands to kite.

My suggestion will be to go to both of them since they are only 45 minutes by ferry boat. Or if you want to save some money you can always kite across. It took me around 35 minutes to cross it and it was not very wind that day (18-22 mph).

Any way this is a video of the island of Paros.

phpBB [video]

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Nobile Flying Carpet

Postby pmaggie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:02 am

Thanks!!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
RENEGADE 7/9 for Wave riding. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 40+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 am

Mr.pmaggie,
In case you need some help, I will be in Athens/Paros/Naxos/Mykonos/Santorini starting July 14th for some EPIC demos. My base will be on the island of Paros until August 13th.

miriam_wakeupstoked
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Dominican Republic (http://wakeupstoked.com/spot-guide-cabarete-kitesurf/)
Los Roques and Isla de Coche, Venezuela (http://wakeupstoked.com/spotguide-venez ... flatwater/)
Hamata, Egypt (http://wakeupstoked.com/kitesurf-egypt-hamata/)
Prassonissi, Rhodes, Greece
Lemnos, Greece
Gear: North Dice 12m, 9m, 7m
Crazylfly Girls Board 132x39 cm
Harness Mystic Diva

Postby miriam_wakeupstoked » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Have you thought about Rhodes in Greece? It's quite crowded in August but the spot is so amazing, flatwater on the left side, waves on the right side.. Totally love it there!

Lemnos in Greece is also a cool and quite new/unknown spot, I'm currently there and checking it out for the first time. It's a huge bay with so much space and the atmosphere at the kite stations are amazing!

But both spots are more the places for kitesurf-addicts, not so much if you want a big choice of restaurants and nightlife ;)

Miriam
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Wake Up Stoked
http://wakeupstoked.com
The kitesurf-travel-blog for wind chasers and wave hunters

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Yes the island of Rhodos is a great place to kite also. Especially at "Prasonisi" which is at the end of Rhodos. Very good for flat water on one side and waves on the other side. For the night life you will need to drive 45 minutes from "Prasonisi" to a place called "Lindos". (see photos of Prasonisi)

Rhodos is the island where I did my Greek army :thumb: The only problem with Rhodos is that it's very far from Athens compare to Paros, Naxos, Mykonos.

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 14.00.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.55.20.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 14.04.58.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.51.06.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.50.30.png
The town of Lindos which is 45m from Prasonisi.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.58.25.png
My 13 year old son Cameron strapless
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.57.59.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 13.54.20.png

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 am

Miriam,Dimitri thanks a lot. Last year I've been in Lemnos and I also visited Rodhes some years ago. I was looking at Paros/Naxos just because I've never been yet.
My vacations are in august, if I'm coming to Paros I will contact you for sure Dimitri, it will be a real pleasure for me to meet a kite legend! Two years ago I was in Kos and I met Nik who I think is a friend of yours and an Epic center manager. He is the most friendly and professional manager I ever met, he really helped me with a leaking kite, he just saved my kite trip.
By the way, do you please know a good place to stay in Paros? We are two families, both 2 adults plus a 10/11 years old child.

Thank you!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 am

Miriam,Dimitri thanks a lot. Last year I've been in Lemnos and I also visited Rodhes some years ago. I was looking at Paros/Naxos just because I've never been yet.
My vacations are in august, if I'm coming to Paros I will contact you for sure Dimitri, it will be a real pleasure for me to meet a kite legend! Two years ago I was in Kos and I met Nik who I think is a friend of yours and an Epic center manager. He is the most friendly and professional manager I ever met, he really helped me with a leaking kite, he just saved my kite trip.
By the way, do you please know a good place to stay in Paros? We are two families, both 2 adults plus a 10/11 years old child.
Thank you!

You are welcome Mr.pmaggie. Yes Nikos is a great person. He is our Greek EPIC rep. He will be in Paros with me helping with the EPIC demos July (20th-27th). Hopefully your kite that was leaking was not an EPIC kite.

Concerning a place to stay in Paros, I did sent you an email with all the info. Let me know if you received it.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am

Hi Dimitri, very kind of you, really!
Unfortunately I did not receive your email. Please try this address: paolo.maggienga@gmail.com.

Thanks a lot!

Paolo

Return to “Kitesurfing”