Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby james » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:05 am

you had a world ranked racer on an Aguera race board that couldnt take you down wind? really?all the racing we have done here with race boards vs sectors has the sector slower upwind reaching and down wind, unless its very rough and 8m kite weather and then the sectors pull ahead down wind.

i am not bashing them as hell i use the 54 a fair bit when its really windy but they dont keep up in normal conditions.

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Schmidy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 am

juaorpo wrote:Hi,

Fin replacement is taking longer than expected. I have a v3 60 and would like to try the tri-fin configuration.

Could anybody owning a v3 66 post some detailed images of the back central fin. I would like to check the cant to find the most similar alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Juaorpo,

I'll try to get a photo of the fins before the end of the day...but all the center fin have 0 degree Cant. Do you mean sweep?

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

Fin replacement is taking longer than expected. I have a v3 60 and would like to try the tri-fin configuration.

Could anybody owning a v3 66 post some detailed images of the back central fin. I would like to check the cant to find the most similar alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Here's a view of it - 22cm

Click on the Sector 60 tab.

http://www.surfstore.co.uk/airush-secto ... -2766.html

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain
Favorite Beaches: Bimini
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby juaorpo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Schmidy wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Juaorpo,

I'll try to get a photo of the fins before the end of the day...but all the center fin have 0 degree Cant. Do you mean sweep?

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:
hehe, maybe... sorry I should be a bit lost in translation. Wrong word. I wanted to mean the thickness of the fron edge of the fin. I have seen some freerace windsurf fins which has a pretty round soft edge.

juaorpo
Medium Poster

Postby juaorpo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:53 pm

ronnie wrote:
Here's a view of it - 22cm

Click on the Sector 60 tab.

http://www.surfstore.co.uk/airush-secto ... -2766.html

Thanks, great page by the way. Possibly the best place on the net to obtain info about the several options. Do you know if they sell replacement fins to spain? :) :)

However, what I need is a real photo. Looking at the fin from the front and back edges. After looking for fin part description, I believe is called foil.

The sweep I guess will be the same as the stock fins the board comes with. The cant should be 0º. Depth 24cm (don´t know if may be better longer or shorter). But the foil (or what I call edge thickness :)) I don´t really know.

A very bad graphic:

-
-
|
|
|
|

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 am

Probably the best look you will get at it will be to set this video to 1080P and maybe also see what the foils on the other fins on your board look like too (unless they are asymmetric).

juaorpo
Medium Poster

Postby juaorpo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:01 pm

ronnie wrote:Probably the best look you will get at it will be to set this video to 1080P and maybe also see what the foils on the other fins on your board look like too (unless they are asymmetric).
Hi, yes they are assimetric (the stock ones I mean, the one I am looking for should be simmetric), tried to check in the video, but not much luck. The best image I could get is this one. By the way, the red line points the edge I want to see on detail. Looking that image, and guessing, seems to be pretty sharp and not rounded foil. most of the back fins I have seen on shops seems very rounded foil edge. I want to see if airush has designed it to be sharp or rounded.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
sector60_v3_trifin_red.jpg

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I know the the v3 54 is far more nimble in the turns and gives up a little on upwind tracking but how does it compare to the 52 in terms of downwind speed and stability?

Also, which v3 sector is the fastest down wind? which one does best at speed in the chop?

thanks! :D

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 pm

It's been so long since I've ridden the 52cm, I can't say how it compares to the 54cm V3. However, I found the 54 fastest downwind just do to less drag (on the same tack as the 60). But a good racer can go off the wind less and get to the mark faster.

I think they are pretty similar in speed in chop, but they feel and sound different. The bigger the bottom the noisier it rides, which can then be perceived as speed.

Here are some GPS tracks. First, the 54 wave riding. Way more fun than I thought it would be.
Sector 54 in Shebs.JPG
Sector 54
Sector 54 in Shebs.JPG (29.27 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Then, the 66 on the big upwind and downwind lines.
Sector 66 in Shebs.JPG
Sector 66 in Shebs.JPG (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
A moment to pimp here. As far as we know, we are the only shop in the US with them still in stock.

- Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:52 am

stafford,
thanks for the input. i am not in a position to be in any races so really i just want the board to haul ass and fly over the chop. i like the boosting potential of these boards so that would be nice.

i just want to know what i would be giving up in terms of performance on the v1/v2 52 vs the v3 54.

i know that the v3 will carve much better but with those surf type fins in thruster setup do you lose that locked in feel of the board?

also, does the v3 60 turn better with the thruster setup than the old 52?

thanks!

Coleman

Return to “Kitesurfing”