Forum for kitesurfers
gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby gbgreen59 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:48 pm

I had a custom bag made by Airwave out of San Francisco. Great work.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 pm

I had all the demo boards out yesterday.
54, 60 and 66. A really good day and good to swap around between 4 of us through the day.

We put the 66's centre fin in the back of the 60 to make a 3 fin setup, and I was not alone in liking it a lot. We will have the 3 fin option in stock in the Uk in a few weeks, but for anyone thinking they might like it, I would seriously suggest trying it..
Board felt smaller, faster and livelier, and didn't seem to limit upwind ability at all.. but we were powered, not so sure how well the contrast would be with a big kite 12m+ and 6 knots..

We have 5-20kts on a 10m, offshore winds.. was such a fun day - really started to get the hang of wave riding the 54, and the 60 is a machine in covering distance at speed. 66 needs a bigger kite and flatter more race oriented stance...

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Marc Foraster in Spain riding the Sector V3 54 :thumb:

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm

that is a great picture! Worthy of full page spread in KiteWorld etc.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Hmm There's also the RRD K-Free 60.
just won a slalom event.

Tried it and liked it. Havent tried the Sector

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 am

Westozzy wrote:Got my 54, na na na na na naaaa. :D

Agree with mike birt, they have totally changed my paradigm on kiting in general, and kite type and size selection. They will I think have huge impact on your entire quiver design once you get on one. Wow.
... this is what I said on another thread, these boards were the next leap forward in kite (and board) design. When I first read Darren Marshalls review of the V1 sector a couple of years ago, he was sooooooo onto something!

cheers,

Robbie :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Puetz wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Got my 54, na na na na na naaaa. :D

Agree with mike birt, they have totally changed my paradigm on kiting in general, and kite type and size selection. They will I think have huge impact on your entire quiver design once you get on one. Wow.
... this is what I said on another thread, these boards were the next leap forward in kite (and board) design. When I first read Darren Marshalls review of the V1 sector a couple of years ago, he was sooooooo onto something!

cheers,

Robbie :)

You were right Robbie. We tend to focus on the light wind ability of these but they serve so much more I have found. Like the other day, put a small kite up as was a cranking winter thing, then she dropped out enough to have to change kites, but no, just come into shore, swap on the sector have some fun, watch the front a coming, then as the wind rise again, swap boards. And the lulls would still be considered a decent wind.... 20 knots, but no probs on the smaller kite. So they are not just there to get you out on a bees fart, they do soooo much more. I have also been able to have a 4m diff between my smaller two kites the sector bridges the gap.

Yeeeharrrr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton,Blackrock, Rhosniger.
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas, north Dyno, Nobile fifty /50, Nobile 2HD, Airush Sector V2 52c

Postby Yeeeharrrr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I have had each year of sectors,all the small ones, and as an x windsurf racer I want to lock in up wind and have good control downwind, but not the slap slap bounce of the big wide boards,
I was mega disappointed with my new sector 54, it was neither of the above, but that was no surprise as the swept back fins gave me the clue as what to expect, so out came my 20 cm straight race fins that I had to use on last years sector 52 as the standard fins were too big,
Well! What a difference, fantastic,the difference was amazing, the little sector rose up on to it's fins and swung up into wind, tracked along very quickly and then the gybe was for some reason much easier than on last years, it felt more stable and forgiving as I shuffled my feet around, is there more volume in the back? Or is it cos I have lost a lot of weight? Or both?
Anyways it is way easier to gybe,
So at the moment I am using it with a slot blanker in the rear middle, two 20 cm straight race fins slightly cant-ed in the 2 rear slots,and then the two standard swept back fins in the forward slots,
I think that due to the fins not cant-ed at the same angle there is a lot of turbulence caused by the wash from the forward fins hitting the rear fins, so I am asking has anybody else out there tried other fins to get more upwind lock on?
Are fins available in the uk?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 am

Yeeeharrrr wrote:I have had each year of sectors,all the small ones, and as an x windsurf racer I want to lock in up wind and have good control downwind, but not the slap slap bounce of the big wide boards,
I was mega disappointed with my new sector 54, it was neither of the above, but that was no surprise as the swept back fins gave me the clue as what to expect, so out came my 20 cm straight race fins that I had to use on last years sector 52 as the standard fins were too big,
Well! What a difference, fantastic,the difference was amazing, the little sector rose up on to it's fins and swung up into wind, tracked along very quickly and then the gybe was for some reason much easier than on last years, it felt more stable and forgiving as I shuffled my feet around, is there more volume in the back? Or is it cos I have lost a lot of weight? Or both?
Anyways it is way easier to gybe,
So at the moment I am using it with a slot blanker in the rear middle, two 20 cm straight race fins slightly cant-ed in the 2 rear slots,and then the two standard swept back fins in the forward slots,
I think that due to the fins not cant-ed at the same angle there is a lot of turbulence caused by the wash from the forward fins hitting the rear fins, so I am asking has anybody else out there tried other fins to get more upwind lock on?

yeh wouldnt mind knowing myself. I bought the sector 54 for a rail to rail light wind free ride board which is functional in the surf, hence I have not been dissapointed. But would like to 'lock' in more on the real light wind days.
Are fins available in the uk?

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:59 pm

got the first session on 54 with standard 3 fins... this is my 3rd Sector, I have V1 60 and 52... took me a while to dial it in as I've been riding only my race board lately, but once dialed in it was great... no, it was fantastic... yeah, it may not go upwind as easily as with quad set up, but still pretty good and very fast... by the end of the session i wanted to hug it... very happy :D . it was flat water session, now can't wait how it will do in small surf.

I want to thank droffats from adventurekiteboarding.com for a good deal and for getting the board to me fast!!! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”