MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby MikeBirt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 am

Dr_Rosen wrote:
So the 54 as a light wind wave board instead of a big Fish or?
Definitely not a pure wave board and not a big fish, it's more efficient, faster, much better upwind and early planing. It's a freerace board that goes round corners well enough to genuinely lark around on.. But I would rather be on a fish or board with more rocker and thinner tail if I were lining up down a wave. That said, the 54 goes much earlier, so I may well be playing in more surf with it this year.

Interested to hear someone say the V1 turned better than the V2, I thought the V2 was a marginal improvement.. The new V3 3 fin in the 60 I think will be a big difference, and certainly swapping to the carver set of fins will make the carving difference even greater.. not sure on upwind ability tho..
Stock arrives on the 24th this month to the UK. Should be in shops around the 30th...

Good to hear others finding the same as me with regard to light wind use.. I was pretty stunned when I first tried them, having rolled my eyes at them on paper.. and certainly much more fun than the huge kite option.

:-)

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:10 pm

So at 85 kg, how much earlier would you get going/plane on the 60 compared to the 54? Best guess !

Nothing wrong with big kites. Especially if you are in to unhooked TT freestyle/wakestyle !
On TT I would personally go for big kite/normal TT instead of smaller kite/"TT Door" anytime. Nothing more boring than moving the lawn on a big TT imho !!

But if these directionals work it will be a good alternative to light wind freestyle.

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flylow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Mikebirt.....what's the chop top like compared to your Airush V experience?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:19 pm

I for sure found the V1 and V1.5 easier to turn than the V2. The V2 has a wider tail. It also rides flatter and overall felt more "race board" than V1.

I am dying to know what the skinny will be with the V3s!

- Droffats
www.adventrekiteboarding.com

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 am

flylow wrote:Mikebirt.....what's the chop top like compared to your Airush V experience?
I do like the CTs.. they have a very good turn of speed an efficiency in lightwinds, good control, even foot loading at speed, and although the rail bite is not explosive you can really throw them and keep control. They pale into insignificance when compared to the efficiency of the sector 54 though..
I need to try this big CT lightwind when it comes, as this may be closer to what a sector can do with little power, but for now the CT 5'6 and 5'8 do go very early for a surfboard yet no where near a sector.
The CT and Sector are much closer than the y have been but still totally different creatures for different riding..
The 54 sector V3 will engage the rail as easily as the CT (which is quite an achievement) but when you load power into the turn the 54 will not increase it's bite anywhere near as high as a CT will... That said I can charge around a decent sized wave break on the 54 with impunity.. so it's a big step forward from the V2's in that respect.

Dr_Rosen wrote:So at 85 kg, how much earlier would you get going/plane on the 60 compared to the 54? Best guess !.
Hmmm... the best guess I can offer is against the V2 60 - I am hoping the V3 will be significantly more efficient (I have been told by the designer this is so).. But V2 60 goes upwind much better, and from this you can nurse the board through the lulls and keep it going, and go everywhere.
The 54 will get up and going at almost the same time; it has a higher cruising speed, hence more apparent wind, but it doesn't point as well, so you'll be starting to struggle to hold the spot upwind, and that is the real difference in super light winds... The 60 will go everywhere when it is light (and for me the biggest trouble can be getting back downwind sometimes) whereas the 54 is more of an across the wind style board...

droffats wrote:I for sure found the V1 and V1.5 easier to turn than the V2. The V2 has a wider tail. It also rides flatter and overall felt more "race board" than V1.
Hmm.. maybe it was the lower angle of fin cant that made me prefer the V2.. I felt the V1 that I had (first gen) looked like it had hill-billy teeth and it's fins were always freaking out when I planted a rail with any gusto... The V2 bit and behaved itself!

:-)

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:47 am

MikeBirt wrote:the best guess I can offer is against the V2 60 - I am hoping the V3 will be significantly more efficient (I have been told by the designer this is so)...
did he mean "more efficient going upwind" or "better lower end take-off"? The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering V3 66 as ultimate light wind board, just short of a new race board, but am little uneasy about getting "too much" of the board in comparison to 60. Ideally demo would be the way to go, but that may not be possible. Are you getting both 60 and 66? I'd love to hear any impressions. BTW, I'm ~185lbs

Scooby2
Rare Poster
Style: learning
Gear: shockwaves
Been thanked: 0

Postby Scooby2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Can anyone let me know about how thick the V3 54 is. 2.5, maybe 3 inches? thanks

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:45 am

borist wrote:
MikeBirt wrote:the best guess I can offer is against the V2 60 - I am hoping the V3 will be significantly more efficient (I have been told by the designer this is so)...
did he mean "more efficient going upwind" or "better lower end take-off"? The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering V3 66 as ultimate light wind board, just short of a new race board, but am little uneasy about getting "too much" of the board in comparison to 60. Ideally demo would be the way to go, but that may not be possible. Are you getting both 60 and 66? I'd love to hear any impressions. BTW, I'm ~185lbs
Hey Borist,

If you looking for the ultimate lightwind board than definitely go for the 66! I am only 75kg (165 lbs) and I've been riding the 60 and 66 V3. I think a guy your size would get the most out of the 66. It won't feel big if you are using it as your lightwind machine and you are 185lbs. I'd guarantee you will get more days on it and you will find its super comfortable under feet.

Cheers
Schmidy

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Scooby2 wrote:Can anyone let me know about how thick the V3 54 is. 2.5, maybe 3 inches? thanks
Hey Scooby,

The Sector V3 54 is 6.5 cm, roughly 2.5" thick.

Cheers,
Schmidy :thumb:

Manuel V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Shacks, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: For Surfing:
Rocky Point, Hawaii
Colorado, Nicaragua
Indicators, Rincon, Puerto Rico

Kiteboarding:
Anegada, BVI
Shacks, PR
Style: Intermediate wave, TT hooked
Gear: 6,7 and 9 M Ozone REO V4
9M Ozone Edge V9
12M Ozone Enduro 2017
Flysurfer speed 5 9M and 11M
Jimmy Lewis 5'9" Shack
Cohete Dizer 5'10"
Shinn BronQ 133x41 2015
Shinn Foil Model F
Slingshot Tyrant 5'8" 2014
Stretch The thing 5'6" kitesurfing construction

Postby Manuel V » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm

MikeBirt,

I'm 72 kg (159 lbs) and want to buy a V3 sector my first option is the 54 to use it as light wind board and when the wind goes up a little use the board for more fun like carving, speed, etc etc.. I have 10M and 14M lithium kites.

I know that low end to go upwind depends on each rider technique but based on your experience with the 14M how much knots I need to goes upwind on the 54 board? 8-10 knots would be ok?
Now I have a north nugget and I can't go upwind at 8-10 knots.

If instead of the 54 I buy the V3 60 probably it would be more harder to carve or make transtitions when is 15-18 knots (using the 10M)?

My concern on buy a 60 is that I really don't want to buy a board to mainly use it to go back and forward when the wind is low and them when the wind is 15+ knots the board would be to much for my weight.

I also see the choptop 5'8" as a plan B.

Any comments from other members of the forum are really appreciated.

Thanks,

Manuel

Return to “Kitesurfing”